Polara VS later S-100

calvin006

Reaction score
I originally asked this question in the S-100 owners roster, but as Qvart rghtly suggested, the topic should have its own thread. Here's my original question:

calvin006 said:
Hey S-100 lovers... I recently started thinking about finding a Polara. I really dig the unique body shape and from what I've read about the P-90ish pickups, they sound like they are up my alley (I'm a single coil guy).

A lot of you seem to prefer the 70s version of the S-100. I was wondering what the reasons are... Is it the humbuckers? More traditional body shape?

And Thunderface's reply:
Thunderface said:
They're entirely different animals, and I can say that with some degree of certainty since I own both, as do a few others here. The 70s S-100s rule because of the HB-1s. The body shape is great, but it's the HB-1s perfectly married to that mahogany body and the sound they produce that makes it our solidbody of choice. Sixty-three of us, and counting, can't all be wrong, can we?

We've all sang the praises of the 70s S-100s many times, but I think newbie astav might have summed it up best when he stumbled upon a '73 S-100 Deluxe recently:

"So I'm at the local mom and pop hunting for strings when my eye catches an old beater hanging on the wall behind the register - kind of SG like in shape and color. Since I haven't had much luck with SG's in the past, and I need another guitar like I need another mother-in-law, I maintain discipline and go about my string buying business. As I'm checking out though, I can't help myself. The clerk pulls it off the wall, I plug in, and holy crap! The thing sings. Fits me perfectly, plays like a dream. Minutes later, I'm walking out with it - a Guild S100 Deluxe. Haven't really played much else in the last couple of weeks. It likes loud and clean, loud and raunch, fuzz, distortion, delay, trem - whatever I throw at it."

But getting back to the Polara. I wanted one because I fell hard for the body shape and the fact that they are as vintage as I am. Since owning one, I love the sound of the single coils in comparison with the HB-1s of my "Class of '73" S-100s. However, if I had to pick one over the other, I'd still chose one of the '73s because of the HB-1s. Luckily, I don't have to chose, since I'm keeping both -- the Polara and the "Class of '73"! :wink: :D

The other thing is, if recently buying history is any indication, you can find a 70s S-100 for much less than you can a 60s Polara. Since you're a single coil guy, if you can find a Polara that's within your budget, however big or small that is, I'd definitely say GO FOR IT!

Have you seen this Youtube video? It's kind of long-winded, much like this reply, :oops: but you do get a taste of what he Polara sounds like. Now compare that to bluesypicky's tour de force on a '73 S-100.

Thanks Thunderface for the "long-winded" and detailed reply. I had seen that youtube video of the Polara, but not bluespicky's one... some tasty licks there.

I am going to poke around for a Polara at the right price. THe oddball nature of it appeals to me, as do the single coils. If anyone else wants to chime in with comparisons between the Polara and later S-100s, I'd be interested to hear anything further.

Qvart

Reaction score
I could see myself owning one from the '60's, but I like HB's better. However, I was impressed with the p'ups in the S-200 I tried out. Also, the '60's models are rarer and more expensive. That's probably the biggest deterrent for me.

When you talk about the unique body shape, are your referring to the '60's S-100 or the "Gumby" S-200 (Thunderbird)? The S-100 wasn't all that unconventional - it just curved in at the bottom instead of being rounded like the ones that came after. The S-200, on the other hand, was very unconventional.

1965S100.jpg
1965S200.jpg

(Photos courtesy The Guilds of Grot. Hehe.)

calvin006

Reaction score
I believe the Thunderbird has the same HB-1 pickups that S-100s from the 70's have (perhaps someone can confirm that). Maybe that's why you liked them.

I guess you're right that the Polara body shape isn't that unique. Though the funky headstock and pickguard make the whole package look more unconventional. The Thunderbird definitely takes the cake though. I think both are pretty cool.

Qvart

Reaction score
calvin006 said:
I believe the Thunderbird has the same HB-1 pickups that S-100s from the 70's have (perhaps someone can confirm that). Maybe that's why you liked them.

I guess you're right that the Polara body shape isn't that unique. Though the funky headstock and pickguard make the whole package look more unconventional. The Thunderbird definitely takes the cake though. I think both are pretty cool.

