Mello just joined!

mellowgerman

Reaction score
Hi all you solid/chambered enthusiasts!
I'm glad to say that I just joined the club by picking up my very own 1997 S-100 at a local pawn shop :D
Normally I wouldn't even have gone near it but this time the curiously low price tag caught my eye.
I'm guessing it was due to a couple quirks that it does have:
1. dings and finish chips here and there
2. the bridge pickup has been switched out (also a seymour duncan humbucker though; sounds excellent)
3. tiny bit of hardly noticable loose binding on the treble side of the fretboard between the nut and the first fret
4. some damage by the input jack from being bumped while plugged in I presume. there is a tiny bit of wood cracking but it is solid and seems to have been fixed. this leaves just two finish cracks that are both less than an inch in size.
Neck pickup, all the wiring, and all the hardware appears to be original and in excellent shape. Very little fret wear.
The main seller for me though, was the way it feels and sounds. Absolute heaven. The most comfortable guitar I have ever played! Can't get enough of this neck.
Long story short, I walked out of the store with this guitar and $650 less on my debit account.
All things considered though (including the non-original, but very nice hardshell case that came with it), I'd say this one was a steal :mrgreen:
07290912281.jpg

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Congratulations! Does Mello like the tone? J

mellowgerman

Reaction score
Mello loves the tone! It's so versatile.
I always loved the phase switch on my dad's buddy's breadwinner guitar. Now I have one of my own :mrgreen:
Also, in combination with my new fuzz I got a few weeks back, it's exactly the sound I wanted (and didn't get initially) when I bought the pedal.

stclrob

Reaction score
Cool cool. What duncan is at the bridge? What amp are you hooking it up to?

mellowgerman said:
The main seller for me though, was the way it feels and sounds. Absolute heaven. The most comfortable guitar I have ever played! Can't get enough of this neck.
That's what set them apart from the rest!

mellowgerman

Reaction score
I actually couldn't tell you what duncan is in the bridge. I checked the bottom and it just has the big S symbol engraved on it. Looks just like the neck pickup except it only has two height adjustment screws instead of three. Sounds great.
As for the amp, I'm running it through my Peavey Bandit 65 (late 70's or early 80's version). One of my favorite guitar amps ever (and I've played through many). I love the reverb and how "transparent" the sound of the amp itself is; also very versatile. I know that's probably wierd in the eyes (and perhaps ears) of most, but I'm actually selling my silvertone tube amp because I don't use it anymore.

Qvart

Reaction score
mellowgerman said:
Hi all you solid/chambered enthusiasts!
I'm glad to say that I just joined the club by picking up my very own 1997 S-100 at a local pawn shop :D

Sweet! You did good...you did good. \m/-_-\m/

fab467

Reaction score
Great looking instrument that no doubt sounds as good as it looks. And the price was right too!

Congrats and enjoy. :)

danerectal

Reaction score
That's a pretty sweet deal. Merely speculative, the pickup could be original. If someone had subbed a different hb, and lost the tab for the tilt adjust, they may have just stuck the old one in. It really makes no sense to have a hole drilled in the mounting ring, since the tabs are removable/interchangeable. Either way, nice score. Enjoy.

mellowgerman

Reaction score
Thanks guys!

Dane, I didn't realize that there were interchangable tabs. The wiring did seem oddly clean for a replacement pickup. Well that makes me happier in the sense that she's all original :D