Because I'm becoming a junkie...Also: whadyathink?

BluesDan

Reaction score
Re: Because I'm becoming a junkie...

I say you buy 'em ALL!
Sorry.......that probably wasn't much help....... :mrgreen:

Qvart

Reaction score
Re: Because I'm becoming a junkie...

BluesDan said:
I say you buy 'em ALL!
Sorry.......that probably wasn't much help....... :mrgreen:

NO! That wasn't much help! ;)

But of course that was more of a public service announcement than anything...

So, on with the rest of the topic...

I had a day off from work and found myself downtown here in this beautiful mountain town and I thinks to myself, "Self, how 'bout stopping by the cool local guitar shop? Maybe they have one of those Guilds you like so much." Sure enough I didn't even get in the door when I saw it through the front window, hanging on the wall (undeservedly) obscured by another (inferior!) guitar. So I go in to check it out and talk to my friend who runs the shop. Turns out it's a 1997 model so it has the Seymour Duncans like my SWEET 1996.

Anyway, I see the price tag says '97 to '99 so I of course have to educate the (already expert) guitar shop owner, and we conclude that it is indeed a 1997. The price is $699 with OHSC, so I'm thinking I hit the jackpot. Then I start looking a little closer at the guitar:

The white has turned very much to yellow and there are many lines/cracks (what's the term?) running through the finish, not to mention a scrape on the top cutaway that's down to the wood. But I could deal with all of that if it's in good playing order. That's the point when I look at the top of the fretboard near the headstock - it looks like it's separated. The guy directs my attention to the bottom side of the neck and there is (GASP!) a much worse separation that has been repaired. Looks like it was about 3 to 4 frets in length, and the repair is clearly visible. HOWEVER, the good news (if there is any) is that the repair work was done by a luthier here who does GREAT work.

In short, the guitar is in perfect playing order (all original from what I can tell, but I didn't check the pots, with low action and a straight neck), but the appearance and the repairs are a big concern. I don't mind buying one that I can play to death and not have to worry about compromising the value, but I would rather not buy one that would not somewhat appreciate in value if I should happen to want to resell it in the future. The guy said he could go as low as $650, but I think it should be even lower given the finish, scuffs, dings, and neck repair.

In short, I'm leaning towards not buying it, but I haven't ruled it out completely if I could maybe get it cheaper. A bit of a dilemma because I don't want to overdo low-balling a good guy.

So, what do all of you think?

I took some pics (all I had was my cell phone) but of course you can't really see everything I'm talking about the way you could if you were holding it in your hands.

Hammer

Reaction score
I think finish checking is the phrase you are looking for and...personally, I would take a pass even at $650.

In the OP, however, I would pounce on that green machine with the Bigsby. I seem to recall a discussion about the authenticity of that particular guitar not so long ago, but I can't find the thread right now...IIRC Hans said it likely was legit.

BluesDan

Reaction score
I actually like the yellowed white look, and nicks, bumps, and grinds have never deterred me, some of my favorite guitars have battle scars. I guess the question is whether or not the repair is solid and professionally done. If so, and you are looking for a player and not an investment, sounds like a deal.

Qvart

Reaction score
BluesDan said:
I guess the question is whether or not the repair is solid and professionally done. If so, and you are looking for a player and not an investment, sounds like a deal.

Yes, the repair is solid and professional. And it is on the underside of the neck so not as visible as the checking (that was the word I was looking for) and scuffs, so no one will see it unless I do my '80's hair band rock moves!

As for a player: I don't really need another. My '96 works great. And I dabble with the '72 S-90 a bit. But, like I said, I'm slipping into junkie-dom so I'll probably buy more and more and more and more and...

I guess the question is: how low should I try to negotiate?

Hammer

Reaction score
That guy is eff'n nuts. That's the second time he's listed it. It's unique, I'll give him that, but not almost 2 grand unique.

