I have a question...

Qvart

Reaction score
Wondering, but maybe it's obvious to everyone else:

What was the point of moving the tailpiece closer to the bridge? Looks like it started happening with the 1976 models:

guildS100-1976.jpg

Although...Cos' 1975 S-90 has the closer arrangement. The '75 catalog shows S-100's still with the larger spacing (of course they weren't too picky about their adverts having current images. Some of them showed gits from previous years in later catalogs).

Guild went back to the larger spacing with the 1990's reissue S-100.

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
Because I don't have intimate experience with the specific models and years, I can't say for certain, but. . .

moving the tailpiece closer or farther from the bridge changes the break angle, i.e., the angle at which the strings go from the bridge to the tailpiece. Depending on the guitar, it may have little or drastic effect on sustain, tone, and string tension.

Qvart

Reaction score
jp said:
moving the tailpiece closer or farther from the bridge changes the break angle, i.e., the angle at which the strings go from the bridge to the tailpiece. Depending on the guitar, it may have little or drastic effect on sustain, tone, and string tension.

I was wondering about sustain. All of mine have the further spacing ('72, '74, '96) and the sustain is GREAT.

Qvart

Reaction score
jp said:
hansmoust said:
See page 159, The Guild Guitar Book.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
http://www.guitarsgalore.nl
. . . the large the break angle, the and greater the "down pressure." :mrgreen:

I was able to view that page online after all.

So greater down pressure on the bridge? How much of a difference would that make?

Or am I just being simple? ;)

Qvart

Reaction score
Qvart said:
jp said:
hansmoust said:
See page 159, The Guild Guitar Book.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
. . . the large the break angle, the and greater the "down pressure." :mrgreen:

I was able to view that page online after all.

So greater down pressure on the bridge? How much of a difference would that make?

Or am I just being simple? ;)

Nevermind. Dane educated me. He has the models to compare. Thanks!

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Qvart said:

Hello Qvart,

Actually, the two most important reasons for moving the tailpiece closer to the bridge on all of the solid bodies from that period were:

1) To increase down pressure at the bridge, so the strings would stay in the roller saddles.

2) The extra pressure would also help the roller-saddles stay in place and keep 'm from vibrating against the bridge base.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
hansmoust said:
Qvart said:

Hello Qvart,

Actually, the two most important reasons for moving the tailpiece closer to the bridge on all of the solid bodies from that period were:

1) To increase down pressure at the bridge, so the strings would stay in the roller saddles.

2) The extra pressure would also help the roller-saddles stay in place and keep 'm from vibrating against the bridge base.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
The rattling is a common issue specifically with roller saddle bridges, especially on archtops.

Qvart

Reaction score
jp said:
hansmoust said:
Qvart said:

Hello Qvart,

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
The rattling is a common issue specifically with roller saddle bridges, especially on archtops.

ah. gotcha. haven't played any archtops though.