Did guild actually offer the S-100 in white in the 70's?

Los Angeles

Reaction score
Guild Total
Everything I've read about Kim Thayil's famous white S-100 seems to confirm that the white one we all think of was refinished by a guitar shop in Seattle. I can't seem to find any information on what color Kim's original S-100 was. according to an article, it was crushed at the nut and not repairable.

I also noticed that there isn't a single white S-100 from the 70's on the LTG S-100 chart.

Reason I'm asking is that there's a white '77 that's calling my name. It doesn't at all look like a refin. But it just now occurred to me that it might not be the original paint job.

Anyone actually ever see a white S-100 from the 70's?

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Los Angeles said:
I also noticed that there isn't a single white S-100 from the 70's on the LTG S-100 chart.

Reason I'm asking is that there's a white '77 that's calling my name. It doesn't at all look like a refin. But it just now occurred to me that it might not be the original paint job.

Anyone actually ever see a white S-100 from the 70's?

Hello LA,

Yes, I've seen quite a few. During 1977 'white' was one of the available colors on Guild solid bodies. So if the guitar you're looking at is indeed from that period, there is a chance that it is the original white finish. The model designation on the label should be the giveaway!

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

skillet

Reaction score
Los Angeles said:

*cough* *cough*

(Ok, so it is a refinish, but I'm on the latest version of the chart!) :)

skillet

Reaction score
It arrived last week; weather has been funky here and will probably continue to be so the rest of this week, but I'd like to take some pics w/ natural light when I can. Digging it so far; they did a good job on the refinish.

Los Angeles

Reaction score
Guild Total
Funny you bumped this thread. I just overpaid (a lot) for my new project:

6881893090_c922beb8d2_b.jpg

Consider this a "before" photo.

Thunderface

Reaction score
Sweet! I'll do a Before/After for you like I did with caseygree's (now skillet's) white S-100.

Here's a link to the Guitar World article/poster on the white S-100.

Not that I make a habit of offering your gear to someone else, but perhaps you should PM jodiemeglio to see if he would be interested in those soon-to-be-replaced DiMarzios for his recently acquired S-300D, so he can put the D back in his S-300D. Just a thought.