And then there were three...

Zelja

Reaction score
So I picked up a 72 S-100 in Walnut & a '76 Carved Nature Boy to Go with the '77 in Black I got from Kent (Los Angeles) back in January.

My triumphant triumvirate: :lol:

S100s009sm.jpg

S100s014sm.jpg

Picked up the 72 a few months ago from the US (remember this thread? - viewtopic.php?f=4&t=30996&hilit=mother+of+pearl+wildlife) & got the carved locally (well about a thousand miles away) just a few weeks ago.

S100s013sm.jpg

The 72 has a plastic (?) cover on it, covering up what maybe a route from a previous whammy bar install.

12sm.jpg

I was thinking when I bought it of maybe getting this guitar refinished (in white) but it's way too expensive over here & I've grown to like the walnut as it's a good piece of mahogany. Hopefully I can get it patched up without the need for a full refinish. If I was fully made aware of the issues this guitar had (more on that later) I would of shipped it to Fixit first, instead of directly to here. Oh well...

S100s004sm.jpg

Also anyone know if the tuners are original? No additional holes anywhere.

S100s011sm.jpg

It's interesting the differences between them although they are more or less the same model:

The 77 is the heaviest & has the chunkiest & widest neck - 1 11'16".
The 72 has the narrowest neck (1 5/8") but is fuller/deeper than the 76 which is in between the two in width but feels the smallest in the hands. The 76 is also the lightest of the three.

The different neck geometry & tailpiece position between the post & pre 75 models is pretty well known I guess but I also noticed that the control cavity shape is different:

S100s008sm.jpg
S100s006sm.jpg

The real surprise is just how different the three guitars sound, although the basic ingredients of wood, construction & pickups are the same.

The 77 is the brightest. It has a really percussive attack & great string definition. It's almost Fender like - actually reminds me of a Telecaster Deluxe I had, the ones with the Fender Wide Range HBs, which incidentally was also a black model from 1977. It really rings & resonates too. This one sounds really great for cleans & semi dirty dirty tones & works well with fuzz as well. It seems to stay cleaner when going into the amp than the others which I find kind of hard to explain as volume is pretty similar. :eek:

The 72 is on the opposite end of the spectrum in a way as it has a low mid growl & just drives an amp wonderfully. It just flat out rocks!! The overdrive is gutsy but sweet. Don't get me wrong, the cleans are really nice as well but you just want to crank the amp when you play this. :evil: :D

The 76 is sort of in between the two - not as much growl as the 72, nor nearly as percussive as the 77. The cleans are really sweet & it drives nicely, thank you very much. Surprisingly, I think overall it's closer in tone to the 72 than the 77. I'l probably be able to judge better when I get a setup & new strings on this one as I think the strings on this are lighter ( & older) than on the other two.

The above are mostly with regard to the bridge PU but sort of pertain to all positions as well. Clean on all other positions are really good & useful as well, not to mention the out of phase combinations. Really happy with all of them! 8)

Hagmeat has seen & heard them all as well, so maybe he can chime in with his thoughts.

Although they are not the most pristine examples of the form I really dig them all! Not sure if all three will end up being "keepers" but I'm sure I can convince myself as they do all offer something individual and have their strengths. I'm also looking to pick up a reissue for the wider & chunkier neck & may look to add a bigsby & get it resprayed in white, so I will probably hold off making a decision until then.

The '72 was an impulse buy as the seller said it had a "wide & chunky neck", "accurately measured at 1 11/16" wide" which I really prefer. As a result I was willing to overlook the obvious cosmetic issue of the patch & went after it hard in the ebay auction (I was also under the influence of pain killers and trying some retail therapy after an operation :lol: ). In reality? Ummm, no not quite - 1 5/8" neck actually & not the chunkiest. :( It's not posing me the problems I feared though. It has a few other issues as well which weren't described fully & the seller must have used old pics in the listing. Main problem is that it needs a refret although the frets were described as "medium jumbo" & "frets are in good condition. Signs of wear but far from damaged." It has a smaller roller saddle on the high E string, causing it to sit lower than the other strings. The bridge pickup treble side adjustment screw was missing & there was a piece of foam under that side of the pickup to hold it up (although strangely the screw was on the pictures in the listing, hmmm :roll: ). A few other cosmetic issues as well etc. I was mad at first & but it's not the guitar's fault & it just sounds so good!

Here's the roller bridge - can you see the smaller diameter roller saddle on the high E? Anyone know where I can get one?

S100s010sm.jpg

I'll also probably look to get a new pickguard to replace the cracked one on the carved & that also needs an original strap pin (got some plastic thing on there now).

Sorry for the long post but I felt it was my LTG duty. :lol:

hagmeat

Reaction score
I agree, the `77 is the brightest and also weighs the most. The `72 is the beefiest and reminds me of my `71 with the growly mids, especially on the neck pup, and the carved is a combo of the two. Good catch on the shape of the backplate, my `71 S100 and `71 S90 have the same shape as your `72. I also noticed that the heels are all different too. I enjoyed reading your very informative and detailed post.
Good to see you`re on the mend, play in good health my friend.

Fixit

Reaction score
Nice set of S-100's you have there Zelga :shock: I really like the look of the 72, cool looking mahogany! That patch could be made much less visible as oposed to a re-finish, I wonder what that was all about. Tremolo is the most likely :?: I looked up tuners in Hans's book and didn't spot those. Curious tuners? They look almost like Schallars, but the mounting screw location match the Grover Rotomatics. I would have to guess it probably had Rotomatics on it originally. Good question for Hans.

Cheers

Los Angeles

Reaction score
Guild Total
What a great family!

