New member first post! Help with my '73 Guild S-100

Reaction score
Just got a 1973 S-100 and when it arrived I saw the bridge was missing a saddle piece..I thought it would be an easy replacement but a few weeks later i'm still having difficulty.

I took it off the guitar-here she is.

Bridge.jpg

Aside from trying to replace this, i'm wondering if this bridge would be good to keep. We tune to B (B, F#, B, E...) are the strings going to be flying off this thing?

Is there any direct replacement that does not require drilling?

There is no one around here I would trust with a drill around this thing.

I've emailed Hans Moust already about this...waiting on reply. But other than a replacement, suggestions for a low tuning swap on this???

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Thank you! Looking forward to being part of the Guild gang, this is my first Guild guitar i'm really excited!

Thunderface

Reaction score
First of all, a hearty welcome to you, I-Oz (let me be the first to give you a nickname :D ). You've made a fine choice in a first Guild. It took some of us (aka me) awhile to figure out that the S-100 was the Guild solidbody to have, and you got one right off. How about a photo of the entire S-100 so we can check it out, and some more details about yourself and how you came upon the S-100 and us?

If Hans doesn't have one, someone else just might. Qvart, one of our reigning S-100 experts, will need to add you to the S-100 owner's roster.

roster102710.jpg

rwmol

Reaction score
Thunderface said:
First of all, a hearty welcome to you, I-Oz (let me be the first to give you a nickname :D ). You've made a fine choice in a first Guild. It took some of us (aka me) awhile to figure out that the S-100 was the Guild solidbody to have, and you got one right off. How about a photo of the entire S-100 so we can check it out, and some more details about yourself and how you came upon the S-100 and us?

If Hans doesn't have one, someone else just might. Qvart, one of our reigning S-100 experts, will need to add you to the S-100 owner's roster.

roster102710.jpg

Cool graph. Available for any other models?

Qvart

Reaction score
rwmol said:
Cool graph. Available for any other models?

Not that I'm aware of. Thunderface started it originally and then I made the version you see above. It's mildly amusing for us solid body troops. :lol:

Reaction score
Hello again! Here she is

Guild.jpg

I've been in love with the S-100 since I was a little kid watching Kim Thayil use them. I'm actually a bass player, this is my first guitar ever. I felt great going with a Guild because i've had a B302 and a JS-II and both treated me really well. I wanted to purchase a guitar and this was the only one I would go for! I got a great deal on it but its in desperate need of a new nut and this bridge issue is driving me nutty.

Anyone use one of these bridges and tune LOW with no problems? I'm really paranoid that strings are going to be flying off this bridge!

Qvart

Reaction score
IngloriousOz said:
Anyone use one of these bridges and tune LOW with no problems? I'm really paranoid that strings are going to be flying off this bridge!

Not sure. The string tension is pretty loose even in standard E tuning. Give it a shot and see what happens. I can tell you though that you may have issues with the strings staying seated if you go with a really thick gauge.

Another option would be a post-'75 S-100 with the tailpiece closer to the bridge and steeper neck angle. Those have better string tension and may handle lower tunings better. I did a comparison of the differences in a recent thread if you want to have a look.

Sweet S-100 by the way. If you don't mind, what is the serial number?

And if you haven't seen it yet there's probably a label inside the control cavity cover with the model and finish designation as well as the serial number.

Welcome to the nuthouse. :lol:

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Welcome O' Glorious one!!
You have one of the finest solid body here, and you're in very good hands with our venerated Q... (possibly the only one able to rival Hans on the S-100 knowledge). :shock:
Enjoy it! :wink:

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thunderface said:

roster102710.jpg

Nah, you S100 guys don't have any issues. :lol:

The S300 is the Guild solidbody to have. I mean - it's 200 better! :)

Qvart

Reaction score
GAD said:

Um, some of us have those as well (there's me, TF, stclrob, etc). Or, we just acquire three S-100's to make an S300. :lol:

102510.jpg

Thunderface

Reaction score
Qvart said:
GAD said:

Um, some of us have those as well (there's me, TF, stclrob, etc). Or, we just acquire three S-100's to make an S300. :lol:

102510.jpg

Solid logic, Qvart. Using the same math, I figure I have an S-1100, M-160 and X-82.
AllGuilds.jpg

MojoTooth

Reaction score
gotta add Treem and his 70 S100 to the list :D
edit: just saw the new list!

if all goes well by January youll be adding me to this list also! :D

Qvart

Reaction score
MojoTooth said:

Or if your friend flakes out over what G-name is on the headstock of his guitar you may have one sooner than you think. :lol:

Or maybe I'll just keep them all...

:mrgreen:

MojoTooth

Reaction score
Qvart said:
MojoTooth said:

Or if your friend flakes out over what G-name is on the headstock of his guitar you may have one sooner than you think. :lol:

Or maybe I'll just keep them all...

:mrgreen:
oh no, it WILL be mine if he passes! and then I will just make him jealous everytime he hears it and realizes how much better it sounds than his SG!

Reaction score
Welcome Oz!

Without prying too much, would this be the S-100 from an estate sale in CT and a somewhat unpleasant eBay seller from Guilford, CT?

I'm asking mostly because there was an S-100 that I was looking at that was missing one bridge saddle and I remember thinking that it could take some doing to find that one small piece. I just can't remember where I saw that particular ad!

But fear not - this place is an amazing resource and I figured that if I bought the guitar this is where I'd come to solve the issue. One will appear.