I believe I'll stay in the "Cool Kids' Club" this time. :lol:

3S100s-04.jpg

Made possible by Chazmo!!!

chazmo

Super Moderator
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Rock on, Qvart!

So, hey, is the pin block (or whatever you call it) being close to the bridge something unique to this model, or was that something that owners had a choice (as to where to place it)?

Thunderface

Reaction score
Qvart said:
3S100s-04.jpg

I believe I'll stay in the "Cool Kids' Club" this time. :lol:

Oh, and the guitar's pretty damn beautiful, too.Well done, Q-meister. I take it you're happy with your new fiddle?

Qvart

Reaction score
Chazmo said:
Rock on, Qvart!

So, hey, is the pin block (or whatever you call it) being close to the bridge something unique to this model, or was that something that owners had a choice (as to where to place it)?

You mean the angled tailpiece? It was further from the bridge up until 1975 then they moved it closer. I think it was standard after that, so for the last couple years of production all the S-100's had a shorter bridge-to-tailpiece spacing. Same for other models too, like my S300-A. It definitely makes for a different feel, but this S-100 doesn't feel nearly as tight as the S300-A. Maybe the difference is the number of frets. Anyway, there's going to be a lot of analysis done on this one, especially in comparison to the '73 and '74. In a way I wish I had my '96 here to compare because at first this '75 felt similar to that one. Oh well, I have plenty here to indulge my geek/dork-dom! :lol:

Thunderface

Reaction score
Chazmo, a shout out to you as well for making the midstream course change and getting this one from Hammer to Qvart so seamlessly. At least, it seemed that way from out here.

Qvart

Reaction score
Thunderface said:
Chazmo, a shout out to you as well for making the midstream course change and getting this one from Hammer to Qvart so seamlessly. At least, it seemed that way from out here.

It was totally smooth. Chazmo \m/-_-\m/ 's. :lol:

Hammer

Reaction score
Qvart said:
Thunderface said:

Chazmo is definitely cool peoples. 8)

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hammer said:
Qvart said:
Thunderface said:

Chazmo is definitely cool peoples. 8)

+1 there. Great for everyone involved. 8)

Qvart

Reaction score
Okay, this guitar gets the big thumbs up. I've wondered about the string tension with the closer tailpiece spacing on the later S-100's and I gotta say it's not as extreme as I thought it would be. I think it's similar to the reissues (which have the tailpiece further back but come with a Gotoh G*bson-style tunematic bridge), but I don't have one anymore to test them side by side. I'll have to play all three of these '70's models back to back (to back) and see how different they feel. But I can say for sure that the string tension is definitely not as tight as the S300-A. That one has the same bridge-tailpiece spacing but for some reason feels much stiffer. There's the difference in frets (24 vs. 22) but the scale length is the same. Hm.

Wow, I'm really repeating myself. C'est le pensée out loud, non?

Anyway, no surprise with the sound - basically the same awesome HB-1 sound as the other two. Which begs the question why I feel the need to own multiple guitars that sound alike. And the answer is: No reason. I must hoard them. More! More! More! :lol:

Still need to rip this one apart for some intense cleaning and do a setup. Maybe try to lower the action a bit as it's higher now than my other two. Although the higher action may help keep a looser feel. It certainly isn't difficult to bend the hell outta the strings and I don't want to change that too much. But it's pretty damn dirty. I hate to pull the strings off of it now though because they aren't bad. So I guess I'll just have to play it for awhile before I delve into that project. :darn:

(psst.......I think the '73 is still my favorite though. Shhh!) :lol:

3S100s-05.jpg

Qvart

Reaction score
Looks like this S-100 collected a lot of dust and could have used some more regular maintenance over the years. The result: taking it apart, cleaning it, restringing, etc. took most of the evening. And since it took so much effort, it's worth posting a bunch of pics (because I'm a dork like that). :lol:

BEFORE:

06.jpg

08.jpg

07.jpg

AFTER:

12.jpg

13.jpg

BEFORE:

14.jpg

AFTER:

17.jpg

15.jpg

BEFORE:

18.jpg

19.jpg

AFTER:

20.jpg

22.jpg

WHEW!

Now to let it sit overnight and then intonate and check the relief. I'm pretty sure it had .11's on it. I switched to .10's. String tension is good, and I still think it feels a bit like the '96 I had.

Qvart

Reaction score
bluesypicky said:
Looks like the fingerboard is telling you "thank you" for the moisturizing treatment....

Indeed. Although it ended up looking a bit more dried out than the "after" pic. I'm sure it'll take a few treatments over time. But this is enough for now.

And what's with people pushing the strings down so hard it creates divots in the fretboard? My D35 is like that too. Tsk tsk.

I gotta say it cleaned up fairly decent. The 'hog grain is nice and the color is a nice deep red. Funny, the '96 I had mellowed to the same shade in 14 years (but you could really see the difference on that one under the tailpiece).

Okay, now I'll just have to check it out tomorrow and finish the setup. Gotta let that neck relax a bit. That was quite a facelift tonight.

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Qvart said:
And what's with people pushing the strings down so hard it creates divots in the fretboard? My D35 is like that too. Tsk tsk.
You know, I've often wondered about that myself....
Interestingly enough, I've only noticed it:
A- On older guitars (obviously takes time to dig in)
B- On rosewood boards (anybody ever noticed these "holes" on an ebony board?)

Qvart

Reaction score
bluesypicky said:
Interestingly enough, I've only noticed it:
A- On older guitars (obviously takes time to dig in)
B- On rosewood boards (anybody ever noticed these "holes" on an ebony board?)

Exactly. I guess it would be possible with ebony, but seems more likely with the softer rosewood. Time would certainly have to be a big factor, but playing style must contribute as well. C'est la used-guitar-market, eh?