S-100 Deluxe - Sound/feel differences to a Standard?

Zelja

Reaction score
For those of you who have both or played both, what do you fell are the differences (if any) between a Deluxe with it's Guildsby/Bigsby & the Standard with it's stop tail?
Any tonal or feel differences between the two?

matsickma

Reaction score
I currently own a Deluxe but had a standard and a reissue. I can't say I recall much difference between the Deluxe and Standard in tone. Feel was similar albeit the additional mechanical presence of the Guildsby. Some of the other guys who have both may notice a string tension difference so wait for other to comment. However you will immediatly feel and hear the difference between the vintage verses reissue models. Neck is different as it is wider on the reissue, pickups are Guild HD1 vs SD's PAF's. I also noted a different feel to the body and horn contours with the vintage models appearing more smooth with the curves. Some of these qualities may not be shared by all and some of the guys have multiples in their collections to compare from.

M

Thunderface

Reaction score
I've never owned a reissue, but I can speak to that there doesn't seem to be noticable difference in feel and tone between the DeLuxes and the Standard/Carved. I noticed a slight difference in the tension between the '73s and the '77 Standard that I used to have, with its closer-to-the-bridge tailpiece, but not amongst the '73s themselves.

I will say though that the presence of the Guildsby makes the DeLuxes a little more fun to play. You might not always want to use it, but its nice to know it's there.

Zelja

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback guys. DeLuxes seem pretty rare on the ground - only 5 show up on the S-100 owners roster.

I'm looking to DeLuxify a reissue I just picked up, hence the question. The "more fun" bit is a winner for me & I already have 3 S-100s so a vibrato equipped one makes sense as a differentiator.

If I can't find an actual Guildsby which went on the DeLuxes then the best bet may be a Bigsby B5 which is for flat top electrics. Not sure if a B7 would work. I'll discuss it with Fixit who will be doing the work.