1974 S-100

brunning

Reaction score
Hello, I've got a 1974 S-100 for sale.

Model S-100-NB

Serial is 106360

Condition and playability is fantastic and it sounds great. Pickups are replacements - Duncan Distortion in the bridge, a Gibson HB in the neck. Pots/caps have been replaced and it's wired up with no phase switch. Other hardware is original. No breaks/cracks/repairs. Finish is excellent, light age checking in places, a few minor marks here and there, nothing you'd notice from more than a couple inches away. It's got a nice smooth, fat sound, it's a great player and a very comfy guitar to play.

Includes a newer TKL hardshell case designed for an SG.

It's located in Brooklyn, NY and I'd like to try to sell it locally. Shipping is a pain in the butt for me. I work some pretty long hours, and finding an adequate box, packing, and getting the guitar to a shipping place will take me forever. If you're not in the area, maybe you have a friend here who could get it for you, maybe you can set something up with a local shop.

If it must be shipped, please bear with me, as it may take me at least a week to get everything in order and get it shipped. I'd expect insured UPS shipping to run $50.

Excellent eBay feedback under the same name (brunning), and I post on many other guitar sites with the same name.

$900

s100_1.jpg

Thunderface

Reaction score
Good looking S-100 you've got there Brunning. I'm sure people will be interested, but because its not all original, with the replacement pickups and missing phase switch, the price tag is too high, in my humble opinion. I think your price would be fair for an all original S-100, but with the modifications, I'm not so sure people will want to meet that price. The biggest attraction for the vintage S-100s is the original HB-1 pickups.

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Thunderface said:
The biggest attraction for the vintage S-100s is the original HB-1 pickups.
My thoughts exactly. The guitar looks stunning, but my interest in a 70's S100 is on the original p/u's no doubt.
Good luck with the sale, regardless!

brunning

Reaction score
ah, ok. thanks for the input.

i'm willing to hear offers, then.

what would you say a fair price for the guitar is?

thanks!

Thunderface

Reaction score
I couldn't even venture a guess. On the plus side, it looks to be in great condition and has a hardshell case, albeit not an original hardshell case. However, with the replacement electronics and rewiring, I can't say what us Guildaholics would offer for it. I will say that you shouldn't give it away. If you're comfortable with $500-$600, that might be a decent range, especially to someone who might have parts to return it to a more original state.

You might want to consider an eBay auction with a low reserve price and see where that leads you.

Qvart

Reaction score
More than an S-90, so I say $600. Maybe a tad more depending on the condition seen up close. That plus original p'ups would get it up around $800 for a buyer.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
It might get you more on Ebay. I would offer $500 for it. In my opinion it would be a $900-1100 guitar (or even more) with:

Original pickups
Original rings - don't forget those!
Original electronics
Original case
mint condition all around

The vintage Guild HB1 pickups are stellar and run upwards of $300/pair on Ebay - that's what hurts the most.
A proper Guild case would be $150
I've never seen a vintage wiring harness, so unless one popped up, that would be a loss
The electronics would have to be at least redone to get the phase switch back into play. At least the hole doesn't look like it was filled.

What you've got going for you is that it looks like a beautiful guitar. Is it as clean as it looks? Original knobs (They're usually the first to go! :) ) and a not very common NB finish without those goofy acorns (Sorry S100 guys - too 70s Earthy-Crunchy for me!)

If you decide to go lower on the price, I live in NJ and might be able to meet you somewhere. Brooklyn is a two hour trip for me though. What with the tolls, bridges and other related NY/NJ nonsense. :)

Qvart

Reaction score
GAD said:
If you decide to go lower on the price, I live in NJ and might be able to meet you somewhere. Brooklyn is a two hour trip for me though. What with the tolls, bridges and other related NY/NJ nonsense. :)

Sorry GAD, you won't like the neck.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Qvart said:
GAD said:

Sorry GAD, you won't like the neck.

I know all about the neck, but for the right price and the shortcomings listed, I could put my vintage Guild HB1s in there, solder up a proper phase switch and whine about the neck while I rock to killer vintage tones from my currently unused HB1s.

Don't forget I have a '78 S300 with a small neck. Every guitar is different. I sold my '73 Starfire that I loved because of the neck, but I had $1200 in that thing.

Qvart

Reaction score
GAD said:
I sold my '73 Starfire that I loved because of the neck, but I had $1200 in that thing.

Yeah, and I'll be there to snatch up the restored S-100 when you're ready to part with it. ;)

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Qvart said:
GAD said:
I sold my '73 Starfire that I loved because of the neck, but I had $1200 in that thing.

Yeah, and I'll be there to snatch up the restored S-100 when you're ready to part with it. ;)

Yeah and I'll probably STILL Sell it at a loss. That seems to be what I do. :)

Thunderface

Reaction score
Your losses is other people's gains, and don't think they don't appreciate you for it. :)

And I know your pain. I've sold a few guitars at a loss as well. It is painful.

mad dog

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Done deal. I sat on Ben's couch last night, played that S-100. It's in great condition, lots of shine still on the finish, binding excellent. Some dings here or there, nothing major. Fretboard excellent, no fret wear I can find. The neck is just a bit different from my S-90. A touch wider at the nut it feels like. Maybe a hair shallower in the carve. The slightly wider neck and general vibe sold me. Very nice guitar. Thanks Ben!

Anyway, now pickups games begin.
MD

Qvart

Reaction score
mad dog said:
Done deal. I sat on Ben's couch last night, played that S-100. It's in great condition, lots of shine still on the finish, binding excellent. Some dings here or there, nothing major. Fretboard excellent, no fret wear I can find. The neck is just a bit different from my S-90. A touch wider at the nut it feels like. Maybe a hair shallower in the carve. The slightly wider neck and general vibe sold me. Very nice guitar. Thanks Ben!

Anyway, now pickups games begin.
MD

Yeah, the necks are similar but don't feel exactly the same. We'll expect a full report now that you have one of each. :lol:

Of course the S-100 has binding too. That changes the feel.

brunning

Reaction score
Yes, great transaction!

Enjoy the guitar, Michael. I'll be checking back for updates on the restoration (or transformation into something new!)

Thunderface

Reaction score
You mean the transformation into something old (as in vintage). I'm guessing MD will be searching for a pair of HB-1s to throw in there.

mad dog

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Big surprise tonight, plugging this S-100 into a larger amp. (At Ben's, played quiet through a small practice amp.) Couldn't hear much ... wasn't expecting much. Thinking ahead to the next pickups, so I wasn't even that curious.

Ran it into the tweed twin tonight, clean boost, delay, outboard reverb. DAMN. This guitar sounds mighty good. Neck p/u is a Gibson of some type. Sweet. Duncan Distortion bridge. Rather nice. Have to turn it up louder to balance the neck. Of course it's not just the p/us. The body sustains. A very lively sounding guitar, big balanced tones. FWIW, the bound neck does indeed feel very different from the S-90. Better.

You GAS-provoking enablers sure were not lying about these S-100s.

MD