hagmeat

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 1971 S-100 and I was after these Guild parts-

-grover sta-tite tuners
-guild roller bridge
-4 guild knobs
-guild s-100pickguard(clear or black)
-truss rod cover

Any help or ideas on where to source these parts would be much appreciated. Thanks
(I`ll post some pics when it arrives)

fearless

Reaction score
Re: 1971 S-100 missing parts

I've taken the liberty of posting a photo from the eBay listing:

S-100incase.png

I've done a little bit of looking at Guild parts when I was thinking of re-working a rough craiglist '71 and did a little information gathering.
I'm sure others will be able to contribute suggestions, but here is what I've learned so far:

Grover Sta-tites. Not hard to find. Try http://www.stewmac.com or http://www.allparts.com
Maybe available in Australia too.

I've seen Guild knobs on offer on eBay for $25 each.
Here is a set of 4 for $80 http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 500wt_1156
Note that the seller says "do not fit S-100". I am not sure what the story is there - whether he is referring to re-issues only, vintage only, or all S-100 models.
Of course if they have a different barrel, maybe they could be modified or sleeved. Or pots could be changed to ones which fit the knobs. Unless it is to do with the movement range of the knobs.
I believe some S-100 models had "volume" and "tone" written on the knobs, but don't know which models.
Maybe someone else can enlighten?

There are plenty of after-market roller bridges on the market and some may fit (especially if the mounting holes have been changed to accommodate the tune-o-matic) but finding one same as the original may take some time. To complicate matters, I believe more than one type was used on S-100s, depending on year. Hans would know which was correct for a '71.
I came across a luthier website http://www.nicolealosinacluthiery.com/g ... S-100.html He swapped out the original roller bridge and I asked him if he'd sell it. He said he'd returned it to the owner and would pass on my e-mail to the owner in case he was willing to sell. I didn't get an e-mail, but you might want to try also. Note it is a later model with phase switch so bridge may or may not be same as '71.

Pickguard and truss rod cover - you could have both custom made. But to get originals, the electric interweb is your friend. When searching eBay, use ebay.com as ebay.com.au does not always show all U.S. listings, even if you specify "worldwide" in advanced options.
It may take some patience and persistence. My '68 Starfire IV which was missing one of the string saddles. I e-mailed dozens of U.S. vintage parts suppliers and repair shops and eventually turned one up in the mixed parts box of a repairer. It took a couple of months, but I got there in the end.

Interesting that it has a two-piece body. I've heard of one-piece and three-piece before. Good luck with it all. She's a beauty!

hagmeat

Reaction score

Thanks Fearless,you`re a champion. A while back I got 2 knobs from that guy off ebay as spares for my S-90 (before he mentioned that they wouldn`t fit) but the barrel is too thin and they won`t slip on-they were numbered to 10 and didn`t have volume and tone written on them. The knobs on my S-90 are numbered to 9 and do have volume and tone written on them. In the meantime I`ve emailed Hans with what I need and I`ll wait to hear what he has in stock before I buy anything else. Thanks again for your input. :)

Treem

Reaction score
Guild Total

Fearless - You're a true LTG scholar and a bromigo! 8)

Treem

Reaction score
Guild Total

fearless said:
Treem said:
Fearless - You're a true...
Thanks Treem :D All in the community spirit, right? I've gained a tremendous amount from LTG. Love it!
And that is priceless...

Im looking a Vintage Swithcraft toggle tip, if anybody has a spare that they can let go.

Thank you,

Treem 8)

MojoTooth

Reaction score

so who is going to enable me on an S-100 now!! :lol:

hagmeat

Reaction score
Re: My 1971 S-100

Hi all, I finally got my 1971 S-100 back from the luthier yesterday and I am more than pleased. It took approx 6 months for the complete restoration, but the wait was well worth it.
It looks great and plays like a dream. After hunting down all the parts I needed the project was ready to go.

The restoration included -

a refinish(walnut),refret/fret level,new bridge,new tuners,new knobs,new truss rod cover,new bone nut,
new pickguard,new pickup rings,chips cracks and binding repaired and the electrics rewired.

Before and After Pics coming soon courtesy of ThunderFace

Zelja

Reaction score

^^^^
Can't wait to see (& hear!!) how she turned out. So glad you are pleased! My neighbours want to hear the sound of your Guilds as well. :D

Great props to the community of LTG in helping you to get there as well.

It seems us Sydney boys have delayed gratification when it comes to our Guilds - the 2 I've got have spent a bit of time in the shop & the other 3 will start to make their way over from the US in the next 3 weeks or so.

hagmeat

Reaction score

fearless said:
Congratulations - I'm looking forward to those pics!

Cheers Mate. Thanks for helping me to get the ball rolling on this project.

Thunderface

Reaction score

hagmeat said:
Hi all, I finally got my 1971 S-100 back yesterday and I am more than pleased. It took approx 6 months for the complete makeover, but the wait was well worth it.
The makeover included - a refinish,refret/fret level,new bridge,new tuners,new knobs,new truss rod cover,new bone nut,
new pickguard,new pickup rings,chips cracks and binding repaired and the electrics rewired.

Before and After Pics coming soon courtesy of ThunderFace
I realized I didn't have all the before photos with me so I can't make a more detailed before/after yet. Check back in for the larger, more comprehensive before/after, along the lines of the one I did for Caseygree and his refinned Classic White S-100, in a couple of days. Until then, enjoy this ... (congrats Hagmeat, it looks fantastic!).

HMBA.jpg

Geo

Reaction score

I swore many years ago that I would not let jealousy be a part of my life but it’s things like this that make it very challenging.

Congratulations hagmeat!! She ended up in the right hands. You did real good by the old gal!!!!!!!!! 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

George

chazmo

Super Moderator
Gold Supporting
Reaction score

Damn! 40 years just vanished!!!!

Wow, wow, wow... That is quite special hagmeat. I really love when someone puts this kind of effort into an original restoration. Fabulous!

Thunderface

Reaction score

More comparative before/after photos.

The assembled replacement parts ...
HMparts.jpg

The before, during and after necks, ...
HMneck.jpg

... bodies, ...
HMbody.jpg

... fronts
HMfull.jpg

and changed tuners (schallers to Sta-tites, replacement truss rod cover and neck binding
HMchanges.jpg

kakerlak

Reaction score

Man, that thing looks perfect! Pretty neck, too.

hagmeat

Reaction score

Thanks guys,I`m glad you appreciate the restoration. Special Thanks goes to ThunderFace for putting together the before and after pics,

they really highlight the drastic changes. I ended up sourcing a period correct roller bridge, that one in the parts photo will be kept as a spare.

Cheers