Case for 1973 Guild S100

Aristophis

Reaction score
What kind of case would you suggest for a 1973 Guild S100? I am having a bit of trouble finding one that fits.

danerectal

Reaction score
By your avatar, it looks like you've got an S-90, but I know that a good fit is hard to find. I've even got a reissue case. That doesn't fit (it puts pressure on the neck joint), nor does the Epi/Gibson SG case (same issue). If it were later than a '74, you would probably be in luck, though the reissue case is still tight due to the neck angle. I had a TKL generic solidbody case that didn't adversely affect the guitar, but it was not snug and consequently let the guitar knock around inside the case. If you could get together a foam pad that would keep the thing from rattling about, you would be in business. Try tracing the guitar on some styro for a cutout... That's the best I can do since I'm looking for a few myself.

Aristophis

Reaction score
Well, I'm 90 percent sure that its a S100. The S/N is 70397 and I ran that by Hans and he seemed to agree, not that I care, its still a great guitar. Keep in mind that I made some modifications to it. Regardless, that you very much for your recommendations.

danerectal

Reaction score
Aristophis said:
Well, I'm 90 percent sure that its a S100. The S/N is 70397 and I ran that by Hans and he seemed to agree, not that I care, its still a great guitar. Keep in mind that I made some modifications to it. Regardless, that you very much for your recommendations.

Aristophis's other post said:
drilled two extra holes for additional volume controls and wired it like a les paul

This is what I'm going off of. The S-90 had dot inlays, no binding, and only master volume and tone. It also used the larger pickguard with the pickups mounted to it rather than to rings. Other than that they do have the same body style, and your modifications bring the electronics basically up to the S-100. In addition to three S-100s I have an S-90 of my own which is superb. In fact, the TKL case came with my S-90, which is how I know about the fit.

Aristophis

Reaction score
I found a good case for it, it is the electric guitar case that stew-mac sells in their catalog.

Qvart

Reaction score
Aristophis said:
I found a good case for it, it is the electric guitar case that stew-mac sells in their catalog.

You mean the one they show for Strats? Hmm...I'll have to take a look at that one.

I'm in the same boat - I got a '73 and a '74, neither one with the original case. The '74 came with this one:

11guitarincase.jpg

I have no idea who makes it. It's cheap, but the guitar actually fits pretty well.

As for the cases that came with the '90's reissues - the square ones don't work so well because the '70's models' necks angle up to steep in the case, which causes more pressure when closing the lid. The molded cases that came with (I think) the early years of reissues work better. I have one of my '70's models in a molded case.

As for your avatar - danerectal is right. That's an S-90 (no headstock inlay, no fingerboard binding, dots, full pickguard). But it really is just a stripped down version of the S-100. I used to have one of those too. If you wired it for two tone and two volume controls, all you need now is a phase switch. ;) Sweet guitar!

EDIT: Oops, just saw your thread from before where all that was covered. Regardless...

$50?!?!?!?!

Score!

kostask

Reaction score
Seems very similar to a Gator Lightweight case, shown here:

http://www.gatorcases.com/Default.aspx?Section=Products&Page=Details&CategoryID=4387&CatalogID=11147

The Stew-Mac may just be a similar idea, or it may be a private label version of the same case. Gator bags are available at some guitar shops, and the site shows online dealers as well (best to have a local dealer so that you can check fit). From memory, the Gator Lightweight cases are pretty inexpensive (the electric case, similar to the Stew-Mac case, is about $65 online, you can probably save by buying locally and saving on the shipping charges)..

Kostas