More solidbody Q/A: Guild S-100 vs. Dearmond S73

mad dog

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Thinking more about trying one of the Guild S-100s. At the same time, I'm aware that Dearmond's S73 was based on that S-100, less the phase switch. Have any of you folks tried both? Any comments on tone, playability, build quality, all the usual stuff?

Thanks so much. I've never seen either one in person.

MD

danerectal

Reaction score
It's not too much of a stretch to imagine that I've tried the S-73. I played one in Tucson and one at Davey-Bees here in Fargo. The main difference I noticed was the finish. It was okay, but just that. One was emerald and the other was natural, and neither were outstanding nor upsetting. My complaint was the thick poly finish which doesn't feel as smooth or sound as resonant. The pickups were actually very nice, and the playability was roughly on par with the later (98) reissue that I've played. What I can say is that they don't hold a candle to the 70s S-100s. If you're having trouble finding an affordable one (even a reissue) they aren't the worst you can do. You could wind up with an Epiphone G-310. :shock:

Hammer

Reaction score
danerectal said:
You could wind up with an Epiphone G-310. :shock:

Oh good gawd...don't even speak of such things! That was my first guitar back in 90/91...I wouldn't wish that flimsy thing on my own owrst enemy.

matsickma

Reaction score
I've owned or had access to 4 different DeA S-73 and owned a 1970's S100 and a 1990's reissue S100. ( the 1960's Polara S100 are totally different guitars and can't be compared to the sgish S100.)

Straight away the 1970's S100 is the real deal and the best of them all. The neck is slim and the finish what you would expect of a vintage guitar. They come with Guild full size humbuckers. However they will cost you the most ($600 to $1000 ish). The reissue S100 have SD pickups instead of the Guilds. The finish is heavier and the neck is more chunky. The upper $ tends to run lower than a 1970's model. The 1970's S100 with acorn carvings or the DeLuxe model with Bigsby can cost you up to $1500.

However the DeA are a great instrument for the $($300ish). They do have a very heavy poly finish which I don't care for. However I can say all the DeA were of similar quality and above value for the $. They come with GoldTone which can grow on you. However they typically are not set up very well so your got to spend time with them and get the intonation and truss up to par. The neck on the DeA S73 is chunkier than a Guild. The 1970's S100 is the slimist.

One thing I have noticed is that the mahogony used on 1960's and 1970's Guilds tend to be lighter in weight compared to the later ones. Additionally the mahogony on the DeA is heaviest. Is is important to note that DeA does use mahogony on the S73 and not the substitute woods you see on Korean guitarts you see today.

M