SOLD: 1977 S-100, the infamous classic white pro refin

caseygree

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Pains me to even think about doing this, but a piece I've been pining for locally has popped up for sale, and I need to make it mine.

So here goes:

For sale is my 1977 S-100
This started life as Thunderface's battle-scarred cherry red S-100.
Clean headstock, neck and fretboard. But the body had been fractured at some point in its life. Confirmed by multiple luthier sources to be a very clean and very stable repair, whoever did it.

He sold it to me, and in my lust for a vintage white S-100, I promptly had it professionally refinished by Dave Seuferling of Seuf's Guitars in Independence, MO.
He's making quite a name for himself with his relic work and his own "Old Friend" series of custom guitars.

Looks absolutely stellar. Our goal with the refin was to make it look like a Guild that had been sitting in its case under a bed for 30 years. Success.
Very subtle finish checking for character, and man, I'm convinced it just plays better in white :) Had a full setup with 11s performed at that time, including a new bone nut and a fret crown/polish.

Specs/condition are:
- All original hardware, pickups
- Professional refinish
- Frets are low, but level
- Non-original HSC
- New bone nut

Pics:

CIMG0186.jpg

CIMG0187.jpg

CIMG0189.jpg

CIMG0188.jpg

CIMG0190.jpg

Check out Thunderface's super-cool before/after pics on page 2 of this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=27641

Price:
SOLD shipped/paypalled in the continental US.

Contact me here through PM, email caseygree@aol.com or call/text 785.691.5589
My hope is that it sells to the good folks here and I won't have to deal with the lowballers/skeptics everywhere else..

Make it happen!
Thanks,
Case

And so it has been written... :(

Thunderface

Reaction score
Re: FS: 1977 S-100, the infamous classic white pro refin

Somebody needs to make sure this one stays in the family. It has a history with us ... a great guitar with a good story behind it. :D

And this highlights another cool thing about the Forum. Even though Casey was under no obligation to tell me he was considering selling it, he did anyway, just like MisterTV did after he decided the '81 S-250 I sold him, while great, wasn't quite what he was looking for. Told them both there was no need to fret (pardon the pun) about my reaction, but it's cool to me that they would at least consider how I might feel about it. Thanks, fellas, and good luck with the sales (I think the '81 S-250 is still for sale, too).

Zelja

Reaction score

Cooling looking guitar for sure! The Hives should check this one out.

What is the width of the neck at the nut?

skillet

Reaction score

Sent you an e-mail, casey.

caseygree

Reaction score

Thanks for all the interest, folks.

In response to some questions, here is an attempt at getting some closer photos of the frets. Not the best quality, but can give you an idea.
You might be able to get one more crown/fret dress out of the existing ones, but that would probably put you into "fretless wonder" territory -- which isn't necessarily a bad thing, just not for everyone.

Also, the non-original case for this one isn't pretty, but it's functional. One broken latch. Not extremely snug, but I'd reinforce the holy crap out of it for shipping.
Trust me, it will very rarely be seeing the inside of a case :)

photo-9.jpg

photo-7.jpg

Lastly, just for FYI, the body fracture that was oh-so-visible before the refin is still slightly visible in the right light. According to Dave (the refinisher) this will become more visible as the nitro finish ages. Again, that's all character if you ask me -- and probably really far down the line.

photo-6.jpg

caseygree

Reaction score

SOLD pending payment..

Hurts so good...

Treem

Reaction score
Guild Total

Deng, that was quick! and I was not surprised! :p 8)

Los Angeles

Reaction score
Guild Total

OH man. I've been dying for a clean 1977. DYING for one!

I'll take "seconds" if the first sale doesn't work out.

Take care,

Kent

Treem

Reaction score
Guild Total
:shock: TF, was right! :)

Anyone here :?: :)

fearless

Reaction score
Jeez, I turn my back for 5 minutes...!

Congrats on the sale - I'm sure it will be well-loved and I hope the new owner joins the family. Now that he's married into it...

Thunderface

Reaction score

caseygree said:
SOLD pending payment..

Hurts so good...
I didn't think that would take long. Congrats, Casey. Hopefully it stayed in the family.

skillet

Reaction score
It stayed in the family -- I don't have a lot of posts, but I'm a long-time lurker, have been absorbing what knowledge I can from the great people here while waiting to pounce on a Guild. This is my first Guild (first humbucker electric as well given I only own Telecasters and an Esquire); I'm very excited.

As I told Casey on the phone last night, I almost bought this guitar last year before he did after seeing TF's "I want to sell this guitar, but no one will buy it" posts in various threads last year -- I saw pics, kept wondering, "Is something wrong with it? It's a 30+ year old guitar, so who cares about the finish marks if it has the tone? I can't stand it anymore, I gotta contact him." Literally the day I logged in and was about to PM TF, I noticed he had finally sold it. When I saw Casey's post yesterday, my first reaction to the pics was, "Oh my..." and when I read that it was that same guitar, I had to laugh out loud; it was basically sold at that point.

Thunderface

Reaction score
Way to go, Skillet. Glad it is staying in the family. I acquired this guitar in a trade on Craigslist for a '79 Peavey T-60 and while it was battle-scarred, it played great and I would have kept it except for the fact that the "Class of '73" kept growing and something had to give.

I finally convinced Casey that his quest for a white S-100 could be quenched with this former cherry S-100 because, if there was ever a candidate for refinishing, this was it. He took it from there with glorious results, and now it will be your hands. Move over, Tinker to Evers to Chance. It's time for Thunderface to Caseygree to Skillet! :D

Treem

Reaction score
Guild Total
great story Skillet! :D Congratulations both of you!!! :mrgreen:

Zelja

Reaction score
Congrats Skillet. For a single coil guy I think you will enjoy this S-100 & it's HB-1s.

And if you ever decide to sell I'm sure there will be no shortage of suitors right here at LTG.