I don't know if you guys will like this...

danerectal

Reaction score
Feb95_GW_KimBuzzo01.jpg

There's only limited Guild content, which is obviously censored. The interviewers from Guitar World must be total tools.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Geez, it'd be one thing if they just masked off the name, but applying a different brand's name to it is really heinous. I wonder if it's actually illegal!

BurstD55

Reaction score
It is a really neat picture! To me it is professional musicians displaying the reality of how guitar endorsement's are. To me it says 'Hey I really love playing this guild but my band manager says I cant!'

It's strange but true. I am sure all of us guitar lovers pay attention to the brands of guitars we see others play especially those that we look up to.

If you track a professional musician's career they usually start with a brand X guitar and end up with brand Y most often because that company pays more... John Denver for example started out playing Guild but had moved pretty exclusively to Taylor after endorsing a few other brands as well. Or the original Slash Les Paul was a copy!

Hammer

Reaction score
BurstD55 said:
It is a really neat picture! To me it is professional musicians displaying the reality of how guitar endorsement's are. To me it says 'Hey I really love playing this guild but my band manager says I cant!'

Exactly. It's Kim and Buzz! They aren't bashing the Guild...they're just having a goof at narrow minded, blinder wearing yuppies that see nothing but Gibby and Fender (and, no...I'm not bashing Gibby and Fender either...I have plenty of both in my stable! :lol: ).

Thunderface

Reaction score
That look is pretty funny. Buzz's quotes in both the Hype! documentary and the VH-1 Grunge Special were pretty funny.

You can cover up the Guild logo or you can cut it off, like someone did to a 60s Guild Polara that was on sale in gbase months ago, but you can't silence the power of the Chesterfield logo!

danerectal

Reaction score
That's a fact. Knowing them, it was amusing. The best part was how prominent the crown headstock and chesterfield were with the shoddy gibson writing. Seattle sound sounds great.

alpep

Reaction score
I have seen this happen over and over. amp logos blocked out, guitar logos blocked out or covered or altered. This is obviously a slap in the face to gibson but ultimately the artist plays what they want.

I have tons of stories of stages full of gear and a cable going to the favorite amp that is in the back of an empty cab.

mrfjones

Reaction score
I remember seeing a band play and now I don't remember their name but they had a matchless chieftain on stage with the matchless logo taken out and a fisher price logo in front of the lights. I thought it was pretty funny at the time but I know it was because someone had a contract with marshall or fender or somebody other than matchless.

tonepoet

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
There's also the photo of Roy Buchannan floating around where he's playing a Guild T-250 (tele style) with a piece of masking tape over the Guild name on the headstock. It was his signature model, but I'm not sure if it was his beef with Guild or an obligation to Fender that caused the masking tape to be used on stage.

Also, there's the story of the Strat style guitar on SRV's Texas Flood album cover. You'll notice there is no name on the headstock. It was airbrushed over in the photo. Legend has it that it was a Tokai TST-80 that had DiMarzio VS-1 single-coils. There was a year there in the early 80s when Tokai had a couple Strat style models with the VS-1 pickups. I think it was the TST-80 and TST-100? I may have the model numbers wrong, but it is rumoured that SRV loved those pickups and used the guitar on the Texas Flood album. (DiMarzio VS-1 single-coils came stock in Guild Detonators and they do have an SRV vibe to them.)

Have fun,
tonepoet