Got the S-100C today...Added a question to this thread 3/12

Qvart

Reaction score
...and I fear I may have to get more '70's era S-100's!!!!

e3b51e71.jpg

It sounds awesome! The pickups are a bit mightier than the pickups in my '72 S-90 (I seem to remember reading somewhere that they were improved in '73?). It is quite the tone monster! And the phase switch changes the sound more than the switch on my '96. Although the bridge pickup is kinda weak in the middle position. But I mainly play through the neck pickup anyway.

As for comparing the design and feel to my 1996: I'll have to check them out side by side to really assess the differences, but I did notice the neck is slimmer like the one on the S-90. The '96 is a bit chunkier. But I dig 'em both.

As for the condition:
I knew it was going to have some scratches on the back (they aren't too extreme given its age but there's quite a few) and one ding on the edge (there's more than one and a good many marks). Also, there is finish checking, which the seller didn't mention. Mainly it's on the back of the neck, and mainly below the headstock. More of it showed up in pics than is noticeable just looking at it. Maybe because of the color and the wood grain.

One of the pots has a little noise but everything works great. I'm not an expert but it doesn't look like the wiring has been touched. The tuners are still in good shape. It stays in tune pretty well and it was pretty well intonated, even after I took the bridge off and adjusted it (it came with cruddy strings so I had to replace them before I even plugged it in. Am I wrong to think that if you buy a guitar it should come with new strings on it? Pfft.)

In the end, it would have to be in better shape in order to be a serious collectible, but everything seems to be pretty solid so it will be one helluva player. Which is what I want.

Oh, one more thing: I have no idea what kind of case came with it, but it's cheap and junky. And I don't mean the cheap junky ones Guild offered back then. I mean it's much newer than the guitar and although it's not an entirely bad fit it could be better.

Here's an album of pics if you want to see more.

(If you look at the pics check out the one of the neck joint. It almost looks like it has had some kind of repair done -- like there's some sort of puddy or filler -- but the joint is smooth and the finish is undisturbed -- ?)

BluesDan

Reaction score
Re: Got the S-100C today...

Congrats Q! Your family is growing quite rapidly...........very cool.
I'm no expert either, so I am of no use for advice on the neck joint. Looks solid though.
Enjoy.

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total

That's nutty. Sweet axe. Seriously, I used to drool over SGs, but I'm a Guildie through and through now. You do have a killer collection going on. Now you need one of those sexy 70s models with a Guildsby!

wright1

Reaction score

Hi Q, don't worry about the neck joint. It looks like a piece flew off when the body was routed and they just filled in the missing wood with a bit of filler. It won't effect the joint.They just tidied up before putting on the finish. Maybe today this would have been a 'second'. It is after all a blemish. Back in the day we would refer to this as 'character' and send it out anyway!!
Very nice group,and I am extremely envious.My S100 reissue is looking very lonely!
All the best, Steve.

stclrob

Reaction score

The pickups are a bit mightier than the pickups in my '72 S-90 (I seem to remember reading somewhere that they were improved in '73?).

Imagine the shock I had when I plugged in my recently aquired late 70s S300 compared to the Seymour Duncans in my reissue S100! Seriously sweet C though, very wise investment.

danerectal

Reaction score

Well played, my friend. I'm glad you talked yourself into that one. I'm sure you are as well. :mrgreen:

Qvart

Reaction score

danerectal said:
Well played, my friend. I'm glad you talked yourself into that one. I'm sure you are as well. :mrgreen:

Glad you didn't mind listening to me think aloud about it for so long!

Well, I've contacted the seller about the condition of the guitar and the case -- two issues I think might require a bit of a reevaluation. Not too too much, though. It's still a great player. But I haven't heard back yet, so we'll see.

As for the pickups -- yes, they are quite a change from the Duncans (although I dig those too. Just more of a modern sound). Like I've said, I have a '72 S-90 so I knew pretty much what I was in for with the sound, but the '74 definitely has beefier pickups.

Such fuel for the GAS fire!

Qvart

Reaction score
I'm wondering:

The model is written "S-100 - NB." What's the "NB" for? I'm thinking "N" might be "natural" (?). But what's the "B"?

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Qvart said:
I'm wondering:

The model is written "S-100 - NB." What's the "NB" for? I'm thinking "N" might be "natural" (?). But what's the "B"?

That's a funny one: NB stands for 'Nature Boy'. It was the finish designation that was used for a Natural finish on mahogany with a light filler. It was a reference to the 'back to nature' movement of the early '70s.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

Qvart

Reaction score
hansmoust said:
Qvart said:
I'm wondering:

That's a funny one: NB stands for 'Nature Boy'. It was the finish designation that was used for a Natural finish on mahogany with a light filler. It was a reference to the 'back to nature' movement of the early '70s.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
http://www.guitarsgalore.nl

Okay.........I'm not sure I wanted to know that!!!! ;)

As always, thanks Hans.

Hammer

Reaction score
Qvart said:
hansmoust said:
Qvart said:
I'm wondering:

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
http://www.guitarsgalore.nl

Okay.........I'm not sure I wanted to know that!!!! ;)

As always, thanks Hans.

Wooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

Nature%2BBoy%2BRic%2BFlair.jpg

Hammer

Reaction score
Qvart said:
Hammer said:
Wooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

Hammer, you're just jealous -- of me and Ric!

:lol: Maybe...I'd steal your S-90 in a heartbeat, but I'm not a fan of the 'corns. Meh, sue me...I know that's borderline blasphemous talk here. :twisted: I am curious though how your reish and the carved feel and sound compared to mine. You heading up this way anytime soon? :mrgreen:

Qvart

Reaction score
Hammer said:
Hammer said:
Maybe...I'd steal your S-90 in a heartbeat, but I'm not a fan of the 'corns. Meh, sue me...I know that's borderline blasphemous talk here. :twisted: I am curious though how your reish and the carved feel and sound compared to mine. You heading up this way anytime soon? :mrgreen:

I'm not necessarily a fan of the 'corns either, but I had my mind set on a '70's model so why not? And if you could hear it compared to the S-90 you'd forget about the carvings.

I'm curious about how yours plays too. The next one on my list will be a '94 or '95.

I may be back that way over the summer. My housemate has relatives there so if he goes I plan on hitching a ride and visiting my friends again. Make sure your wall safe is secure! ;) :mrgreen:

mad dog

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Me, I have lust in my heart for that acorn-bedecked S100. So funky it comes out the other side, chic. Someday, I'd really love to own one of these.

MD