Look What Happened to Mad Dog's S-100!

Reaction score
Before:

S-100_front_Old.jpg

After!

S-100Full.jpg
S-100Close.jpg

With a special shout-out to Mr. Wm. Montgomery, whose name is forever etched in the backplate...

S-100Label.jpg

bb

Qvart

Reaction score
Did you get some HB-1's?!?! HELLYES!!!

After all this talk about pickups those are what you needed.

Do you have the phase switch wired up?

Reaction score
Qvart:

I had a pair stashed away for just such an occasion. I got them on a road trip to Florida from a guitar maker/tech who didn't seem to think that they held too much allure. In fact (after I sensed that he was fairly disinterested in them) he was visibly pleased by my modest offer to buy!

Yes, the phase switch is working as God intended it. The guitar, which was equipped by Mad Dog with a pair of hand-wound Zhangbucker Pagey-2s (http://www.zhangbucker.com/humbuckers.html), sounded quite impressive as it was. Without seeming to appear biased in any way, guess which pickups sound even better?

If anybody's interested in grabbing up the Zhangbuckers (a pet favorite on the My Les Paul forum!), please let me know. They nail Zep at Madison Square Garden 1976!

Qvart

Reaction score
billy budapest said:
I had a pair stashed away for just such an occasion.

You gotta love it when a plan comes together. Nice!

As good as the other p'ups might have been, now it looks - and sounds - as it should. Enjoy!

BTW - that is a beautiful piece of 'hog. Love the grain.

Hammer

Reaction score
Awesome, BB. That did just kind of come together ever so nicely. Kick arse.

Now, Mr Q, put down that burst for a min and update the roster! :lol: Fat chance right now, huh? :mrgreen:

Qvart

Reaction score
Hammer said:
Now, Mr Q, put down that burst for a min and update the roster!

No updating needed. Mad Dog's been on the list for awhile.

Back to the 'burst... :lol:

roster102010.jpg

Thunderface

Reaction score
Way to go, BillyB! That's the way a vintage S-100 should be. Nicely done.

And looking at the S-100 Owners Roster, between the four members of the blue-lined, self-proclaimed "Cool Kids Club" (coined by someone other than me by virtue of having three S-100s), Dane, Hammer, Qvart and myself have amassed a total of 17 S-100s, including 13 vintage ones. That's a whole lotta GAS right there.

mad dog

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Billy B. had one too many Ibanez artist customs, and not enough Guilds. Something had to be done!

That was a cool guitar in my hands, now so much cooler in his. It looks complete, the way it should be, with HB-1s and those black surrounds. Can't wait to hear it with those real-deal pickups, though it could plunge me into post S-100 remorse ...

MD

Qvart

Reaction score
Ah, so I do need to do some updating!

Well, as long as someone around here has it. And yes, MD, you may find yourself GAS'ing after hearing the HB-1's. It's not uncommon around here. :lol:

Reaction score
Yes!! Like all great rock 'n' rollers, I've charted!

Mad Dog, I'm not so sure that there's any upside to dropping around for a strum. I couldn't stand to see a grown man's entire self-concept come crumbling down around him. Still, you're always welcome!

By the way, we did have a great time together, Mad Dog and I. I got a chance to literally swoon over his Starfire VI and he fell hard for my three-pickup, baseball bat, MIJ no-brander (Teisco) than mere money can never pry from my hands!

It's the one on the left:

TripleThreat.jpg

bb

Thunderface

Reaction score
Those are some sweet vintage axes you've got there, Double-B. I can see why Mad Dog would call for that three-pickup Teisco. That thing is sweet. You know what you need for your collection? A vintage American-made 1964 Kapa Challenger, made in Maryland by the late Koob Veneman's guitar makers. Short 24-inch scale, Mustang-style tremolo, Hofner-inspired pickups.

IMG_8527.jpg

Thunderface

Reaction score
I had to have it because it was as vintage (1964) as me, and I couldn't afford the arm and leg it would have cost me to get a vintage Fender or Gibson. Unfortunately, it didn't dawn on me that I could get a '64 Guild S-100 Polara until after I had the Kapa.