My S-100 - answering that replacement pickup question

mad dog

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
An update on the '74 S-100 I was lucky enough to find earlier this summer. It came to me in excellent condition, but minus those wonderful stock Guild p/us, also minus the phase switch. Had a Gibson something in the neck, a Pearly Gates in the bridge. Sounded good, but I had a feeling it could be much better.

And so it is. Here's the Guild with new pickups from David Plummer (Zhangbucker) on the west coast:

S-100_front.jpg

And the back:

S-100_back.jpg

David calls these his "Pagey" set, "Pure Handwound." I'm remembering A3 magnets in the neck, A2 in the bridge, mid 8 ohm or so in the neck, mid 7 ohm in the bridge. As these went in, my favorite guitar tech realized the springs were missing in the low E and A saddles, so he put them in. Replaced one cheapo volume pot (apparently installed when the original p/us were pulled), and put a phase switch in.

BOTTOM LINE: These might be the best humbuckers I've ever heard. Like the old Guild p/us, there's more than a hint of single coil and twang in here, especially in the middle setting. I've only so far tried updated S-100 through the tweed twin, but heard enough to know grabbing this guitar was a real good move.

Suprises:
- Somehow, with minor tweaks, this already playable guitar got even more so. 10.5 D'Addarios are perfect on here.
- The out-of-phase setting is OUTSTANDING. What an amazing twangy sound, especially on the low end. I'll use it often.
- The bridge only setting is a revelation. Has warmth and resonance I did not expect.
- Now I can really hear what the resonant body on this guitar is doing. You S-100 fans already know this, but I'm beginning to realize what a superior instrument Guild had in this model. Beats hell out of every SG I've ever tried.

From now on, my answer to the replacement p/u question will be Zhangbucker.
MD