Nut width on S-100s? '70s vs. late '90s???

Reaction score
Does anyone know what the nut width is on S-100s made in the late '90s? I can't get a definitive answer on the specs.

Thanks,

patrickding

Qvart

Reaction score
danerectal said:
Qvart should be able to measure his. He's got one of each.

Right you are:

'74 S-100C:

Nut: 1 10/16 "
5th: 1 13/16 "
12th: 2 " (even)
22nd: 2 1/8

'96 S-100:

Nut: 1 11/16 "
5th: 1 14/16 "
12th: 2 1/16 "
22nd: 2 1/4

I left most of the measurements in 16th's instead of simplifying so you can see how little they differ. Basically, it's 1/16th difference all the way up and down.

However, playing the two: the neck definitely feels slimmer on the '74, and a bit chunkier on the '96. Quite a difference for such little measurements.

Of course the nuts/bridges/saddles etc. are different, but the low E on the '96 is about 1/16 " further in from the edge of the fretboard than the '74, probably adding to the "chunkier" feel.

The headstock on the '96 is slightly longer and wider and the upper points fan out a little more. Gives the appearance of being bigger/fatter.

Overall, the '74 seems a bit slimmer and slightly more elongated.

The '96's tunematic bridge has slightly more string angle so it feels like the strings are tighter. More down pressure I guess.

I tried to take pics one day to illustrate the differences in fret width and neck but it just really wasn't visible. You can, however, feel the difference.

Hope that helps.

PS: I took some more pics. Let me see how they turned out...

Reaction score
Yes, I am about to pull the trigger in a natural '97. I'm pumped to get one, I just thought the neck was to narrow at the nut for me to get clean chords but I've only played a '70s one. It's also great to hear that your '96 has the strings spaced in from the edges a bit more than the vintage ones. I can cut a new nut and space the strings out even more, if I understood you correctly.

Qvart

Reaction score
patrickding said:
Yes, I am about to pull the trigger in a natural '97. I'm pumped to get one, I just thought the neck was to narrow at the nut for me to get clean chords but I've only played a '70s one. It's also great to hear that your '96 has the strings spaced in from the edges a bit more than the vintage ones. I can cut a new nut and space the strings out even more, if I understood you correctly.

I've never tried, but possibly. It isn't a whole lot of space to work with.

Where is this sale listing? I'll see how it looks.

Qvart

Reaction score
patrickding said:
I can cut a new nut and space the strings out even more, if I understood you correctly.

don't quote me too much on that. the high E doesn't have as much room.

I don't have problems playing chords on either neck. But the '74 does feel slimmer.

Give me about five minutes and I'll have pics for you to look at if you want. Don't know how much they'll help...

Qvart

Reaction score
Qvart said:
Give me about five minutes and I'll have pics for you to look at if you want. Don't know how much they'll help...

HERE YA GO.

Thrown together kinda quick, but I was gonna try to capture the comparison with pics anyway.

See what you think.

The '96 is the one with "S-100" on the truss rod cover.

Also, have you heard the SD's on the reissues? Different sound than the old Guilds but I dig 'em. More modern sounding but good.

Reaction score
Sorry for the delay, I had to feed the baby.

Thanks for the pics, I can see the difference. I think what was scaring me was what you said about the headstock flaring out more on the newer ones, it makes the nut look narrower. Seeing them side by side, I can tell the difference easily. I am buying this from a friend of a friend in California and so was a little wray about buying sight unseen.

The '73 I was checking out is on eBay now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-1973-Guild- ... 1|294%3A50

Qvart

Reaction score
patrickding said:
Sorry for the delay, I had to feed the baby.

Thanks for the pics, I can see the difference. I think what was scaring me was what you said about the headstock flaring out more on the newer ones, it makes the nut look narrower. Seeing them side by side, I can tell the difference easily. I am buying this from a friend of a friend in California and so was a little wray about buying sight unseen.

The '73 I was checking out is on eBay now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-1973-Guild- ... 1|294%3A50

I saw the '73. Not bad.

The problem is people like the vintage ones so much they may find things to complain about with the reissues. They're probably about as close as you can get for that kind of gap between manufacture. I dig them both, but they play a bit different and have different sounds. I wouldn't part with either one.

How much are they asking?

Reaction score
The eBay seller selling the '73 has it in his retail store in GA, so I'm sure he started the bidding at what he needs to get out of it. I'm getting the '97 from Cali for $725 w/case. Not the original case, but an old guild nonetheless.

I do see some more differences between the vintage and reissues, especially the hand-sanding on the edges and neck joint of the '74, I'm sure it's more comfortable in your hands.

Qvart

Reaction score
patrickding said:
I'm getting the '97 from Cali for $725 w/case. Not the original case, but an old guild nonetheless.

SNATCH IT UP.

Are you saying the case is an old Guild case? Should fit alright. The neckset is slightly different.

patrickding said:
I do see some more differences between the vintage and reissues, especially the hand-sanding on the edges and neck joint of the '74, I'm sure it's more comfortable in your hands.

The reissue is a bit heavier too. Built like a tank. The '74 doesn't feel like that as much.

They aren't exactly the same, but I don't know how much closer they could have been without being the real reissues from '94/'95. I'd still like to see Hammer's sometime to compare.

I think that's a decent price if it's in good shape. Even without the original case. Like I said, I wouldn't part with either one. Although I do like the old HB-1's a little better than the SD's.

I don't think you'll be disappointed, but if you're concerned about playing chords then, well, you'll just have to find out. If you got the dough, I say go. But then again asking for advice around here is like a crack addict asking the dealer if they should take another hit. ;)

Qvart

Reaction score
patrickding said:
Not the original case, but an old guild nonetheless.

Wait....maybe here you were talking about the '73 and the case.

If the '97 has the original case and it's in good-excellent condition then $725 is a good deal. Don't know how much people care about natural finish over the others but it definitely won't lose value and would probably go for at least $800 or more on Ebay (to give you an idea).

These are the kind of investments that don't depreciate. If you aren't happy with it you'll get your money back by parting with it.

Not from me though! I'm on hiatus! For real! I've resigned myself to the other great pastime around here - living vicariously through other people's GAS's.

\m/ -_- \m/

Reaction score
Well, the case looks like it was meant for a Bluesbird, I think. An archtopped les paul looking case. Looks like it fits pretty well. If it's 1 11/16ths I'll make it work, but it seems everything from the 60's and 70's is just three hairs too tight.

Qvart

Reaction score
patrickding said:
Well, the case looks like it was meant for a Bluesbird,

I have no idea what kind of case that is. It's a good looking '70's model though. Quite a bit of difference in color between the neck and body. Pretty good scratch or crack there on the back. If the bidding doesn't get too high it might be a good deal.

Again, the '97 is a good deal too as long as it's in good condition. The only ones I see on Ebay go for $725 or less are the ones with quite a few scratches and dings. The white ones seem to fetch the most.

Then there's the difference in sound. That's up to you. I like both sounds but if I had to chose I'd take the '70's pickups just because I can get a better stoner rock sound out of them. But the SD's are nothing to sneer at. Just more modern sounding. A bit brighter. The HB's are warmer and deeper for lack of better words. Sound straight out the '70's.

The neck does feel thicker on the '96 although it's not a huge difference.

That's about all I got for the dilemma description. Good luck.