Guild tubes

Jeff Haddad

Reaction score
Don't know about collector's items as "Guild" tubes, but depending on the actual manufacturer they could be valuable. I think you may be able to get a manuf. code off them similar to what's on speakers. I haven't looked for awhile, but for instance 188-xxx (GE?) or 312-xxx (Sylvania?). Some I recall seeing are printed vertically in two columns. Check for some markings, etc. and there are places to look up the info.

Jeff

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Jeff.

Say, here's another of my looney ideas. You can put one amp on your left, and a second on your right, and then run the line from your guitar through a splitter and get a kind of stereo effect. Could you split those two lines and listen to four amps?

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Darryl,

When you say splitter do you mean an A B switch? I run my Taylor thru an A B switch, to my acoustic amp and the Roland a; b; or both. Not really too looney, sounds interesting sometimes.

Might be able to connect AB swithches sequentially to run unlimited amps????

I would think with 4 amps, or somewhere along the line the signal from the guitar might become diluted. ??????

Easy enough to try & see if it works. Only requirement is 4 amps, 3 switches & 1 guitar. Could get noisy

Someone probably manufactures a gizmo to do just what you imagine.

bobgoblin

Reaction score
if each amp has more than one input, you could chain them together by plugging your guitar into input one of your main amp, then taking a guitar cable plugged into input two of main amp & input one of 2nd amp. you could do this a few times & make one big daisy chain.

Benee Wafers

Reaction score
Hi Bobgoblin. No I don't think that would work.you would be plugging an input into an input. You would have to plug an output from the main into an input of the second and so on down the line.
Benee Wafers

john_kidder

Reaction score
Don - does that mean that the two input jacks are actually wired in parallel? Otherwise, how would the signal from Input 1 get live on the Input 2 contacts?

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
I think you'd have to OUTPUT there somewhere on amp #1 to an INPUT somewhere on amp #2.

All of this provided the diodes, condensers and tubes are wired compative concurrent, thus feeding megamilliamps through frequencies capacitaded and decapitated! However, always make sure that the frequencies are compacted so they'll fit through the little wire! NOTE: This should ONLY be attempted by a trained professional. If you screw up and leave the frequencies big, they'll burst through the wire and wecktwicity will spew out all over ya!

West :wink:

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Now it's starting to get looney. Mad geezer scientists, gonna plug in 7 thousand amplifiers together, turn them all on at once & cause Chicago to collapse with one guitar. Just to see if it can be done.

Please take pictures, I'm dyin to see it all.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
I know Jeff, Chicago hasn't been devastated like that since the fire! I was just happy to lend some insight.

West

bobgoblin

Reaction score
ya know how you can "jump" (jumper) channels on an old marshall or fender? same idea in effect. since i don't know squat about the mystical, magical voodoo that amplifiers hold within them, i can't explain any better than that. i read srv (& later a few of his 'clones') used to do that on stage & in the studio.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Bob,

Hey we're just kidding you, I know what you're talking about. Don't pay any attention to us....nobody else here does!

Have a great day,
West

Benee Wafers

Reaction score
Well WRL hasn't convinced me and neither has anybody else.
So I'm stickin with my story that input to input gets you nothing.
And if there ain't nobody on this forum who can well...........nuff said.
Benee Wafers

Benee Wafers

Reaction score
Y amean this one: " I think you'd have to OUTPUT there somewhere on amp #1 to an INPUT somewhere on amp #2. "
Ya that's what I'm saying but we got Bobgoblin and DKL not agreeing with that. And this has got to be one item where its a yes and a no, I hope ! :shock:
Benee Wafers

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Fire extinguishers might be a good thing to have on hand for the initial tests.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Are there OUTPUT jacks on acoustic amps? Mine doesn't have any, but I would certainly think if you had one and a second amp, it would work. My Roland has a L and R OUT and a SUB OUT.

West

bobgoblin

Reaction score
ok, i was looking some stuff up, but its from the internet, so, grain of salt & all...

on amps w/more than one input (4 input fenders, marshalls, etc, 2 input fenders & marshalls, etc...), but WITHOUT reverb, plugging the guitar in input 1, sending a jumper cable from input 2 into input 1 of the 2nd channel (like the vibrato channel on a fender) will chain both sections together. this gives you the ability to use all the tone controls interactively, as well as adding half a tube into the mix for an extra gain stage. if we did the same thing w/2 amps instead of one amp w/2 channels (not a channel switcher, just two separate channels), its called 'daisy chaining', i can only assume (dangerous word there) that the inputs are wired in parallel & that's why this works, but it does work, & can give yer amp a little push, too. i do this w/my '60 ampeg & my '68 bassman, if i'm not running them in stereo, that is...

oh, yeah, doing this on a two channel amp w/reverb will put yer signal out of phase, thinning out the tone. i don't know if the same happens when one amp has reverb & the other doesn't, i don't own any amps w/reverb. also, ground loop hum is (sometimes) a consequence, in which case, well, there are all sorts of remedies, some safe, some not...use common sense is all, ya know?

um, sorry, clarification needed: by "OUTPUT" you don't mean SPEAKER OUTPUT, right? you don't want to plug the speaker out of any amp into the front end of another, its a good way to blow up both, from what i've heard/read...the input daisy chain avoids this (again, i assume) because of the parallel input thing...