Digging this 12-string!

mad dog

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
First 12 string for me, and one of the two best Dearmonds I've tried yet (the other is the M-75T). The S-73 12. Plays easy, and sounds so nice. Some basement solo blues, channeling my inner Robert Junior Lockwood:

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10559185

Pretty too:

DEAS73-12_2.jpg

Thanks for listening!
MD

Brad Little

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Re: Digging this 12-string!Thread Veer

Nice axe, nice clip. Made me think of other 12ers. Anybody know what amp McGuinn used with his Rick with the Byrds?
Brad

Bill Ashton

Reaction score
Guild Total
Every picture I have seen from the "early" Byrds era has a backline of BF Fender amps...I presume Showman, but clearly might be something else. Don't have a image at hand, but if I was trying to go for that sound, its what I would start with.

I also understand that there was a lot of (tube)compression from the board in the studio; the Jangle-Box foot pedal is supposed to simulate that, even by McGuinn's endorsement. The original Byrds/Jim McGuinn Rics had a compressor built in which was supposed to simulate that sound...though the transistors/op amps used in that particular compressor are no longer available.

All of this is my understanding having read a zillion threads on the subject; I am sure someone with more empirical evidence can find me wrong, and I would love to hear what you have to say! I have an old Aria Diamonds 12-string ES335-style-hollow and that and a cheapo compressor gets me into the zone, so I have to think I am somewhat correct...

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Re: Digging this 12-string!Thread Veer

Brad Little said:
... Anybody know what amp McGuinn used with his Rick with the Byrds?
Hi Brad; don't know about gigging, but for recording - According to Gibson's webpage: "In 1957 Gibson’s parent company, Chicago Musical Instrument, acquired Epiphone .... The tube amps produced from 1959-61 were made in such small numbers that these early EA series have become highly sought after and very collectible ... The EA5 Emperor, produced from ’59-61, the EA10 Deluxe, made from ‘59-61 and the EA12RVT Futura ‘61-67 were some of the more popular amps in the 1960’s .... “Mr. Tambourine Man”, the iconic Byrd’s hit from 1965, was recorded using an EA14RV, more commonly known as the Epiphone Ensign. This grey vinyl 50 watt combo had two 10” speakers and was forever captured recreating Roger McGuinn’s jangling intro to this famous song penned by Bob Dylan."

LTG thread link.

Brad Little

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies about McGuinn's setup, gives me some idea what to look for next time I have some money for GAS.
Brad

mad dog

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
I was never even curious about compressors before, but this dearmond 12 string threw me a change up. I liked how the cheap Behringer compressor sounded with it, so just got a Diamond compressor. Works very well with the DA.

This is the same guitar used in that Hotel California clip (which sounds so good, I looked for an S73 12 ever since hearing it.) Chimey, bell-like sounds out of these 2k pickups. It also overdrives very nicely, but has to be pretty loud by the time you get there. Which is one way the compressor helps. Fattens up the chime at medium volumes, gives you a taste of the fatter drive tones.

Much as I like McGuinn and the Byrds (saw them many times), I go less for the jangle side of 12 string. More blues. More Robert Junior Lockwood. Something so smooth and soulful about how a 12 string does with blues and jazz.

MD

mad dog

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Bill: Thank you, I much appreciate that.

Here's the other clip from that same day. A rhythm workout, seeing how Chuck Berry's "Sweet Little Rock and Roller" might work with 12-string. Some soloing in there too

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10559184

Digging the low end bounce on this guitar. The recorder handles it well, but it was LOUD. My wife came downstairs and said "You're rattling the pictures off the wall." SORRY DEAR!!!!

MD