My 1977 S-100

stig

Reaction score
I moved this from another thread:
Qvart said:
stig - Have we seen pics of your '77?

You have now! :D
It's taken a bit of abuse over the years, but it sounds and plays great. That crack coming from the neck tone knob actually goes all the way around to the control cavity. And it had a Bigsby on it at some point, but it didn't work well and I put the stop tailpiece back on.
Luckily, when I got it, the original bridge pickup was still in the case. The previous owner had put some other kind of humbucker in there.
Not a bad guitar for $85 (in about 1986). 8)

s-1001.jpg

100_0687.jpg

100_0686.jpg

Here it is being played by another guy in my band in 1987 (that's me with my Starfire):
getsmart1.jpg

Qvart

Reaction score
stig said:
It's taken a bit of abuse over the years, but it sounds and plays great.

Looks pretty good considering!

The natural finish + clear pickguard is cool. Although I haven't tried one with the closer bridge/tailpiece spacing like yours. It'd be interesting to see what the difference is in string tension.

danerectal

Reaction score
Qvart said:
The natural finish + clear pickguard is cool. Although I haven't tried one with the closer bridge/tailpiece spacing like yours. It'd be interesting to see what the difference is in string tension.

Pretty significant difference in my book. Feels like a different guitar. That makes it way easier to justify buying more... :mrgreen:

Qvart

Reaction score
danerectal said:
Pretty significant difference in my book. Feels like a different guitar. That makes it way easier to justify buying more... :mrgreen:

Yeah yeah yeah, I know. Stop goading me into buying more! They don't go for $85 these days! ;)

stig

Reaction score
Qvart said:
danerectal said:

Yeah yeah yeah, I know. Stop goading me into buying more! They don't go for $85 these days! ;)

Don't forget the spare pickup and Gibson SG case! :lol:
I didn't know they did different tailpiece spacing.

Qvart

Reaction score
stig said:
Qvart said:
danerectal said:

Don't forget the spare pickup and Gibson SG case! :lol:
I didn't know they did different tailpiece spacing.

They moved the tailpiece closer in '76 (I think). Click on my signature below and you'll see the difference between yours and my '74. They also went back to the wider spacing with the '90's reissues (my red one is from '96).

stig

Reaction score
Qvart said:
They moved the tailpiece closer in '76 (I think). Click on my signature below and you'll see the difference between yours and my '74. They also went back to the wider spacing with the '90's reissues (my red one is from '96).

No kidding. Never noticed that. I see you got one of the carved ones!

They really went for the SG look on the reissue, didn't they?

Qvart

Reaction score
stig said:
Qvart said:

No kidding. Never noticed that. I see you got one of the carved ones!

They really went for the SG look on the reissue, didn't they?

That red is pretty reminiscent of an SG. As for feel and playing, it's more like the '70's S-100's than it is an SG. Although there's a good bit of difference with all the changes - wider nut, chunkier feeling neck, tunematic bridge, seymour duncans, less of a hand made feel to it. Still dig the hell out of it. More so than an SG, which is what brought me into the world of Guild to begin with.

Qvart

Reaction score
Qvart said:
all the changes - wider nut, chunkier feeling neck, tunematic bridge, seymour duncans, less of a hand made feel to it...

Also, in '97 (I think) they resurrected the name "Polara."

Like this one.

!BU6S(,QCGk~$(KGrHgoOKiYEjlLmep38BKP6Zb6yi!~~_1.JPG

Mine has a Gotoh bridge, not a "Guild Adjust-o-matic" like that tag says. Hm.