Guild S-100 "ACORN"

Reaction score
Hey folks, proud Guild owner looking for another. I am looking for a 70's S-100 Acorn, I think it is technically called the SC-100 (standard carved-100). At any rate, it is the S-100 with the acorns carved in it. If anyone knows of one for sale or knows of a place where I can get on a wish list that would be great. I see there is one listed on ebay now, listed as a "js series." It is a pawn shop that is selling it and there are a lot of cracks in the finish. Buying a guitar in that kind of shape from a non player scares me a little. They can't tell me the condition of the frets, electronics...etc. Well, thanks for your time! Any help, sellers, or leads would be appreciated!

Shane

Qvart

Reaction score
habilis said:
Hey folks, proud Guild owner looking for another. I am looking for a 70's S-100 Acorn, I think it is technically called the SC-100 (standard carved-100). At any rate, it is the S-100 with the acorns carved in it. If anyone knows of one for sale or knows of a place where I can get on a wish list that would be great. I see there is one listed on ebay now, listed as a "js series." It is a pawn shop that is selling it and there are a lot of cracks in the finish. Buying a guitar in that kind of shape from a non player scares me a little. They can't tell me the condition of the frets, electronics...etc. Well, thanks for your time! Any help, sellers, or leads would be appreciated!

Shane

Well hello Shane, aka habilis, and welcome to LTG! There are a couple of us acorn owners around here. Glad to have more troops for the solid body forum.

I don't think there was a designated model name for the carved model S-100. The addition of a "C" on the end is just sort of came about to distinguish it.

As for that "JS Series" on Crackbay, we have a thread going here because another member is looking for a '70's era S-100, mainly for the HB-1 pickups. Also the big selling point of these guitars for me. And those cracks in the finish appear to be checking. It'll probably be very rare to find one that doesn't have some.

I'd say you made a good decision joining us if you're looking for one of those guitars. We all keep a constant eye out for all things Guild.

Enjoy the nuthouse!
-Geoff.

PS: What is the Guild you currently have? Pictures are mandatory around here so that even if we can't pursue our own GAS we can live vicariously through others! ;)

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hi Shane, and welcome.

I looked for years for my S-100C, (below)

rt094.jpg

Now they seem to pop up on ebay quite often.

Hang in there, another one will probably be along shortly.

Reaction score
Thanks for the info about the S-100"c" :wink:
I am definitely on the lookout! Now I feel like I have a Guild army with me :D
as to the one listed on "crackbay" as you so aptly called it, sure some wear and tear is fine, it is 35 years old, but if you look at the picture of the back, it is covered in cracks. Mix that with the fact that the seller can't tell me about it's playability...eesh. I had to talk myself out of bidding though!

As requested, here is a pic of my trans green Blues 90. Ordered it in 1999. Love it!
3725754920_ee978ecb64.jpg

ignore the non-Guilds! I was too lazy to pull her out and take a new picture.

Qvart

Reaction score
habilis said:
if you look at the picture of the back, it is covered in cracks.

I think it's finish checking, which is common with the nitro finish from back then. Mine has some too but it's only really noticeable when the light catches it a certain way. The finish is probably fine.

EDIT: I took another look. It's more visible in one picture than the other. Checking.

As for the seller not being able to say much more about it, that's a tip to be wary. Nothing wrong with waiting a bit until you find one you're comfortable bidding on.

habilis said:
As requested, here is a pic of my trans green Blues 90

Uh oh...another green Guild!

drooling-homer-simpson.jpg

danerectal

Reaction score
Nicely done. That Supro shouldn't be too bad of an instrument either. I too have been stricken with the S-100C plague. I found the cure early on and enjoy it to this day. :mrgreen:

Reaction score
danerectal said:
Nicely done. That Supro shouldn't be too bad of an instrument either. :mrgreen:

Thanks, that's a 1964 Supro Resoglass. I have had that for about 11 years. I use to gig with it when I was in a band, now it's tucked away most of the time.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
habilis said:
Thanks for the info about the S-100"c" :wink:
I am definitely on the lookout! Now I feel like I have a Guild army with me :D
as to the one listed on "crackbay" as you so aptly called it, sure some wear and tear is fine, it is 35 years old, but if you look at the picture of the back, it is covered in cracks. Mix that with the fact that the seller can't tell me about it's playability...eesh. I had to talk myself out of bidding though!

As requested, here is a pic of my trans green Blues 90. Ordered it in 1999. Love it!
3725754920_ee978ecb64.jpg

ignore the non-Guilds! I was too lazy to pull her out and take a new picture.

Oh I like that! I'll give you fifty american dollars for it - cash money!

Beautiful.

GAD

stclrob

Reaction score
The only 70s S 100 I've gotten to play was an S 100 C. Good stuff. Blues 90s are currently on my radar. P-90s....MMMMMMM. 8) Anyway, welcome and good luck on the search.

Horuss

Reaction score
Hello: I own an S-100C and a '73 S-100 Deluxe. The S-100C is the superior instrument. It's the best guitar I own.

Good luck in your search!

birdacorn.jpg

tobaccoblackie.jpg

mellowgerman

Reaction score
Welcome Habilis!
If your heart is set on a carved model, I'm afraid I can't be of much assistance at this point, but there was a 1971 S-100 in really good condition up for sale a few months ago here in western new york. The asking price was $1600 with the case if I remember correctly. Which is a bit high in my opinion but maybe he'd be willing to budge if he still has it. If you're interested I could seek out the old email and contact him.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hi Shane and welcome to LTG; good luck in your quest. CJ

BluesDan said:
... Somebody say Green Blues 90????
... Nice pic .... but it would look better backed by a Gibson amp :evil: .................... :wink: It's a beauty Dan! J

BluesDan

Reaction score
capnjuan said:
Hi Shane and welcome to LTG; good luck in your quest. CJ

BluesDan said:
... Somebody say Green Blues 90????
... Nice pic .... but it would look better backed by a Gibson amp :evil: .................... :wink: It's a beauty Dan! J

Ha! No problem.......I'm on it, off to work now, I'll snap a "money shot" later today! Love that amp!!! It was residing at my buddies studio for a few weeks for our weekly jam sessions but she's back now, despite his begging for it to stay!

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
BluesDan said:
.... she's back now, despite his begging for it to stay!
"Let him eat cake" Marie Antoinette, 18th century French socialite :wink: