What are these called+are they available (pickup adjusters)?

Canadian Steve

Reaction score
Hi, I have a Bluesbird and an S-100. When I bought the S-100 the pickups were changed and the 3 p'up adjusting screws were changed to 2. I opened up my Bluesbird and realised all I would need is a small piece of metal to allow me to use the 3 p'up adjusting screws again. Does anybody know what these are called or what to ask for? Any help would be great!!!

danerectal

Reaction score
I would just call it a tilt adjustment adapter strip since that's how it functions. I've been trying to iron out the logistics of manufacturing such a part. I got one with a pickup and ring that I bought off eBay last year so I could probably trace one out for you.

Canadian Steve

Reaction score
Cool, I'm looking for 2 of them. Is it something that a hardware store would do?

danerectal

Reaction score
I don't really think they would have the raw metal to machine to the size. I considered using trophy brass and a dremel to rough some out. I did that for a pair of humbuckers that had destroyed bottom plates and it worked well.

matsickma

Reaction score
I may be able to help.

I've made a few of these over the last year. What you need is a small strip of brass flat stock or copper flat stock. I used some scrap pieces from work and went to the shear to cut thin strips then used wire cutters to trim to size and nip off the corners. The next step is to clean up the pickup "ear" and the new part. A small brass wire brush does the trick. Then solder the new strip on to the ear of the pickup. The next step is to line up the pickup with the 2 hole bezed and mark where the holes go. Then use a small drill bit to run a pilot hole and then follow up with a little larger diameter drill bit. Now if the material you have is sufficient thickness you should be able to tap the hole. I don't remember the size 4-40 or 2-56? (You have to check.) Remember when tapping after you get started you only turn until it gets tight and then you have to back the tap off or you will either break the tap or strip the new thread. With copper or brass the latter is most likely. With that all done your ready to install your pickup.

A few other points: Whenever I solder onto a pickup I use a folded paper tower or rag that was dipped in water to keep the rest of the pickup cool. I doesn't take much heat to cause the wax potting to melt and when it does it will usually creat a small void which may lead to an eventual microphonic pickup.

Now the biggest problem that I have been having is that the material I got from work is pretty thin; it is thinner than what Guild used. So I had a problem that some of my threads stripped out. I eventually went to Radio Shack and bought a small bag of chrome plated brass electronic fastening nuts and bolts-it was a couple $ for an assortment bag. With this hardware in hand I then drilled out my origional holes and carefully soldered a chrome plated brass nut to the back of the strip. I used a Radio Shack bolt to "clean out" the threads. This worked perfectly and is realy strong with no chance of stripping.

There are a varity of ways you can alter my approach to your liking. I did all my modifications with the pickups wired into a guitar so if you were working on a stand alone pickup you may do it different.

If starting from scratch you may spend $10 getting the tools and raw materials.

If any of you want some material I'll cut up some scrap strips and send it to you. It may not be identical to Guilds material but close enough that you can work with it.

Send me an email with your address and I'll help out the first 6 people who want some copper or brass strips. (There is no cost for this assistance but I don't want to have an open ended request to supply material.)

M

Canadian Steve

Reaction score
Instead of soldering the bits of brass/copper to the pickup ears, can another hole be drilled in the middle of the bit, so the bit can be screwed into the existing ear? I'm hopeless at DIY and don't have a soldering iron!

danerectal

Reaction score
Canadian Steve said:
Instead of soldering the bits of brass/copper to the pickup ears, can another hole be drilled in the middle of the bit, so the bit can be screwed into the existing ear? I'm hopeless at DIY and don't have a soldering iron!
I was going to suggest that. The way the newer Guild pickups are attached to the tilt adjustment tab is a small hole through the middle with a screw to hold them together. You could use a spare pickup height screw to attach it and grind or saw off the excess. Here's a visual aid...

cali2.jpg

Stephen

Reaction score
Canadian Steve said:

This is exactly what DiMarzio did for me years ago when ordering a pair of pickups for use on a Nightbird I had at the time. And they provided these adapter pieces to me gratis! There's no good reason to be soldering anything here -- a lot of extra work for nothing.

It pains me when I see used Guilds with the pickup rings molested with an unnecessary hole drilled in it, especially because Guild replacement rings are virtually non-existent.

danerectal

Reaction score
Stephen said:
It pains me when I see used Guilds with the pickup rings molested with an unnecessary hole drilled in it, especially because Guild replacement rings are virtually non-existent.
+however many I can add.

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Stephen said:

Hello folks,

Got an e-mail from someone in the US who claimed he had some N.O.S. Guild HB-1 mounting rings.
He wanted $ 50.00 a piece for them and would consider a small discount if I would buy 'm all.
He didn't tell me how many he had and so far I have not gotten back with him to make an offer.
I guess I should do it since I have no idea if I will ever get a chance like that again.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

danerectal

Reaction score
$50.00 a piece is pretty wild, but the discount may make it more manageable. Like you say, where else? Good luck with the acquisition.

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
The S-281 I just picked up has a pup ring that had the middle hole drilled in it. Looks like I get to deal with this issue too.

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Stephen said:
Default said:
The S-281 I just picked up has a pup ring that had the middle hole drilled in it. Looks like I get to deal with this issue too.

This website was posted by another LTGer in another thread. .

http://www.pickuprings.com/home

Maybe then can make a Guild-spec an ebony wood replacement pu ring.

Or I can do it myself. It's only wood.

matsickma

Reaction score
Hi Canadian Steve,

I don't have any spare parts but am will to send some raw material sheared to the nominal width so that you can make your own. If interested send me your address and I'll mail it to you next week.

M