S-100 sighting on Youtube... The Sword

Qvart

Reaction score
tele4tone said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqOxYDGF_Co&feature=related

I gotta say the part around 3:50 wasn't so good. Nice to see the Guild content tho.

Jeff

Good news: that video is about four years old and hasn't caused a mad dash for S-100's. ;)

I saw them about a year and a half ago and they're better than what you see in that video. In fact, they tear it up. But when I saw them they were all about Explorers and Les Pauls. Good thing - keep the S-100 thing quiet.

danerectal

Reaction score
I was recommended these fellows a while back, but this is the first thing I've heard of them. Pretty heavy stuff. To be honest, I don't think I could tell that was an S-100 by listening. :lol:

tele4tone

Reaction score
I can't stop listening to them. I try to make myself stop, but somehow they always rock out my Zune every time I mow the lawn. I love their riffs, but can't say I am fond of the Laney/Orange/Gibson tone. Do you guys think their is much definition in the recordings? Kim Thayil's lower chords are articulate and pronounced. Still like the riffs tho...

Anyways it inspired me to finish wiring my S-73 with the HB-1's so I can fire it up and start dropping tracks for my band.

danerectal

Reaction score
Choice. I agree Kim has way more definition to his tone. It could just be the slower tempo of his style, but I think it has a lot to do with the rest of his setup too.

Qvart

Reaction score
tele4tone said:
I can't stop listening to them. I try to make myself stop, but somehow they always rock out my Zune every time I mow the lawn. I love their riffs, but can't say I am fond of the Laney/Orange/Gibson tone. Do you guys think their is much definition in the recordings? Kim Thayil's lower chords are articulate and pronounced. Still like the riffs tho...

Anyways it inspired me to finish wiring my S-73 with the HB-1's so I can fire it up and start dropping tracks for my band.

They don't grab my attention as much recorded as live. Definitely worth seeing them.

tele4tone

Reaction score
I plan to see one of their shows. It will be one I have to go alone to however. I don't have many friends in Indy that have a broad palate when it comes to music.

Qvart

Reaction score
Stackman55 said:
Not YouTube, but I found some excellent photos of Ian Hunter and Mott the Hoople! Ian is clearly going nuts on his S-100....I was very lucky to see this tour in Chicago in 1974, it was great!
http://britrockbythebay.blogspot.com/2010/04/mott-hoople-september-1973-april-1974.html

That's actually an S-90. Still cool though.

17%282%29.jpg

Stackman55

Reaction score
Qvart said:
Stackman55 said:
Not YouTube, but I found some excellent photos of Ian Hunter and Mott the Hoople! Ian is clearly going nuts on his S-100....I was very lucky to see this tour in Chicago in 1974, it was great!
http://britrockbythebay.blogspot.com/2010/04/mott-hoople-september-1973-april-1974.html

17%282%29.jpg

Hey, thanks! I always thought he played an S-100 (I have a '73), but I couldn't figure out the electronic layouts in those photos. That explains it, good shootin' Tex!

Stackman55

Reaction score
Stackman55 said:
Qvart said:
Stackman55 said:

17%282%29.jpg

Hey, thanks! I always thought he played an S-100 (I have a '73), but I couldn't figure out the electronic layouts in those photos. That explains it, good shootin' Tex!

And now, for the rock & rollin' video!! This band is GREAT!! Exactly as I saw them!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0CtET6sL6g&feature=related

Russian Guy

Reaction score
Qvart said:
Saw The Sword tonight. No Guild. Next up, KYUSS (lives).

From the videos of their recent shows you can definitely hear that the band is lacking in the guitar department. Mr.Fevery is just not Josh Homme and Gibson Les Paul is definitely isn't on par with Ovation Ultra GP. Although I don't think Homme would sound as great and enthusiastic as he used to in the 90s.

tele4tone

Reaction score
I'm sure his replacement wasn't using Vintage Ampeg amps either. I got The Sword's newer album..... meh They use Orange amps too. Not my favorite.

Jeff

Qvart

Reaction score
Russian Guy said:
Qvart said:
Saw The Sword tonight. No Guild. Next up, KYUSS (lives).

From the videos of their recent shows you can definitely hear that the band is lacking in the guitar department. Mr.Fevery is just not Josh Homme and Gibson Les Paul is definitely isn't on par with Ovation Ultra GP. Although I don't think Homme would sound as great and enthusiastic as he used to in the 90s.

I'm not sure I'm enough of the audiophile to offer the best opinion on the details, but I was thoroughly satisfied with the show and the sound. No complaints whatsoever.

And as for the sound, I thought it was pretty spot on. Of course, the difference in guitars and amps may be noticeable to others, but after being highly-filtered through three Marshall half-stacks and who knows how many pedals and whatnot, I say...

\m/'-_-'\m/

kyuss.jpg

tele4tone said:
I'm sure his replacement wasn't using Vintage Ampeg amps either. I got The Sword's newer album..... meh They use Orange amps too. Not my favorite.

Jeff

As for The Sword...I think I have everything except the newest one on my computer. And again, it's a band I like better live than listening to recorded. However, I picked up Warp Riders on vinyl and it's exactly what you'd expect from them. Not a huge fan of the lyrics, but they're a concept band and as far as that goes, I give it a big ol'

\m/'-_-'\m/

Pwal

Reaction score
Saw them in Montreal with MonstrO and Kyuss Lives a couple of weeks ago. Gibsons all over the place! But the sound was horrible here. I think the venue was too big for them or there just wasn't enough people.

Anyway, good show from MonstrO and The Sword (Barael's Blade was a blast!), but I wasn't impress by Kyuss. I like them, but maybe not as much as I thought, so it was kind of a letdown after The Sword.

Meh, rock on! \m/ :twisted: