Finally got my S-100 back. Pics!!

kakerlak

Reaction score
Excuse the dustiness of this, it's been sitting in a case for at least 6 years. It was actually in perfect tune when I pulled it out, too, though! It had those rectangle button Sta-tites on it, which I replaced with modern Sta-Tites, as the originals had almost a 1/4 turn of play in them. (originals are in the case, though)

Anyway, from the S/N, this should be a '71 model. It's well worn, but it feels great and it really, really screams. Love the phase switch, too!

PICT1476.jpg

PICT1477.jpg

PICT1478.jpg

PICT1479.jpg

Note that it has no side dots on the fingerboard. This is weird and actually kind of frustrating when playing standing up!

PICT1480.jpg

PICT1481.jpg

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
PICT1477.jpg

The binding looks thicker and more yellow on the bass side. Do you think it might
have been replaced and that's why there's no side dots?

kakerlak

Reaction score
The Guilds of Grot said:
The binding looks thicker and more yellow on the bass side. Do you think it might
have been replaced and that's why there's no side dots?

Nah, it's definitely original. It's a single piece and wraps around the end of the fingerboard and back up the other side. Plus the finish is seamless along its edge. I think it just looks wider b/c it rounds away from the fretboard and the treble side is angled such that not all of it is visible.

danerectal

Reaction score
Nice. Reminds me of my red one on which I recently completed a partial restoration. I'll have to check if mine is dotless on the bass side too. Always good having more company in the SC.

Sarah93003

Reaction score
Very nice! As for no side dot's. People who play upright bass will take white out and make little dots on the side. It is my understanding that it has no ill affect on the finish. You could also get little tiny sticker and do the same thing.

kakerlak

Reaction score
Sarah93003 said:
Very nice! As for no side dot's. People who play upright bass will take white out and make little dots on the side. It is my understanding that it has no ill affect on the finish. You could also get little tiny sticker and do the same thing.

Yeah, I've thought about sticking something or other on there before, just never got around to it.

taabru45

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I've heard of people taking an appropriate size/color knitting needle, and using tiny slices of that inlaid into the side...Probably how they do it in the 1st place. :lol: :lol: :lol: Steffan

kakerlak

Reaction score
taabru45 said:
I've heard of people taking an appropriate size/color knitting needle, and using tiny slices of that inlaid into the side...Probably how they do it in the 1st place. :lol: :lol: :lol: Steffan

Yeah, I've thought about actually inlaying dots before, too. Part of me thinks I should leave it original, the other part thinks that it was supposed to have dots in the first place and adding them would kind of be like completing the original factory work. The third part of me is lazy and tends to win... :wink: