The black '74 is in the hospital... :-(

Hammer

Reaction score
Lookee what some knucklehead did to my '74 S-100. :evil: I didn't even really notice until recently, as I don't cowboy chord much on my electrics. The first 3 frets are like that. Either there were nut issues and someone tried to compensate at some point or they decided to try their own hand at fret work and failed, but either way...ugh. It sounds like a sitar if the high E is fretted on any of those first 3 frets. So off to the shop she went today to have them replaced and leveled to match the rest, which are fine, and then a complete fret dressing. Should be a few weeks. Woe is me, whatever shall I play until then. :lol:

Clicky for bigger pictures.

Hammer

Reaction score
Indeed, but...my guitar guy is a wizard and it will be good as new soon. I really had totally forgotten about it until I tried riffing on some Angus yesterday. :lol:

Qvart

Reaction score
Just looked at the bigger pics. Yikes! Ouch! and other assorted sentiments you can fill in on your own. :lol:

On the plus side - that rosewood looks sah-weet!

Thunderface

Reaction score
Bummer about the Black One. I felt compelled to snoop around the photos to see what other Hammeranian goodness was in there, and I had to ask ... have we seen this photo of the Green One before?
th_P6290012.jpg

Hammer

Reaction score
Thunderface said:
Bummer about the Black One. I felt compelled to snoop around the photos to see what other Hammeranian goodness was in there, and I had to ask ... have we seen this photo of the Green One before?
th_P6290012.jpg

I'm pretty sure I've flashed that one once or twice.

Thunderface

Reaction score
Can't get enough of that Green One. You must have constant trouble with reflections while shooting it because it mirrors whatever it sees like one of those photos of a glassy lake in the mountains, where you can't tell the real terrain from the reflection. (back me up with one of your fabulous photos, Joe. :D )

Treem

Reaction score
Guild Total
that is good news bromigo! glad to know that she in going back into your hands! :mrgreen:

Thunderface

Reaction score
That's great news about your black S-100, Hammer. And while we're on the subject, I'll make my point -- the only point I have -- against black guitars, that you can't see them well on stage. Last night's Soundgarden performance on Conan highlights that, where Kim Thayil's black S-100 blends into his dark sweatshirt amid the darker lighting. We'll ignore the lighting for now and said that with the black S-100, he should have worn a light-colored sweatshirt. Or if he was going to wear a dark-colored sweatshirt, he should have played his white S-100.

Best screen grabs off Youtube from last night's Conan performance.

KTonConan.jpg

And his white S-100
ktwhite.jpg

I admit it, it's my hangup. I just like to be able to see the guitar as well as hear it. So Hammer and Treem, as a favor to me and me only, when playing your black S-100s, remember to wear light-colored shirts. :D

jcwu

Reaction score
Thunderface said:
I admit it, it's my hangup. I just like to be able to see the guitar as well as hear it. So Hammer and Treem, as a favor to me and me only, when playing your black S-100s, remember to wear light-colored shirts. :D

Or go shirtless. Which, in my case, is pretty much like wearing a light colored shirt.

Thunderface

Reaction score
jcwu said:
Or go shirtless. Which, in my case, is pretty much like wearing a light colored shirt.
In my case, regarding the shirtless idea, the audience would be screaming for entirely different reasons if I were to play shirtless. It's tough getting old. :(

Hammer

Reaction score
Thunderface said:
jcwu said:
In my case, regarding the shirtless idea, the audience would be screaming for entirely different reasons if I were to play shirtless. It's tough getting old. :(

I'm with you there, man. Anywho...I'm off to go pick her up! Did I mention woohoo? Cuz, well...wooohoooooo! :mrgreen:

Hammer

Reaction score
Ok, no pics yet, but...holy crap. Honestly, if I told you it had never had a refret, you would never know. He actually cut, bent and shaped the frets before even putting them in, just to make absolutely sure they matched the other frets perfectly and, ya know what...I almost couldn't tell anything was done until I played it. It's a friggin' work of art, I tells ya! I decided to try some light top/heavy bottoms (I usually just use lights)...it's got some nice chugga chugga...nails me some Clutch "Binge and Purge" type sound quite nicely. He also found me some bolts that fit the bridge vs the high thumb wheels...that I was not a fan of. It felt slightly better not having the wheels digging into my palm, but it had the bridge tipping slightly forward, so out they came and the thumb wheels back in. A for effort though.

Thunderface

Reaction score
Look at all the time you wasted typing all that detail out when you could have been snapping and posting photos. If it's been said once, it's been said nearly as often as "the TRC is upside down," but this thread is useless without photos.

Treem

Reaction score
Guild Total
Thunderface said:
Look at all the time you wasted typing all that detail out when you could have been snapping and posting photos. If it's been said once, it's been said nearly as often as "the TRC is upside down," but this thread is useless without photos.

Yup +1! :mrgreen: