Serial Number - Year for an X-170

drobinson9

Reaction score
X-170's were always "Manhattans" dating back to the '56 catalog.
Guild just liked to give the guitars names back then although the practice dropped off for a while and was revived in the '90's.
BUT the guitar in that listing is dated incorrectly since Westerly was already closed in '02 (closed at end of '01 but new production ceased in late summer) and the Corona built guitars that followed all had a "C" type prefix.
Hans Moust could nail it down exactly for you, but that number "AK171455" sounds like it was likely from '01 and helps narrow down the range for yours.

Thanks for your help!

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Just seen this on line - so mine's a 170 T, Manhattan, then?

X-170's were always "Manhattans" dating back to the '56 catalog.
Guild just liked to give the guitars names back then although the practice dropped off for a while and was revived in the '90's.

Actually, the X-175 was the 'Manhattan' and that goes back to 1954. The X-170 was called the 'Mini-Manhattan' when introduced during the first half of the '80s, but 'Mini' was dropped after the X-175 was discontinued not long after that!

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Actually, the X-175 was the 'Manhattan' and that goes back to 1954. The X-170 was called the 'Mini-Manhattan' when introduced during the first half of the '80s, but 'Mini' was dropped after the X-175 was discontinued not longer after that!

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

(Groan) And I'd just looked at the Targ & Dinner catalog on GAD's site literally a couple of hours before, noting to myself "gosh that model name goes all the way back to the beginning"
Thanks especially for our new member's sake, and I think I might have to start quitting while I'm ahead.

drobinson9

Reaction score
Actually, the X-175 was the 'Manhattan' and that goes back to 1954. The X-170 was called the 'Mini-Manhattan' when introduced during the first half of the '80s, but 'Mini' was dropped after the X-175 was discontinued not longer after that!

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

Thanks, Hans. Is mine (pictured in an earlier post) unusual having the two switches (i'm assuming that it was a limited number made with two switches as there don't seem to be many about?). The serial number is 171367.

Cheers,

Dave

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks, Hans. Is mine (pictured in an earlier post) unusual having the two switches (i'm assuming that it was a limited number made with two switches as there don't seem to be many about?). The serial number is 171367.

Cheers,

Dave

Though not always the case, I think the majority of two-switch X170Ts from that era are likely MARS guitars. See this: https://www.gad.net/Blog/2017/07/30/guild-x-170-t-mars-edition/

Guild-1999-X170T-Mars-FullTop1.jpg

drobinson9

Reaction score
Though not always the case, I think the majority of two-switch X170Ts from that era are likely MARS guitars. See this: https://www.gad.net/Blog/2017/07/30/guild-x-170-t-mars-edition/

Guild-1999-X170T-Mars-FullTop1.jpg

Thanks for your help! So, you'd recommend swapping out those pick-ups, then? Interesting stuff. I have played out live with my X170T and it sounded great, although I did miss the brightness of my strats/teles. I also own a Gibson ES335 and always end up back on the single coils!

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks for your help! So, you'd recommend swapping out those pick-ups, then? Interesting stuff. I have played out live with my X170T and it sounded great, although I did miss the brightness of my strats/teles. I also own a Gibson ES335 and always end up back on the single coils!

Totally a preference thing. I've played out with my X170T, too, and the audience didn't care that I was using Fender HB1s. I find them to be uninspiring, though.

matsickma

Reaction score
One of these days I will swap in a pair of bridge HB1's to see how that cleans things up.
I must admit I am a bit excited to get my hand one one of new NS SF1 models to have the option of selecting which pickups I want tapped. That may be the modification that is really cool. I guess the special multi switch for coil tapping could be utilized as a phase switch and a pair of stacked POT's used to do the split as on NS SF1.
M

matsickma

Reaction score
Never knew the X-170 lost the "mini" in it's origional name. Definitely one of my favorite models and less prone to feedback than a SF 2 or 3.
M

Reaction score
I bought my used X170T a couple of years ago and am curious about the manufacture date and the meaning of the “T” in the model designation. My serial number is AK171434. Cheers.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
I bought my used X170T a couple of years ago and am curious about the manufacture date and the meaning of the “T” in the model designation. My serial number is AK171434. Cheers.

Welcome. The unreliable online listings would suggest 1998 or slightly later since that serial is after that last published number for 1997. Hans Moust usually has more precise and reliable information. He usually chimes in. Don't know about the "T".

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome. The unreliable online listings would suggest 1998 or slightly later since that serial is after that last published number for 1997. Hans Moust usually has more precise and reliable information. He usually chimes in. Don't know about the "T".

I believe the T means Tremolo.

Reaction score

Thank you. I found that listing several places on line too. Post #21 in this thread gives a good explanation regarding a serial number fairly close to mine as a 2001 year manufacture. Maybe mine is the same year. Cheers.