Qvart

Reaction score
BluesDan said:
Thats a tough call when dealing with a friend..........then again....if ya could get it for 550.. :twisted:

You know, I was thinking maybe I'd offer $550. I could handle that and play the hell out of it. Of course, he's not a CLOSE friend... ;)

BluesDan said:

I KNOW!!!! Do they really expect to get that much for it? I mean it's sweet and all, but c'mon!

Actually - funny thing about that one: The first time it was listed the high bid was $1225, no Buy-it-Now price, and the reserve wasn't met. So they re-listed it at $1895! Also, the first listing said it was a 1973. So I emailed them and said, um, I think that's a 1976 model. They replied that they dated it from the pots. I would look at that date too, but what's the more likely scenario: the pots sat around for three years before being put in a guitar, or the neck traveled back in time three years?

Hey, I love these guitars, but I have other uses for money.

Too funny.

Singin' Dave

Reaction score
I actually know the guys over at RnRVintage and they are good guys, but they have a scary affection on for Guild electrics, particularly S-100s, and have that one priced ~$800 over market IMO. I showed them my '74 S-100c once and they almost knocked me over trying to buy it from me. Made a pretty decent offer too. But no sale here. That guitar is far too sweet.

To the OP. I'd say $600 will get that thing out the door and it's probably worth that. You'll find its worth it to you I bet (but here is not the place for restraint on Guilds).

I too favor buying used, road-worn, beat up "player" axes that I can beat the snot out of without worryand can be found for reasonable coin. My '73 Bluesbird is a great example of that (bought for $700), as is my Tele Deluxe from the same year (traded a strat for it). I personally wouldn't take twice what I paid for them as they are stunning through every amp and my two main gigging axes.

I guess what I'm trying to say here is if you've got the coin, comprehensively test it out with a few amps and if it checks out, offer $600 and ask for some strings etc. with the deal. Then walk away laughing.

Qvart

Reaction score
Singin' Dave said:
I actually know the guys over at RnRVintage and they are good guys, but they have a scary affection on for Guild electrics

Didn't mean to come off so judgmental. I'm sure they are good guys. That was just a strange couple of ebay auctions. The kind that leave me scratching my head...

As for the "road worn" one, I came across another '97 in vastly superior condition, and now I'm leaning towards that one for what is really not much more money given the differences.

But what would be really cool is one pre-'96 when they were first reintroduced and still resembled the vintage '70's ones. Yep, I'm jealous of Hammer's!

So keep me in mind if you come across one (especially with that green finish!)

Hammer

Reaction score
Qvart said:
But what would be really cool is one pre-'96 when they were first reintroduced and still resembled the vintage '70's ones. Yep, I'm jealous of Hammer's!

So keep me in mind if you come across one (especially with that green finish!)

:mrgreen: Sure, I'll keep you in mind...as I'm plunking down the cash buying it! :lol:

Qvart

Reaction score
Hammer said:
I can't decide if that's a flub with the camera, if it's a carved model refinished or if it's really banged up, but dig the upper portion of the body in the first pic.

Well it was taken on four international tours!

Yeah, that one isn't grabbing my interest. But thanks for the effort!

Ideally a green one from '94/'95. I may have to pay Hammer a friendly visit :evil:

How far is Harrisburg from DC? Hmmm...

Hammer

Reaction score
Qvart said:
Hammer said:
I can't decide if that's a flub with the camera, if it's a carved model refinished or if it's really banged up, but dig the upper portion of the body in the first pic.

Well it was taken on four international tours!

Yeah, that one isn't grabbing my interest. But thanks for the effort!

Ideally a green one from '94/'95. I may have to pay Hammer a friendly visit :evil:

How far is Harrisburg from DC? Hmmm...

*quietly hiding the green S-100 in the hidden wall safe...* :mrgreen:

Qvart

Reaction score
Hammer said:
*quietly hiding the green S-100 in the hidden wall safe...* :mrgreen:

Aha! Now I can focus my efforts on a specific location!

:evil:

BTW: I made my offer for the green DeArmond. Not the same but it will be a cool project guitar. Now the waiting game...