Pickup Recommendations

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I'm considering having a "custom" telecaster-style guitar built. It's a sort of a trade for some IT-related services, to a friend who builds electric guitars. He's quite good at it, and I'm confident that I'll wind up with a well-made guitar.

So... I need to choose pickups. I want that classic tele sound... meaty, punchy, and noiseless. The builder uses Lollar a lot, and they DO sound good. Do you guys have any others to suggest? I plan to stick with the standard 2-pickup tele configuration.

I know some of you will (correctly) advise that I should play a bunch of telecasters and evaluate from there. We don't have a lot of music stores locally, and most carry cheesy Asian-built guitars that generally sound crappy. The new guitars at the big-box music stores in Orlando have their name-brand pickups installed, so I don't think I'll learn much there, either.

Dave :D

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
It's SO difficult to pass up a good set up, so I just won't even go with my recommendation of.....TOYOTA pickups.
That would be way too easy.
No no, I won't even go there!! :lol:

Carry on, Dave,
Joe

cjd-player

Reaction score
Dave, I suggest that you PM our own Telenator.
He has a small company that is making custom pickups.

You might find something off the beaten path and that you really like.

mad dog

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Lots of great tele pickups out there right now. My favorites are by Don Mare. A set of his 2324 "Nancy" pickups in a partscaster now. These are not overwound, designed to capture the tone of Roy Buchanan's early 50s tele. I'm no Roy Buchanan, and this partscaster has it's own unique tonal touches - chambered ash body with a spruce top. It's not always the loudest guitar, but the sound could not be better. Especially on the neck pickup position. I have other pickups from Don too. I can highly recommend him.

MD

alpep

Reaction score
lollar
do the charlie christian in the neck position you will not be sorry

voodoo pickups
peter florance makes some nice stuff

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Thanks, guys.

I'm going with the Lollar T series, with the understanding that if I'm not happy I can go with something else.

I was close to going TV Jones, though. Did you know that Fender is selling a $5200 telecaster with TV Jones pickups? Really... a $5200 tele. Sheesh.

We now return you to Guild content...

fungusyoung

Reaction score
Guild Total
dapmdave said:
Thanks, guys.

I'm going with the Lollar T series, with the understanding that if I'm not happy I can go with something else.

I was close to going TV Jones, though. Did you know that Fender is selling a $5200 telecaster with TV Jones pickups? Really... a $5200 tele. Sheesh.

The Lollar Vintage T's are great. The Special T's are more modern & can get closer to P90 terrain. From what you've described, I think the Vintage T's would fit the bill. I have one in an Esquire & am very happy with it.

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
fungusyoung said:
dapmdave said:
Thanks, guys.

The Lollar Vintage T's are great. The Special T's are more modern & can get closer to P90 terrain. From what you've described, I think the Vintage T's would fit the bill. I have one in an Esquire & am very happy with it.

Yup... Vintage T's are the choice. Assembly starts this week, as the paint arrives Tuesday and the neck is scheduled to arrive from Warmouth on Wednsesday.

MojoTooth

Reaction score
Kinman Broadcaster set or Kinman 60's set. I think you will be much more satisfied with them than the Lollars, which are great too.

www.kinman.com

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I have to recommend my good friend Steff : www.steffsen.be

He actually winds a signature telecaster set for me, called "Seatsniffers specials" (my band's name is "the seatsniffers", and yes, you're allowed to laugh or make faces!)

bluzman

Reaction score

AlohaJoe

Reaction score
dapmdave said:
Vintage T's are the choice. Assembly starts this week, as the paint arrives Tuesday and the neck is scheduled to arrive from Warmouth on Wednsesday.
It's been a while... how's it coming along? Is it done? Got picks?

lcjones

Reaction score
WHOA!!! .. I just listened to those Kinman tele pups.... and WOW!

I liked the Broadcaster set but dang, that 60's set sounds hot as all get out!
I've bookmarked K-man for my tele project!

Sweet!