NGD - The story of a reunited guitar and owner (lengthy)

blakeley311

Reaction score
Ok so here’s the story. I was inspired to write this after reading LA’s account of his 77 black S-100. Here’s my story.

I have owned no less that 30 electrics in the past 15 years. My friends all think I am OCD and nuts, which is probably true. The issue is I am either bummed out by the neck profile, the “deadness” of the body (lack of resonance) or the overall shape of the guitar. I have owned 5 PRSi, 5 LPs, numerous Epiphone LPs (3??), Strats (2), Gretsches, Teles, SGs, Explorers, Flying Vs, a Firebird…you get the point!

So a few years ago I moved to Nashville and started playing guitar quite a bit again. I was interested in getting a band going etc. until I realized how gnarly EVERYONE is at playing guitar here. Luckily I moved here because I had family near and could count on my college degree to land me a “real” job.

I moved with my 67 RI Flying V (the ONLY electric I have consistently owned and the neck profile by which all others are judged) and my Gibson acoustics. I immediately bought an LP and started jamming only to hate the skinny, flat neck on the LP. I did some reading and bought a white RI S-100 and LOVED it. Months went on and I developed what I thought was Carpal Tunnel. I sold the S-100 to a guy in NH and sold my Rivera amp as well. I stopped playing guitar and eventually had surgery on my wrist, which forced me to literally re-learn how to pick, alternate pick, finger pick…well PICK!

So fast-forward to the present, three LPs later and a couple of PRSi, I got the itch while looking at my LP classic to have my white S-100 again. I always regretted selling it and have yet to see another one on eBay. For a while I had an alert every time an S-100 came up. I saw a few green ones that, at the time I wasn’t into, but now wished I had bought. One sold for something crazy like 450.00!

I had no way to contact the guy with my S-100 but had his eBay name. I messaged him a month ago and sold my LP waiting for his response. Oddly enough, he was on LTG casually talking about selling said white S-100. I didn’t hear back then saw LA’s black ’94 on eBay. I know the 70s S-100s are better but I have GIANT hands and knew the nut width was small and the necks were thin albeit rounded. I would own one in a second now, for the record.

A week after getting LA’s black one and having some wiring issues worked out, I get an email with the white one for sale. I put my Rivera combo on eBay (I sold that in 2006 and bought it back in 2008 from the guy) and sold some pedals I had lying around and a 32” TV that has been collecting dust since my old lady and I merged our stuff a few months ago.

Now I am proud to announce that I have BOTH S-100s. I am sure I’ll sell one of them eventually but that’s the nature of this “disease!”

Sorry for the novel. I am normally a lot wordier if that’s any consolation.

Initial report:

The black Guild has a MUCH slimmer neck, the bridge radius doesn’t seem to match the fingerboard radius perfectly and the high E string is pretty close to the edge of the frets. The tone is killer, the guitar has a fair amount of mojo and I dig the all black. A lot.

The white Guild is much more yellow than I remember it, but all of my pics and the recent pics of it make it seem whiter as well. The guitar feels heavier and like there is more finish on it. I LOVE the neck profile and the bridge. I haven’t plugged it in yet but I have 4-5 songs I recorded with it during my initial tenure and know exactly what it sounds like plugged in. It is a little more muted than the black one but the strings need to be replaced and it needs a good cleaning, a turn on the truss rod and the pickups adjusted. Apparently the rhythm pot is scratchy (seller informed me of this) and I’ll fog it down with some contact cleaner.

How many of you guys play the single channel amp game with just a volume knob to clean things up? Do you find the taper on the stock knobs to be adequate? If you modified it, what knob did you use?

Forgive the typos and grammar; I am in a rush to go to a co-write and would spend 45 minutes over-correcting myself.

Blakeley

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
That's quite a pair you have there Blakely! Do you think you can hold onto them this time? :wink:

Los Angeles

Reaction score
Guild Total
Now THAT is a beautiful sight! Hopefully I'll be able to show the "class of '77" soon!

Zelja

Reaction score
Beautiful indeed! I think black & white are THE colours for the S-100. I'd love to get a wide necked white one myself.

Edit: I just realised I was looking at that exact guitar a few weeks ago but passed because the neck was measured at 1 5/8" or less. You got it from Jon, right?

Oh well, happy that you were reunited with a long lost love. :D

parsox

Reaction score
sweet pair
If you have the room keep em both

blakeley311

Reaction score
Zelja said:
Beautiful indeed! I think black & white are THE colours for the S-100. I'd love to get a wide necked white one myself.

Edit: I just realised I was looking at that exact guitar a few weeks ago but passed because the neck was measured at 1 5/8" or less. You got it from Jon, right?

Oh well, happy that you were reunited with a long lost love. :D

You're right. I keep reading that somewhere the necks got wider. I don't get it. This is a 98 and it's got the narrow nut; the 94 has it as well.

