'74 S-100, new to me

Reaction score
Finally took some pictures of the S-100. (pictures here >>> http://picasaweb.google.com/utlucas/Gui ... irectlink#) Hope they illustrate some of what I'm talking about in this post -> viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11446

I got it from a craigslist ad all the way across the country for ~$940 shipped. It's in pretty decent condition, as far as I can tell. Certainly isn't mint, but a 35 year old guitar that doesn't have a few dings hasn't been used for what it was intended.

The neck volume knob seems to be a little higher than the rest and one tuner has been replaced, but that's about all i can find that might be non-original. Did all of them have the S-100 embossed on the truss rod cover (was mine replaced with a blank?). Is that small split in the neck joint normal? It doesn't look broken to me, just a small gap between pieces. See anything else that stands out as damaged/repaired/replaced?

I look forward to getting it cleaned up a little, and playing a lot, although it is certainly going to split time with the Taylor 514ce (what a great sounding guitar)...

Thanks for you help and advice...

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
utlucas said:
The neck volume knob seems to be a little higher than the rest and one tuner has been replaced, but that's about all i can find that might be non-original. Did all of them have the S-100 embossed on the truss rod cover (was mine replaced with a blank?). Is that small split in the neck joint normal? It doesn't look broken to me, just a small gap between pieces. See anything else that stands out as damaged/repaired/replaced?

Hello utlucas,

Looks like a nice one! The truss rod cover is correct; the engraved one came later. The neck joint looks fine.

Enjoy!

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

Qvart

Reaction score
utlucas said:
I got it from a craigslist ad all the way across the country for ~$940 shipped. It's in pretty decent condition, as far as I can tell. Certainly isn't mint, but a 35 year old guitar that doesn't have a few dings hasn't been used for what it was intended.

Wow, it does look to be in pretty good shape! And, for the price, you did DAMN GOOD. The '70's models often go for more than you paid.

I guess that was the one craigslist ad I found that had been removed by it's author! (I'm doing the national searches too). ;)

Here's a website with Guild ads from that era.

Enjoy!!!!

Hammer

Reaction score
danerectal said:
I probably have enough S-100s, though.

:shock: Bite thy tongue good sir! One can never have too many S-100s! And, if you do, send the excess my way! Purty example there utlucas and for quite a steal!