Yep, you hit all the points I was thinking dead on. The headstock and pickguard do set it off a bit.

And the Thunderbird does have HB's, but smaller than the beefier version used in the '70's.

I guess I could say more about why I like the '70's S-100's, but I'll have to wait until a little later when I a few minutes to type it up.

EDIT: Here's a bit from an old thread -

newbie Qvart said:
Well, what got me started on all of this was . . . care to guess? . . . the Gibson SG. I decided to invest in a better guitar and I remembered really liking one my friend had years ago (a '61 reissue with '57 humbuckers). That's really the only one I'd want, but not for the money -- over $1500 used. That knocked me down to the SG Standard range and I figured if I was looking at that level SG I might as well get a Guild instead. I saw the band Kylesa and both guitarists were playing S-100s. That's when I really noticed them for the first time. So I figured I'd check 'em out. They proved to be the solution to a couple things I didn't like about the Gibsons -- headstock heavy (so if you take your left hand off the neck it tilts all the way down) and the weak headstocks that snap easily.

That's how I ended up here. Didn't really know much about Guilds at all - much less the '60's electrics - until I was completely sold on S-100's. My first was a '96, but just before that I picked up a '72 S-90 and quickly realized I should go for a vintage S-100. Then came the '74, then the '73, the '75, and the '77. Those were followed by a couple other electrics, three acoustics, and after some divestitures I'm down to what you see in my signature below. Whew!

Csquare4

Reaction score
I will jump in here as I have both a '63 Polara and a '73 S-100. My S-100 is my go to guitar, the one I play just about every day. I just like the way it feels and plays, and of course, the HB-1's sound good with just about any amp I play through. It's light and even though it still has the original frets, they are a bit smaller than I prefer, but I still tend to play this more than any other guitar.

My Polara on the other hand is more of a closet queen. I break it out every couple of weeks and amazingly it holds tune pretty well even with the less than ideal play time. I enjoy the tone of these P-90'ish pickups as a change. They are really hot for Single coils, with a big, warm sound and just a touch of twang on the bridge pickup. The neck pickup is very distinctive and I like the touch response going through some of my cleaner amps. It's got a very "earthy" tone, that just sings when cranked. But it is also in very good condition, so I just kind of don't want to abuse it like I do the S100.

But I do love them both and will keep them both.

Thunderface

Reaction score
Qvart said:
That's how I ended up here. Didn't really know much about Guilds at all - much less the '60's electrics - until I was completely sold on S-100's. My first was a '96, but just before that I picked up a '72 S-90 and quickly realized I should go for a vintage S-100. Then came the '74, then the '73, the '75, and the '77. Those were followed by a couple other electrics, three acoustics, and after some divestitures I'm down to what you see in my signature below. Whew!
And that's where this came from...

Go77QVintage.jpg

And the pre-1970 version

GoVintage64-1.jpg

Los Angeles

Reaction score
Guild Total
calvin006 said:
No, this isn't correct. The thunderbird used small 60's HB1's and the 70's S-100's used the "full-sized" HB1's from the 70's. They sound similar, but not at all the same. Particularly, the output is usually quite less with the 60's mini-HB1's compared to the full sized 70's HB1's.

DasBeef

Reaction score
I do not own a Polara, so I cannot comment on that. The 70's S-100 I do own is quite simply everything a guitar should be. It sounds amazing, and there is a load of sounds you can coax out of it thanks to the phase switch. It plays amazing, and really feels like good quality construction. My one is from 1973, looks like it's been through the wars a bit and is definitely, by a country mile, the nicest guitar I own to play, and I have spent considerably more money on other axes. My S-100 would be the very last guitar I would sell should I ever need to thin my collection. If someone offered me 3 or 4 times what I payed for it, I'd turn it down without hesitation. I'm still unwilling to stump up the £1600 a guitar shop in the UK is asking for one. If I ever find any others in the UK at a reasonable price, I'll be all over them like a cheap suit. FACT

Reaction score
Yep, that is my old guitar Thunderface! I sold it (privately, off of Ebay) a while back to the guy that has it listed for sale now. No association otherwise!!! :D