Chris Smither. Anybody else like this guy?

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Been a fan for 45 years, since I first heard Bonnie Raitt sing "Love Me Like a Man".

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
I'm a fan of Chris Smither's music. I have several of his CDs and was lucky to see him live at the "The Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival" while I was visiting my sister in SF. I notice in the above video that he is wearing a soft cast on his fretting hand... probably for carpel tunnel syndrome.

Here is one of my favorite Chris Smither songs. If you watch his fretting hand on the opening chords you can see where he makes an almost impossible stretch while keeping his thumb anchored on the low bass string! Check it out:

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Great links!

Bill, that stretch at :04 IS impossible! He's just doing it anyway! :wink-new: It even looks like an optical illusion on the clip - great stuff!

walrus

5thumbs

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Bill, that stretch at :04 IS impossible! He's just doing it anyway! :wink-new: It even looks like an optical illusion on the clip - great stuff!
walrus

I agree - can't happen. But you're right. Definitely great stuff! :tears_of_joy:

sailingshoes72

Reaction score

walrus

Yeah! It looks like he is double or triple jointed!

It may be one of the reasons he is wearing a soft cast on his fretting hand. Years of playing stretched chords like that will take it's toll. IIRC, Leo Kottke had wrist and hand problems a while back and had to undergo physical therapy and alter his playing position.

Last edited:

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
Big fan. Got to see him play up close in a small room in the early 2000s. No amplification. He played & sang beautifully.

-Dave-

geoguy

Reaction score
We've seen him play in a few small venues over the years. That board that he taps his feet on is a big part of his sound.

One show we saw consisted of a three-person song circle with Chris, Jorma K., & Patty Larkin. At one point, the three of them began a song together, but Chris soon stopped playing his guitar and just sang harmony while Patty & Jorma soldiered on.

After the song ended, Jorma turned to him and asked "What, can't you play in G?" LOL

I think Chris was simply enjoying what he was hearing the other two play, and chose to sit that tune out. Funny, nonetheless.

Kitarkus

Reaction score
I don't like him....I love him. Regular rotation. Super talented guy. Wife and I saw him play in Lawrence, KS years ago... Really great..

geoguy

Reaction score
Was just enjoying this Chris Smither clip, & recalled this thread. Funny-looking one-stringed-buzzing-electric-slide gizmo is a bonus (imo):