New toy I got it today

P-E-Z

Reaction score
Picked her up at factory today after the an Ovation Thinline pickup old style drop down battery box and active endpin jack.

Ovation 40th aniv. 1966 Balladeer K-1111 reissue.... (it was new)
Mine #43

Photos don't do it justice.... Killer tone!

CIMG0889a.jpg

P-E-Z

Reaction score
yup number 16....LOL I forgot to add the 1973 Country Artist

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Don't think I've ever tried one of those, Paul. Very nice.

Hey, as an aside, do you know how the New Hartford guys finished their guitars? Did they lacquer the tops before attaching them to the bowl, or did they just mask out the bowl?

(I'm meeting Kim tonight for dinner, maybe I'll just ask him! :) )

Frosty

Reaction score
Cool beans, pez. Yeah, the tone of some of the Ovations guitars can be pretty appealing... despite the fact that they always slide off my lap. :roll: Went used guitar shopping with my son a while back and for sure, the best sounding guitar in his budget was a beat old Ovation. Pretty nice neck too, as I recall.

P-E-Z

Reaction score
Chazmo said:
Don't think I've ever tried one of those, Paul. Very nice.

Hey, as an aside, do you know how the New Hartford guys finished their guitars? Did they lacquer the tops before attaching them to the bowl, or did they just mask out the bowl?

(I'm meeting Kim tonight for dinner, maybe I'll just ask him! :) )

Finish goes on last after the top on the bowl; then the finish is sprayed

P-E-Z

Reaction score
Frosty said:
Cool beans, pez. Yeah, the tone of some of the Ovations guitars can be pretty appealing... despite the fact that they always slide off my lap. :roll: Went used guitar shopping with my son a while back and for sure, the best sounding guitar in his budget was a beat old Ovation. Pretty nice neck too, as I recall.

This one shiny bowl slides around easy. You need to get used to the round back. Once you do get used doesn't really happen anymore. I went to an open at the Thomason Opera House virtually player had a vintage Martin or Vintage Gibson.
Everyone guitar was being mic'ed. I had brought a 1980 Ovation Legend 1117 that was ridden hard and put away wet repeatedly with me. I bought it at a Goodwill Industries online auction $200.01. First the sound man rush back to turn the volume it was much louder the other guitars that went before me. Sound wise 1 1950s J-45 Gibson was its equal and rest it was not even close. Here picts from.
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 1339088490

Those guitars were worth $2500 to $10,000. Old Ovations are a steal and way under valued. Kinda the Guilds were till real recently. In terms of playability, a properly set up Ovation is best playing necks in the business. You can get easily get 70's and 80's Balladeers, Custom Balladeers, Legends and Custom Legends can be easily had $300 to $500. If needs works New Hartford will take you if USA guitar.

taabru45

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
There is a rubberized ;material that you can put on the counters in recreation vehicles, or boats. It keeps the dishes from sliding around...if you get some of this and some double sided foam tape, you could put a bit of this on the area that sits on your knee....that will keep it from moving and not damage the guitar.....got to check me out some of those babies...thanks Pez.....Steffan