NAD! Guild 99-J

guildman63

Reaction score
Bill,

I sure would have liked that amp, but everything happens for a reason, and it was meant to be yours and not mine or Russ'. However, as everything does happen for a reason I recently came across a mint-condition Fender Jazz King amp, and with the foot switch still in the shrink wrap! I am not yet sure if I will keep it or sell it, but for now it is getting a workout. While it's not a 'boken Guild amp it is a pretty nice clean amp for jazz, and since I already have a Deluxe Reverb and Delta Blues 115 I've got the blues "tube" thing pretty well covered. I hope you are enjoying the 99-J!

Speaking of loud, I have a Fender Twin in our favorite Worcester store on consignment, so if anyone is interested feel free to buy it. :wink: I'm deaf, but my 6-year old thinks it's way too loud. :shock:

Dave

RussB

Reaction score
I feel like I kinda know you guys just from seeing your gear :lol:

You guys remember when Union Music was on Main St?

guildman63

Reaction score
Unfortunately, I just recently discovered Union Music since beginning guitar lessons in Worcester with Rich Falco. I am a transplant from NJ, where all amps go to 11 (or 13, in the case of some of the newer amps).

Bill Ashton

Reaction score
Guild Total
I guess I am the 'geezer of the bunch...I think that I went to the original Union Pawn when it was on a side street, down to the right of City Hall Plaza, before all the Urban Renewal was done to the area...Sidebar: Good job they did, huh? Now they want to tear down the Worcester Center Mall? Might have been nice to leave all those old stately buildings there in the first place, eh? But I digress...

Had just bought an "old" Telecaster privately, and was looking for a place to purchase a new neck pick-up...back in the day (1968), there wasn't no Seymour Duncan or DiMarzio...they sent me to Walberg and Auge in Auburn (where they had just moved).

BTW, that old Telecaster was a 'Nocaster, S/N 0765...and no I don't have it any more :(

PhotosofoldTelecaster.jpg

Bill Ashton

Reaction score
Guild Total
Sorry my images disappeared, I did a little reorganization at my Photobucket account and didn't think about...although the warning was there...the image tags getting changed on my post. :roll:

Will get them back up in a day or so, the images are still in Photobucket so no reason not to...

Bill Ashton

Reaction score
Guild Total
OK, almost been a month, but I think I have all the image tags corrected. If anyone needs pictures taken for further clarification or simply their own edification of comparison, just PM me.

Cheers!

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Bumping this thread, because littlesongs and dapmdave have enabled me into a 99J of my own. More to follow...

Bill Ashton

Reaction score
Guild Total
BTW, that mall in Worcester downtown I spoke of is coming down, what a mess!

How many other examples of "urban renewal" are there that didn't rejuvenate the
downtowns? Lesse, downtown North Adams, MA...downtown Staunton, VA...great
vast vacant lots or one story buildings that look lost. All those beautiful old buildings
that should have been preserved...(granted if they were derelict or not kept up them
demo is sadly the proper fate)...

OK, we shall return this thread to its original topic...

Bill Ashton

Reaction score
Guild Total
Steve, if you go back to the "amp reference" thread that John started and scroll down, there is a 99J that is probably in the livery you are looking for, the one with the brown "Magnavox-Stereo" kind of grill cloth.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5831

Going back into the Premier Guitar article, looks like that started in 1959, though probably can't be certain until you start looking at some component EIA codes. Wild find! Good luck!

BTW, a "Fender (tweed) Deluxe Amp" hand is exactly what you need for a replacement of that...

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
It looks like it has one of those suitcase handles with the plastic grip on the underside of the bail. I might be able to source that at Goodwill, or maybe I can fake it with painted wood.

Bill Ashton

Reaction score
Guild Total
May not have been original though, you won't really know until you strip the wallpaper off! :lol:

Steve, go to Guild's Facebook page, in upper right is a photo with what may well be your amp...note the handle..

littlesongs

Reaction score
423560617_e0f5966fbb_z.jpg

Steve, my sincerest apologies for enticing you to buy another amp. Did they throw in the matching fireplace too?

Took a long look at those pics and it appears that the original covering was two tone like the one in John's thread. Seems like a strip of the lighter tan material peeking out above the controls and some of the darker brown material visible here and there on the back. Hopefully the contact paper comes right off without too much fuss and there's something worth saving under it.

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
littlesongs said:
423560617_e0f5966fbb_z.jpg

Steve, my sincerest apologies for enticing you to buy another amp. Did they throw in the matching fireplace too?

Took a long look at those pics and it appears that the original covering was two tone like the one in John's thread. Seems like a strip of the lighter tan material peeking out above the controls and some of the darker brown material visible here and there on the back. Hopefully the contact paper comes right off without too much fuss and there's something worth saving under it.

I've had the amp here for a few days (now packed and ready to ship) and I'll help...

It is a two-tone. There's no contact paper covering the bottom, which has the original brown covering. And there is a sweet-looking strip of original tweed on the underside of the top of the amp. The grill cloth is in surprisingly good shape, and I'm guessing that would be the hardest thing to replace.

But the fireplace is staying with me! :roll:

Dave :D

PS: Those are NOT my toes.

Bill Ashton

Reaction score
Guild Total
Well Dave, being into March, you guys have to be into sandals, gym shorts and ripped tee shirts by now, aren't you? Just presumed that foot was yours...

"Where's my sunscreen?"

:p :p :p :p

(PS: What am I missing about the fireplace photo?)

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Bill Ashton said:
Well Dave, being into March, you guys have to be into sandals, gym shorts and ripped tee shirts by now, aren't you? Just presumed that foot was yours...

"Where's my sunscreen?"

:p :p :p :p

(PS: What am I missing about the fireplace photo?)

Not quite yet, Bill. Or at least, not every day. But I'll be putting away the socks and shoes soon!

I think the faux fireplace is cool. I have one in my living room (but no Santa clock or red-brick contact paper).

Dave :D

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Diagnosis is a blown output tranny. Will order one in the near future, after bank account rebounds.