Ol' Brown: an S-100 DeLuxe

Thunderface

Reaction score
This story actually started on Dec. 20, when Matsickma posted the gorgeous cherry S-100 DeLuxe he had just acquired via BIN in eBay. At that moment, I knew I wanted an S-100 DeLuxe, so much so that just a few weeks ago, I started the Guild Holy Grail post stating that my Holy Grail was a sunburst S-100 DeLuxe. Since I hadn't seen one since the day Matsickma posted his, I didn't like my chances of finding one any time soon.

Six days after I initiated that Holy Grail post, I stumbled across a somewhat cryptic listing on Craigslist.

SDBlising.jpg

A Guild SBD :?: Parallelogram inlays :?: I wasn't sure exactly what model it was, so I e-mailed the seller who said it was shaped like the SG in the ad. :shock: I immediately e-mailed back a photo of the S-100 DeLuxe page from the '75 catalog asking if it looked like that, and when he said yes, I asked that if he would consider shipping it to me, I would buy it. While I was hoping it was a sunburst, turned out that Ol' Brown, as he called it, was a '73 nature boy S-100 DeLuxe, with an original hardshell case, both in good condition.

We traded e-mails, discussed shipping options and yesterday, Ol' Brown arrived. The guitar, while having a few nicks and some slight buckle rash on the back, is in very good condition for a 37-year-old guitar that has been played. The seller, Les, while initially hesitant to ship, packed Ol' Brown so well that the UPS guys joked that the box could have fallen off a roof and not hurt the guitar. Thank you, Les, both for agreeing to ship it to me and for packing it so well. :p

IMG_0396.jpg

IMG_0397.jpg

IMG_0432.jpg

IMG_0410.jpg

IMG_0416.jpg

I plugged it in and everything works and sounds fantastic. :D :D One last note about Ol' Brown. The SN on it is 82440, just 21 numbers off from Matsickma's cherry '73 DeLuxe.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Congrats buddy, so happy for you! I remember my first encounter with an S100 was at a high school garage band jam about '72 I think. Guy who had it said he chose it because it was what Mick Ronson played on "Ziggy Stardust"..(don't know if that's true) I think he had a Guild amp too..And it was LOUD! :lol:

matsickma

Reaction score
Wow! That is the first nature boy Deluxe I ever seen.

I knew one day you would get one.

Congrats!

M

Maxer

Reaction score
That's a stunning guitar. Congratulations.

What an awesome find. In great shape too.

Geez, I'm salivating up here.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Thunderface said:
Thanks. I owe it all to you, for you planted the seed in my brain.
We warned you resistance was futile...just relax, you won't feel a thing. After a while you'll forget it was ever any different....

Treem

Reaction score
Guild Total
Congratulations Thunderface!!! If you ever think of letting go any of your other S-100....give me a heads up!!! the 77 :mrgreen:

beebop

Reaction score
Congratulation, it's a beautiful piece of art :D

how does it incredibly play ? :mrgreen:

Thunderface

Reaction score
Thanks again, guys. From the moment I figured out it was a DeLuxe, I was worried irrationally that it would (a) get sold out from underneath me, (b) never find it's way to me, or (c) never find it's way to me in one piece. But the seller, Les, was top notch all the way, even though he was hesitant to ship at first. I thanked him profusely and repeatedly for doing all the work, and he really did an incredible job packing it. I wish I had taken pictures now.

The first playing impressions of it have been great. It stands right up there with my other two S-100s, and having the Guildsby is just loads of full. I've had at it with the vibrato during the test runs more than I usually might, and it stays in tune beautifully. It plays more in line with my '73, which makes sense because they're from the same year. They're both a little easier to play than the '77 with its greater string tension, at least for me. However the '77 gives me a little different attitude that I kind of like. A little more bite.

I'll make this pledge to all of you now, too, because I am admittedly blessed to have three vintage S-100s in my possession -- if there ever arises the need to part with one of them, they will stay within the family. I'll offer them up to LTGers first and exclusively. You have my word on it, like you have my word that this is my last guitar. No, wait, I've said that "last guitar" part too many times before. :roll:

Can't guarantee the "last guitar" thing, but I can guarantee that any S-100 divestitures will be to an LTGer.

stclrob

Reaction score
Someone couldn't stand being left out of the cool kids club I think. :mrgreen:

Very nice snag!

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
These pics don't help the GAS y'all have been blowing my way with the S's lately.....
And I have to say, the one thing I'm not crazy about with them is the finish, but this "natural" is by far my favorite one.....
Well done! (Can't wait to see it in the F/S forum! :lol: )

Thunderface

Reaction score
bluesypicky said:
These pics don't help the GAS y'all have been blowing my way with the S's lately.....
And I have to say, the one thing I'm not crazy about with them is the finish, but this "natural" is by far my favorite one.....
Well done! (Can't wait to see it in the F/S forum! :lol: )

The F/S forum? I'm afraid, in regards to Ol' Brown, that I do not know of what you type. :p

Horuss

Reaction score
That's an awesome-looking guitar. Congrats!

You're really making me miss my Deluxe (sold it for financial reasons)

tobaccoblackie.jpg