different features on early '70s S-100s

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Hello S-100 lovers,

Noticed the photo of the 1971 S-100 in the eBay/Craigslist section and thought that some of you might be interested in seeing another variation from that same period.

Here's the photo of the guitar on eBay:

S-100_2.jpg

Here's another one with a slightly earlier serial number, but with the Hagstrom bridge and vibrato tailpiece:

S100_1.jpg

Even though it has the earlier serial number, it probably left the factory at a later date since it has the phase switch (which could have been a special order) but it also has the molded black plastic truss rod cover, that replaced the metal '60s style cover and which the first guitar still has.

Again a pretty good example of how things were often done at the Guild plant. It certainly doesn't make it easy for those who try to research this kind of stuff.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
http://www.guitarsgalore.nl

danerectal

Reaction score
Another thing that strikes me from that era is that some bodies are one piece of mahogany while others are multiple slabs laminated (as illustrated in your pictures, Hans). Was there any general time-frame for this construction? I only have one-piece bodies, but Dreamlander has a laminated body on his S-100 Deluxe.

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
danerectal said:
Another thing that strikes me from that era is that some bodies are one piece of mahogany while others are multiple slabs laminated (as illustrated in your pictures, Hans). Was there any general time-frame for this construction? I only have one-piece bodies, but Dreamlander has a laminated body on his S-100 Deluxe.

Hello Dane,

My experience is that most bodies from that period were made up of several pieces. So far it doesn't look like we're talking about a specific time frame. I've seen laminated bodies and 1-pc. bodies all through the '70s, which tells me it probably was the general Guild practice (at the time) of 'never wasting good materials'. For the record, the S-100 in the second photo has a 4-piece body as well but it isn't as clearly visible as with the guitar in the first photo.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
http://www.guitarsgalore.nl

Maxer

Reaction score
The black finish on my S100 is pretty worn all along the edges and from what I can tell it's a single slab. Mine also has the Hagstrom bridge and the vibrato tailpiece. I used to think it was rogue hardware bolted on long after the guitar left the shop. Now I consider it original equipment.

One real drag though: the big fat-headed screw which held in the vibrato bar disappeared on me when I took it in to a guitar shop for a setup, a few years back. I didn't notice until long after it came back to me. Clearly the tech had removed it and replaced it with another screw. Really bugged me but I couldn't prove anything and it was a done deed. I'd love to get a replacement, period-correct screw for the assembly. Hans, you got any kicking about? Long shot, I know.

danerectal

Reaction score
hansmoust said:
For the record, the S-100 in the second photo has a 4-piece body as well but it isn't as clearly visible as with the guitar in the first photo.

Now that you mention it, I can faintly see the seam on the bass side of the body. Thanks for the answer, and the sweet pics.

matsickma

Reaction score
Hans,

The S100 you posted is the model I have been dreaming about. If I were to buy another S100 it would be that version.

M

p.s., I keep extra Hagstrom bridge saddles around with the outside edge ground down and buffed out on the "bass side" to install on guitars with Hagstrom bridges that I frequently play. It saves me from getting stiches in my hand!