Count me in...

astav

Reaction score
So I'm at the local mom and pop hunting for strings when my eye catches an old beater hanging on the wall behind the register - kind of SG like in shape and color. Since I haven't had much luck with SG's in the past, and I need another guitar like I need another mother-in-law, I maintain discipline and go about my string buying business. As I'm checking out though, I can't help myself. The clerk pulls it off the wall, I plug in, and holy crap! The thing sings. Fits me perfectly, plays like a dream. Minutes later, I'm walking out with it - a Guild S100 Deluxe. Haven't really played much else in the last couple of weeks. It likes loud and clean, loud and raunch, fuzz, distortion, delay, trem - whatever I throw at it.

I had never even heard of this particular model (or much about Guild solid bodies for that matter) but snapped it up anyway. Sometimes you just gotta go for it. And as I'm checking out, a guy comes in asking about the old Guild that was hanging on the wall the day before. He had slept on it and was ready to purchase. He looks down at the guitar, up at me, connects the dots, heaves a big sigh, and pivots for the door. Come to find out the guitar had been on the floor all of two days. Meant to be, I guess.

Anyway, it's a little thrashed, which is fine by me. We're pretty loud and reckless. It appears to be all original, except for the case I think, and the frets. The frets were replaced at some point, but it was done well and they are in perfect condition. The only real question I have is about the pickups. They sound killer, so that's not a concern, but they are not stamped on the underside and I'm wondering if that means anything? Are these the orig HB1s? They do appear original to the guitar. I don't see evidence of mods to the pickup cavities. Here are a few pics. Enjoy, and count me in!

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
astav said:
The only real question I have is about the pickups. They sound killer, so that's not a concern, but they are not stamped on the underside and I'm wondering if that means anything? Are these the orig HB1s? They do appear original to the guitar. I don't see evidence of mods to the pickup cavities.

Hello astav,

Welcome! Nice guitar ....... and don't worry about the pickups; they are original HB-1s!

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
http://www.guitarsgalore.nl

Los Angeles

Reaction score
Guild Total
Color me jealous!

And welcome to the S-100 club. These guitars are really amazing. The resonance, tonal range and playability are incredible. If you ever consider selling, I'm sure this community would appreciate a first crack at it.

And by the way, the guild pickups are very special indeed. You'll search far and wide to try and find an equivalent, and you inevitably come back.

Remember, the only thing better than your latest guild is the next one. :)

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
"I need another guitar like I need another mother-in-law" So true... but few in LTG have let that fact stand in the way of another acquisition.

Welcome to LTG. Nice guitar!

Dave :D

astav

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. Good news on the pickups. Thanks Hans. Looks like I got a good one. Any tips on cleaning the opaque layer of sweat/grime from the body? It's thickest where forearm meets guitar. Seems to be on there pretty good. Don't want to make it worse.

Thanks again everyone, and if I ever decide to part with this machine, LTG will get first crack for sure. Don't think it'll happen. I do have a Les Paul Classic that just became expendable though;)

Zelja

Reaction score
^^^^
What LA said!

Great story, super score & welcome! :D Also kudos for recognising a great thing when you tried it. Lots of players let brand reputation prejudice their thoughts. You saw through that & have come up a winner.

DasBeef

Reaction score
I'm relatively new here but welcome aboard all the same.

Seeing as I'm a Soundgarden fan, I always had my eye out for an S-100. One popped up in the used section online of a local guitar shop, so I headed along tired after nightshift with a box of effects I was considering trading. After trying out the S-100, I would have just given cash, but they gladly accepted a few of my effects, and we struck a deal. I had bought a Gibson ES-345 about a month before, and had spent quite a bit of cash on it. I had said I wasn't going to buy another guitar for a while. Turns out S-100's are just to good. Rule broken, S-100 bought. So yeah, welcome to the S-100 owners clubs as well. I hope you'll both be very happy together for a very long time!

Treem

Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome aboard astav!

That a sweet looksing S-100 Deluxe! HB1s pickups are the bomb-bomb!

Play it as much as you can and in good health!

Blessings! :D

Russian Guy

Reaction score
Welcome to LTG, astav! Great looking deluxe you got there. To paraphrase Sam Jackson, "I'm trying, trying real hard not to crack and buy one right at this moment" :D

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Clean the grime off with lighter fluid/naptha. You won't hurt the finish. Congratz and welcome!

astav

Reaction score
Thanks for all the good words everyone. What a cool bunch of people. And thanks for the lighter fluid tip, Default. I'd never have thought of it. $799 out the door is what I paid, lager. I was sweating it at the time, it being an impulse buy and all. I feel a lot better about it now though...

DasBeef

Reaction score
astav said:
$799 out the door is what I paid, lager. I was sweating it at the time, it being an impulse buy and all. I feel a lot better about it now though...

As I said in anther topic, I just called up about a '73 S-100 Deluxe, and the shop want 1650 of my UK pounds. That's about $2300 or something.
Anyway, my S-100 was a bit of an impulse buy as well due to the recent guitar purchase, but I'm glad I did it. My second Guild was an impulse buy as well and I don't regret that at all....

Thunderface

Reaction score
Welcome, astav! A beautiful DeLuxe you have there and a great score. $799? Really?! Make that a tremendous score! The other guy, who decided to sleep on it, is now the living embodiment of "you snooze, you lose!"

We now have to count you in on the S-100 Owners Club ranks, once you tell us what year it is.

Thunderface

Reaction score
DasBeef said:
As I said in anther topic, I just called up about a '73 S-100 Deluxe, and the shop want 1650 of my UK pounds. That's about $2300 or something.
Anyway, my S-100 was a bit of an impulse buy as well due to the recent guitar purchase, but I'm glad I did it. My second Guild was an impulse buy as well and I don't regret that at all....
DB, did you decide to get the '73 S-100 DeLuxe? You should. I can vouch for their awesomeness!