Is the Guild solid body line of guitars coming back?

Guildmark

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Dear Inibreated One,

Do you have a link to the post? Or can you copy and paste the news into a post here?

Yours truly,
Anxious Angus

danerectal

Reaction score
Looks like our very own Jahn doing most of the specutlating. I don't know how much hope I'd hold out for the leckies. I certainly wouldn't pass up a sweet deal on a vintage one quite yet...

Jahn

Reaction score
It was meeeee! Yep, Ovation and Hamer folks - how much will they be tied to what lines of Guild production? We'll see!

dklsplace

Reaction score
There were plans for import Guild electrics. Seems like they were going to make the announcement at NAMM back in '06, but obviously never made it happen. Last rumor I heard was that some bodies had, in fact, been made & sent to the US for finishing. They haven't turned up anywhere to be finished by US hands as far as I know.

Maxer

Reaction score
Man, wouldn't that be sweet. I'd love to see a new line of Guild solidbodies come out.

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Possibly the moving of the line to the Hamer/Ovation factory offers a hope. It wouldn't be much of an effort to make a run of Bluesbirds instead of Hamer Sunbursts. Or they could just build them in the Terada factory and call them CIJ.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Default said:
... Or they could just build them in the Terada factory and call them CIJ.
CIJ :? ... be kind ?? If they make any 'leccies in CT and considering they already make a pretty substantial line of solid-body guitars, it's hard to imagine them re-re-issuing the S100 ... but as you point out, no apparent reason not to re-re-issue either Bluesbirds or Starfires to at least take a shot at the Giboids.

danerectal

Reaction score
I don't know if Jol Dantzig would want to cave on the Hamer electric scheme. I read an article in Premier Guitar about his commitment to the Hamer name and concept and it doesn't appear to include cost-effectiveness or reissues. I understand that a lot of Hamer's founding designs were established concepts, but the way they're going now, I'd say the electric line is still dead and buried. Time will tell and I'd be pumped, but I haven't seen anything to get my hopes up.

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Agreed. :(
I'n not suggested that they would bury Hamer, but all you have to do is feed parameters into a CNC machine to change the shape and routings. OTOH, Guilds are still plentiful. Right now I'm lamenting that I can't justify going after that S-90 in FLA, but like a wise man once said, I'd have to throw something under the bus....

danerectal

Reaction score
Default said:
Right now I'm lamenting that I can't justify going after that S-90 in FLA, but like a wise man once said, I'd have to throw something under the bus....

I was eying that thing too. I don't like those tuners though...

What you say is true. It would take very little effort to tell a computer to tell a machine how to make a Guild. I'd say there could be a good market if they made them.

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
danerectal said:
What you say is true. It would take very little effort to tell a computer to tell a machine how to make a Guild. I'd say there could be a good market if they made them.
I don't think there would be that much of a market, one look at Ebay says a lot IMO.

And a CNC machine does not build guitars, especially not set neck ones. It makes the process faster, and probably more consistent, but that's about it IMO.

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Just to clarify, I was talking about Bluesbirds and the other solidbody types.
I know that people build guitars, but when it comes down to it, there are considerably fewer folks involved than there used to be. If you take away the need for a guy to shape a neck with a drawshave and there is no need for for a guy to hog out the control cavity with a Forster bit, then what you are left with is the guy glueing stuff together, the guy who finishes the thing and the guy who screws the pups in. It's the shape and design that differs, not the manufacturing requirements.

One of these days, I want to take a shot at building a guitar from scratch. I think it's 3672 on the list.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Default said:
... If you take away the need for a guy to shape a neck with a drawshave ...
Could make the neck with a duplicating lathe ... the way they used to make shoemaker forms, golf club heads, baseball bats ... models like this one might take a little more time though ..

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
That's exactly it. When Peavey first started up, they had a machine that could cut 6 necks at a time using a pattern. That's how they got acceptable results in the initial launch of their product. Hollowbody/acoustics are a different animal. I'd love to have a tour of the Martin plant to see how they do it. Nazareth isn't that far from here.

BreederCreature

Reaction score
I'd be pumped if they started producing new S-300s, not so much for S-100s. I don't know much about guitars and stuff, but I think SGs would dominate that body style. I feel the S-300 would be something different for people to try out.

Also, they could have different configurations: 2 humbuckers or 3 single coil (like the S-70s). Instead of going up against SGs, they'd be comparable to Telecasters and Strats.

Although, with my limited knowledge of this stuff, I could be completely wrong :D All I know is I'm getting my S-100 back from repair on wednesday, so I can finally play it live!

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Default said:
Nazareth isn't that far from here.

"I pulled into Nazareth, I was thinkin' 'bout a 'Dred;
I just need some thing that will feed my head,
"Hey, mister, can you tell me where a man might find a buy?"
He just grinned and shook my hand, and told me I better fly …"

Maxer

Reaction score
BreederCreature said:
I'd be pumped if they started producing new S-300s, not so much for S-100s. I don't know much about guitars and stuff, but I think SGs would dominate that body style.

I feel differently. As long as they came out with good materials and topnotch QC, I think the market for a comtemporary version of the S-100 would be there. After all, there's plenty of variations of SG out there - even in the Gibson line itself, never mind Epiphone and a gazillion clone companies churning them out - Tokais, Dillions, Birmys, etc. - so Guild reissuing a classic would be welcome, at least by Guild afficionadoes (who can be, if this board is any evidence, hard core). The body profile is also just different enough to please those who like the SG vibe but prize a different spin on an icon.

IMO, anyway. Cheers!