New member saying hi!

Pwal

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm new here, but I've been lurking for quite a while. I've been into DeArmonds since around 2000. I've owned an M-77T and an M-72. My brother-in-law, a professionnal musician, was a big Guild fan and once I tried his Bluesbird, I was hooked. I had to have a Guild. Being a big SG fan, I started looking for an S-100. I ended up buying one from fellow LTG member drunkenguitarist (hi man!), and it's been my favorite guitar since then.

I used to have a nice 1971 SG DeLuxe. I really loved that guitar (and I paid it only 350$), but it was stolen in 1999. The insurance got me an SG Standard, but I just never really felt it. I mean, the sound was ok, but the feel wasn't right for me. My S-100 has that vintage feel that I so sorely missed from my old SG. And it's more comfortable, imho.

Anyway, I'm happy to be here, and I really enjoy reading all those stories about your Guild electrics.

Here's a picture of our extended Guild family. From left to right : My brother-in-law's Bluesbird, my S-100, his Starfire, his Guild acoustic (sorry, I have zero knowledge of acoustics), and my old DeArmond M-72 (I sold it to my brother-in-law's brother).

guildfamily1024.jpg

J-F

Qvart

Reaction score
Pwal said:
My S-100 has that vintage feel that I so sorely missed from my old SG. And it's more comfortable, imho.

Anyway, I'm happy to be here, and I really enjoy reading all those stories about your Guild electrics.

Welcome!!!

That's a sweet group o' gits you got there. Love the finish on that S-100!

It's good to have another Guilder to add to the solid body contingent. We are the minority in these parts!

I too am an SG fan but there are things about the S-100's I like better. So here I am. My '96 reissue is sweet but I like my '74 even better. The neck is thinner, it's a bit lighter, and the HB-1 pickups are awesome. Have you done a test drive with one from the '70's? If not I highly recommend it. The S-90 is worth checking out too and they're a good bit cheaper if you come across one.

Here's my family (for now!):
9db97845.jpg

Enjoy your time in the asylum!

Guildmark

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Lovely family, Pwal!

By the way, are you from the Sherbrooke that Stan Rogers refers to in "Barrett's Privateers"?

Welcome to LTG.
Post well. Post often.

Pwal

Reaction score
Thanks guys!

@Qvart - Nope, I've never had the opportunity to try a 70s S-100. Those S-100s are very rare over here. I'd really like to get an S-90 one of these days.

@Guildmark - I don't think so. The city was founded in 1802 in the Eastern Townships in Quebec, so it's probably another Sherbrooke.

@danerectal - Yeah, it sounds pretty good. The picture was taken in my brother-in-law's home studio. He also has an old Guild amp, but I don't know much about it.

J-F

mad dog

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Very nice Pwal. Lovely guitars. I'm looking for an S-100 myself. The hook was set with my Dearmond S-73, and that urge gets stronger every time I read Qvart's posts. I've owned SGs, wanted to like them, but didn't. Too thin, too bendy, it was always something. If the S-73 is any indication of what the vintage Guild S-100 was like, they clearly beat the SG at their own game. Much better design.

Qvart

Reaction score
mad dog said:
Very nice Pwal. Lovely guitars. I'm looking for an S-100 myself. The hook was set with my Dearmond S-73, and that urge gets stronger every time I read Qvart's posts. I've owned SGs, wanted to like them, but didn't. Too thin, too bendy, it was always something. If the S-73 is any indication of what the vintage Guild S-100 was like, they clearly beat the SG at their own game. Much better design.

Hey mad dog -

Thanks for the supporting comments in my for sale thread.

As for comparisons, the D is closer to the reissues than it is to the vintage ones. It's heavier and has a similar thicker neck. The '70's models were a tad slimmer and lighter. They remind me more of an SG than the reissues or the S-73 do, but - as I've said many times - the S-100, no matter which one, is an IMPROVEMENT over the Gibbies.

As for the feel and how they play, the biggest factors I think are the necks and the string tension. The reissues with the tunematic bridge and the DeArmond with the tunematic and shorter tailpiece distance have more down pressure (which I learned a lot about around these parts) and the strings feel tighter. The older S-100's (and S-90's) with the roller bridge and wider tailpiece spacing have a much looser, bendy feel to the strings. I actually knocked the low E off the roller on my '74 the other day while playing! But later in the '70's (I think it was '76) Guild shortened the space between the bridge and tailpiece, which increased the down pressure. I haven't tried one set up like this but I imagine the strings would feel tighter with the increased down pressure. Dane could give you a description of the differences in the '70's models' setups. He has four vintage Guilds!

Well, I couldn't pass up yet another opportunity to expound on the virtues of the S-100 and feed your urge to acquire one! But of course I would advise you - if at all possible - to try a vintage and reissue so you can see the differences for yourself. However, I don't think you'd be disappointed with either one, but then again I'm extremely biased! ;)

dane

Reaction score
Welcome my fellow Guildoholic. Nice assortment. Your right about a guitar having the right feel. If it doesn’t feel right you’re not going to play it with everything you got. IMHO

Ross

Reaction score
Guild Total
Hi Pwal:

Welcome from a former Montrealer!

Guildmark said:
By the way, are you from the Sherbrooke that Stan Rogers refers to in "Barrett's Privateers"?

I'm pretty sure that those hapless privateers came from Sherbrooke Nova Scotia. Barrett would have had to be very desperate to travel all the way to southern Quebec to recruit sailors!

cheers
R

Reaction score
Hey man,
I've always wondered what happened to you and that guitar I sold you.
This is great that you found this forum. I had planned on pointing you to this site, but I forgot! lol.
Welcome to LTG! :D

Pwal

Reaction score
Hey drunkenguitarist! I'm glad you found that thread.

Man, I just love that S-100! And so does my luthier. He was amazed by the quality of that guitar. We don't see these very often around here.

Anyway, thanks everyone!

J-F

Thunderface

Reaction score
Qvart said:
9db97845.jpg

How's this for a blast down Memory Lane. Your S-90 is gone, your DeArmond S-73 is gone, and soon so will your '96 S-100.

Qvart

Reaction score
Thunderface said:
Qvart said:
9db97845.jpg

How's this for a blast down Memory Lane. Your S-90 is gone, your DeArmond S-73 is gone, and soon so will your '96 S-100.

Haha! True, true. But check out the signature below. I'm quite content with the additions since that old pic was taken.

Also:

1) The '96 did not have pickup covers originally. I added them and then removed them again.
2) I acquired some DeArmond Knobs for the S-73 from Coastie because that one was missing the "D" logo.
3) The S-73 has a happier home now.
4) The S-90 went on a world tour including Bonaroo and Lollapalooza with Band of Horses.
5) I found some knobs like the ones on that S-90 to put on my S300-A.
6) The S-100 may be gone before long but I have a feeling I won't be able to keep the G-shield knobs to put on the S300-A, which is something I thought I might be able to pull of if I sold it locally. If it goes to someone around here I wouldn't feel right doing that. ;)

How's that for "for now"? :lol:

Thunderface

Reaction score
I'd say. You basically swapped the S-90, DeArmond S-73 and eventually the '96 reissue for another S-100 Carved, an S-300A and an M-80. You did pretty good for yourself with those moves.