The neck on this one is MUCH beefier than the 94.

Why is it so hard to find white ones? Were there less made or are they THAT desirable because Thayil was seen with them all the time? I never knew his main white one was a black one with just the body painted white. First time I watched old footage I kept saying, "Why's that neck black and the body white?!?!"

Los Angeles

Reaction score
Guild Total
I can't know the mind of other people, but I have also noticed that white S-100's are hard to come by and often fetch a higher dollar.

Speaking personally, I think the white ones look amazing. Some guitars just look better with a particular color.

I hate sunburst on strats and teles and much prefer 50/60's bright colors like lemon and seafoam green on Fenders. I like sunbursts on Les Pauls, and hate bright colors on them. I like ES335s and starfires in black, burgundy or brown. There are just some colors that make a design POP.

I see a design in one color and shrug my shoulders. I see it in another color and my eyes pop out of my head and my tongue rolls out.

That's what white or black on an S-100 does to me. It just looks TOO COOL!

I think the color I like least on S-100's is NB (Nature Boy). The caramel color of mahogany does not appeal to my senses in the least on this design. Funny thing is, as a big S-100 fan, I couldn't resist getting a carved NB from '77 when one came up recently.

In "factory" colors, my preferences for S-100s are

1) White
2) Black
3) Cherry
4) Sunburst
5) Nature Boy

Then, of course, there's the legend of the green early reissue. We know of two of them. Are there more? Who will find it? Some questions are never answered. :)

Los Angeles

Reaction score
Guild Total
Oh, and I thought I'd add a link to the thread I posted before taking the plunge and buying my original white '77: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=30480

Hans posted that white was a standard color offering in 1977. I assume this means that it was not offered in white any other year in the 70's.

blakeley311

Reaction score
I remember seeing a few of the greens on eBay and Gbase over the past few years and go for little money. I had an emerald PRS at the time and had NO desire to have a different guitar in green. I would kill for one now.

I hear you on the colors and shapes, LA. I am a HUGE fan of the daphne/sonic blue teles with a maple board but do not like teles or single coils for that matter. I like the black S100 a TON and am glad I have the pair. The white one has a sentimental value and I'm just glad I have that guitar back.

Speaking of said white guitar, I was not the original owner. I am posting a picture below to see if anyone here took the picture. I think I bought it off eBay at the time but I could be wrong. i have scoured my past listings and only find where I sold the guitar and not bought it.

Did any of you have this rig once upon a time?!?!

Hammer

Reaction score
blakeley311 said:
I saw a few green ones that, at the time I wasn’t into, but now wished I had bought. One sold for something crazy like 450.00!

blakeley311 said:
I remember seeing a few of the greens on eBay and Gbase over the past few years and go for little money.

Wait...wha?!? :shock: A few? For serious? I don't bang on GBase's door very often, but I scour fleaBay and don't recall seeing anything but one gawd awful refin a while back. I'd kill for another green one...especially an early reish.

Zelja

Reaction score
blakeley311 said:
I keep reading that somewhere the necks got wider. I don't get it. This is a 98 and it's got the narrow nut; the 94 has it as well.

The neck on this one is MUCH beefier than the 94.
I guess Guild are known for not being overly consistent but yes it the re-issues are supposed to have wider necks. Then again, the black '77 S-100 I got from Los Angeles does have a wider neck than most 70's Guilds (which i appreciate). My '97 SFIV has got a wider neck, chunkier neck which just feels perfect to me so I'm wondering if the S-100s of the era (or at least most of them) are of a similar width & profile.

blakeley311 said:
Why is it so hard to find white ones? Were there less made or are they THAT desirable because Thayil was seen with them all the time? I never knew his main white one was a black one with just the body painted white. First time I watched old footage I kept saying, "Why's that neck black and the body white?!?!"
I dunno. Looking at the data in the S-100 roster, white is the 4th most populous colour - just 1 less than black but less than half as many as the Nature Boys & Cherry ones, so maybe it isn't that uncommon. I'm on the lookout for a white one if I can find the right neck width.

Zelja

Reaction score
^^^^^^
To be clear are you talking about neck depth or "chunkiness" rather than actual width at the nut?

blakeley311

Reaction score
Yes. But the thicker (not wider) neck makes the entire neck feel bigger. If I didn't take out a tape, which I did bc I am the epitome of obsessive compulsive, I would have never guessed. I pride myself on my ability to judge proportions (I built furniture for years) and for tolerances and I was floored when I saw these two VERY different-feeling guitars measure the same at the nut.

My point? If you didn't go into it measuring first you'd never guess it were more narrow.

blakeley311

Reaction score
Random update. I contacted the original owner via eBay to see if he was in fact the first owner or just the owner prior to me. Apparently he still has the case candy and hang tags for my Guild an they're on the way to me. Random but cool nonetheless.