On the one hand, I don't know quite how I feel about sending the '77 off to you. It actually sounds better than MY black 77. And if I had a logical mind (I don't), I would have sold you mine and kept yours. But I don't have a logical mind, I have a sentimental mind, and Raven and I have been through too damn much to just ship her off.

Here's a theory: If I recall correctly, the pole pieces of your '77 have been waxed. Is it possible that this could account for less growl and a brighter sound?

Looking at that 77, I feel like I do when I fondly remember a summer vacation girlfriend.

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Zelja said:
Also anyone know if the tuners are original? No additional holes anywhere.
S100s011sm.jpg

Hello Zelja,

Those are original on that guitar. They were also made by Kolb in Germany, but only used during a fairly short period. There's a short reference to these tuners in The Guild Guitar Book under the photo of the S-100SC in the lower right hand corner of page 175.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
http://www.guitarsgalore.nl

Treem

Reaction score
Guild Total
Congratulations Z! On the triplets!! :D

Zelja

Reaction score
Thanks guys!
Los Angeles said:
What a great family!

On the one hand, I don't know quite how I feel about sending the '77 off to you. It actually sounds better than MY black 77. And if I had a logical mind (I don't), I would have sold you mine and kept yours. But I don't have a logical mind, I have a sentimental mind, and Raven and I have been through too damn much to just ship her off.

Here's a theory: If I recall correctly, the pole pieces of your '77 have been waxed. Is it possible that this could account for less growl and a brighter sound?

Looking at that 77, I feel like I do when I fondly remember a summer vacation girlfriend.
Forever indebted to you Kent for passing this guitar onto me. I'll treat your old girlfriend well & if I ever do tire of her (unlikely) hagmeat is ready to step in & give her some more LTG love.

I don't think the pickups are the key to the sound difference. The specs are pretty similar DC resistance wise & (what I believe is more important) inductance wise. I think it's more likely the result of the heavier body & neck. I've read that heavier guitars often provide a brighter sound. The clue seems to be that although the 76 Carved has the neck geometry & tailpiece position of the 77, it is far closer in sound to the 72. The 77 is noticeable heavier than the the other two. I've read the neck is the most important thing in shaping guitar tone (excluding pickups & maybe some specialized hardware). Whatever it is, it's still really interesting how basically the same type of guitars can sound pretty different. And I say "viva la difference" cause I like 'em all!

hansmoust said:
Those are original on that guitar. They were also made by Kolb in Germany, but only used during a fairly short period. There's a short reference to these tuners in The Guild Guitar Book under the photo of the S-100SC in the lower right hand corner of page 175.
Thanks Hans! - from page 175 " Note the Kolb "RotoMatic" type tuners that you hardly ever find on a Guild". WooHoo! So that makes the guitar a rarer find - even better.
Fixit said:
I really like the look of the 72, cool looking mahogany! That patch could be made much less visible as oposed to a re-finish, I wonder what that was all about.
Hey Tom. Some luthiers here say that fixing the patch will look worse than not fixing it but I'll take it to the guy who will probably do the referet & try to convince him to give it a go. He's done some really nice work for me before. Theres also an 1" x 1/4" gouge on the back of the neck that I would like fixed. As you say, it is a really nice piece of mahogany & it would be a shame to do a refinish in white even though, as you well know, I'm itching to get me myself some white S-100 goodness.

hagmeat said:
I also noticed that the heels are all different too. I enjoyed reading your very informative and detailed post.
Good to see you`re on the mend, play in good health my friend.
Thanks Rob, appreciate the kind thoughts. Well done on spotting the heel differences as well. These Guilds are unique creatures!
hagmeat said:
Splendour in the grass'
A beautiful gaggle of Guilds there Zelko! Things must be sounding great at your house. Rock on!
Thanks John. You know your part on the 76 acquisition. :wink:
We had a bit of a sesion when Rob (hagmeat) bought over his bandmate Louie who has a nice S-100 reissue. Well we had the amps blaring for a few hours & Louie was in love with all 3 vintage S-100s & my amp, a Valvetech Hayseed 30(AC30 clone with somehow more oomph). He also dug my Orvile LP with the TV Jones Powertron. I think I could have sold him the amp & any one of those 4 guitars on the spot!
The neighbours, of course, loved the show! :D

fearless

Reaction score
Fantastic looking trio there. As someone with an itch to own a late 70s S-100 it is really interesting to hear comments on the tonal differences.

You can get another bridge roller from ABM-Mueller in Germany. They are the company that made the original bridges they don't have the exact same roller, but it is very similar - I'm using on on mine. I suggest e-mailing directly to Peter Borowski - they charge a couple of Euros plus postage.

Peter Borowski, Sales & Marketing
ABM High Quality German Guitar Parts GmbH
Wolfener Straße 36 - 12681 Berlin
Tel.: + 49 (0) 30 93 099 45
Fax : + 49 (0) 30 93 099 48
Mobile: + 49 (0) 172 39 55 246
E-mail: info@abm-guitarparts.de
Homepage: www.abm-mueller.com

fearless

Reaction score
Spot the difference

P8300183.jpg

They use the same groove width for all strings - not ideal, but works OK and the closest you'll get short of a vintage original. I think I needed to get the whole saddle. The screw (if needed) is a little longer but easily trimmed.

Zelja

Reaction score
fearless said:
You can get another bridge roller from ABM-Mueller in Germany.
Thanks Phil but it looks like I've found a vintage one via a generous board member. Is that new one the exact same diameter as the old ones? It looks a smidge smaller in the pics (could be my eyes playing tricks on me).