Help deciding on finishing my S-100

vehement

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I acquired a 97 S-100 a bit ago with a non-original paint job. Like many I've seen by doing searches on here and on the web, the original owner tried to paint it another color (black). The guy that painted it didn't do a bad job. There's no runs, but a couple of pits, but not in any bad spots. There's no clear over it, so sanding it down shouldn't be too bad. I'm still considering if I'm going to do it myself (time providing) or having www.wilkinsguitars.com do it for me for $450.

Here's what I'm considering. I love the grain and wood look on instruments, and all of my other instruments do not have and solid colored paint on them. So I'm thinking about either doing a stain over it (either the Gibson SG faded cherry color or an amber tinted stain) or painting it a solid color like Sea Foam Green or Surf Green (which happens to be my favorite colors). I just don't know what it will looks like as a Sea Foam Green or Surf Green on that type of body! Since the guitar has already been painted over, there's no way I could have saved the original paint to keep it "vintage". Would it just be appalling to have it this color? Thanks for the advice!

Hammer

Reaction score
I say whatever color you want, go to town. It's your axe bro! I've never been a fan of those greens, but...meh, I could see it. If you want, I could try photochopping one of my white ones to see what it looks like, just lemme know.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
I think your favorite color would be a good bet but I'd love to see Hammer use his white one as a model for you.

Maxer

Reaction score
Either of the trans finishes works for me.

I'd even be tempted to strip it and look into maybe a tung oil finish. Might be pretty slick. I keep thinking I just might do that to mine one day.

vehement

Reaction score
Hammer said:
I say whatever color you want, go to town. It's your axe bro! I've never been a fan of those greens, but...meh, I could see it. If you want, I could try photochopping one of my white ones to see what it looks like, just lemme know.

Yeah that would be great if you could photocopy one!

I just got a Fender P-bass guitar finished in a blue holoflake sparkle and it looks so good! I might consider that for my S-100 also.

Serial Steve

Reaction score
If you oil the finish, you'd better love it because you aren't going to be finishing over tung oil. I love the sparkly stuff, but get it done from someone who knows how to do it right (Marty Bell or Stike at ROWYCO Kustoms). Their prices are probably under what you're looking at too. Stile will do any finish (nitro, poly, etc) and is superb-Marty has the fastest turnaround I've ever heard of (he shoots poly) and his work is flawless.

I'm also a sucker for Surf/Kerry green though. Not much it doesn't look killer on.
010_15A_0001.jpg

Reaction score
If the grain is nice then show it off. I stripped a non-original paint job on a Guild S-60 I bought as a project guitar. After prepping it I put on a couple of thin coats of minwax tung-oil (which prol' is not really tung-oil) and am very pleased with the results.

Thunderface

Reaction score
Vehement,

Did you ever decide on a color for your S-100 refinish? Inquiring owners rosters want to know.

vehement

Reaction score
Thunderface said:
Vehement,

Did you ever decide on a color for your S-100 refinish? Inquiring owners rosters want to know.

Hehe, hey thunderface, I was just thinking about this the other day too. I was going to get Marty Bell to do a vintage transparent green on it, somewhere between an emerald green and a faded version of that. This project has just been taking a back burner now since I just got a '59 Aristocrat and a 01' (I think) M90 and in the market to purchase another vintage amp. I might just strip the bad paint on this S-100 and do a natural stain on it and sell it. This is after I tracked down and original electronics backplate, 4 Guild knobs, 6 Guild tuners, 2 Fender re-production humbuckers and a Guildsby! :cry:

vehement

Reaction score
Re: Guild M-90

hansmoust said:
vehement said:
I just got a '59 Aristocrat and a 01' (I think) M90

Hello vehement,

If you tell me what the serial number is I should be able to tell you exactly when your M-90 was made.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
http://www.guitarsgalore.nl

Hi Hans. The serial# is 9250010. I'm wondering if you could also tell me the year my Paloma was made too? I'll look at that serial number when I get home tonight. Thank!

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score

vehement said:
The serial# is 9250010. I'm wondering if you could also tell me the year my Paloma was made too? I'll look at that serial number when I get home tonight. Thank!

Oh you're talking about that one! I already dated it in this thread:

http://www.letstalkguild.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=19100&p=205352#p205352

However, I can do it again! It's from the beginning of the year 2000.

Sure go ahead and give me the serial number of your Paloma too!

Sincerely,

Hans Moust

vehement

Reaction score

hansmoust said:
vehement said:
The serial# is 9250010. I'm wondering if you could also tell me the year my Paloma was made too? I'll look at that serial number when I get home tonight. Thank!

Oh you're talking about that one! I already dated it in this thread:

http://www.letstalkguild.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=19100&p=205352#p205352

However, I can do it again! It's from the beginning of the year 2000.

Sure go ahead and give me the serial number of your Paloma too!

Sincerely,

Hans Moust

Thanks Hans!