Oddball S-100?

Reaction score
Hiya guys, I have a question for the historian(s)that may be here.I have a '76 S-100 that seems a bit irregular to me.I can find NO pics of an identical one like I can the rest of them.I've seen the ones in natural with the Bas-relief Oak leaves,the cherry red ones with the bound,block inlaid necks and a Hagstrom wangs.I 've seen white ones,and even one with a Burns wang bar.Jay Pilzer has seen it and it stumped him....
I don't have any good pics to put up of it yet,but I'm working on that so for right now I'll have to make do with verbally describing it.
1.white finish,w/short spaced tailpiece,shaller tuners and roller(heard it called a Muller) bridge.
2.1 5/8th" at the nut,the others I've seen were 1 11/16ths".
3.unbound,with dot inlays,not blocks w/ binding.
4.(and this is the biggie)clear,w/black "Guild" logo and not a black,guard plate.
Is there a possiblity this one was ordered rather than off-the-shelf?
I bought it in '92 and it's been my good right arm the whole time I've had it,I don't know what I'd do without it...It's ugly though-the finish is leaving it rapidly.The neck is 1/2 bare and there are patches missing in various places on the body,but it's all original-no SD's or DiMarzios,factory HB-1s which I'm MAD about! Any ideas? :?:

stclrob

Reaction score
stratweenie57 said:
Hiya guys, I have a question for the historian(s)that may be here.I have a '76 S-100 that seems a bit irregular to me.I can find NO pics of an identical one like I can the rest of them.I've seen the ones in natural with the Bas-relief Oak leaves,the cherry red ones with the bound,block inlaid necks and a Hagstrom wangs.I 've seen white ones,and even one with a Burns wang bar.Jay Pilzer has seen it and it stumped him....
I don't have any good pics to put up of it yet,but I'm working on that so for right now I'll have to make do with verbally describing it.
1.white finish,w/short spaced tailpiece,shaller tuners and roller(heard it called a Muller) bridge.
4.(and this is the biggie)clear,w/black "Guild" logo and not a black,guard plate.
I bought it in '92 and it's been my good right arm the whole time I've had it,I don't know what I'd do without it...It's ugly though-the finish is leaving it rapidly.The neck is 1/2 bare and there are patches missing in various places on the body,but it's all original-no SD's or DiMarzios,factory HB-1s which I'm MAD about! Any ideas? :?:

We talked about a white S-100 with dot inlays a while back. They happened in small batches per this link. Post a pic! And Welcome!

...from that link:
hansmoust said:
Hello Qvart,

The white S-100 with the dot inlays was part of a small batch of S-100s that were done during the mid-'70s. Might have been a 'special order' for a store, which was not an unusual policy for Guild.
They look kind of cool!

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
http://www.guitarsgalore.nl

danerectal

Reaction score
The sooner you get some pictures rolling, the better. I'd really like to see how the clear pickguard looks against that white finish, as I've not seen that anywhere else.

Qvart

Reaction score
stratweenie57 said:

Yep, most of that sounds perfectly normal - short tailpiece spacing (for that year), roller bridge, Schallers, 1 5/8" nut (that's what my '74 is. My '96 is 1 11/16"). And it does sound like one of the ones we discussed in that other thread. Which makes it fairly rare and quite cool. The clear pickguard is quirky. Too bad about the problems with the finish. Think it's worth a refin? Can't wait to see some pics!

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
stratweenie57 said:
I have a '76 S-100 that seems a bit irregular to me. I don't have any good pics to put up of it yet,but I'm working on that so for right now I'll have to make do with verbally describing it.

Hello stratweenie57,

Welcome! You certainly have a rather rare guitar but it's not unheard of. Unfortunately Guild didn't keep good records so we'll have to do with the memories of the people who worked there during that particular period. So far the ones that I've seen were all part of a small batch and it looks like these were done for a specific retail store, which was not an unusual policy at Guild. Very often it was also a way to get rid of 'old stock' since it didn't matter if the specs were a little different from the regular ones; after all it was a 'special run'. The manufacturing date of these white S-100s coincided with the introduction of the 'then new' S-300, so it was the 'right time' to get rid of the parts for the 'old' model.

danerectal said:
The sooner you get some pictures rolling, the better. I'd really like to see how the clear pickguard looks against that white finish, as I've not seen that anywhere else.

I would love to see some photos too but I can already show you what the pickguard would look like:

S100White_1.jpg

I assume the S-100 in question is pretty much like the one that's partly shown in the photo. Obviously the switch tip on that one has been replaced but other than that it looked like all the others I've seen so far.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
http://www.guitarsgalore.nl

Reaction score
Thanks Hans! That's it!Of course there's more paint on your pic than on my guitar but the yellowing is about the same. :D

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
When I bought my first Guild, the store owner remarked that guild only required you to buy 5 guitars to be a dealer.