Any Gretsch Experts?

FNG

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I looked at a 1967 Gretsch Chet Atkins Country Gentleman today. It was in rough shape, bad bindings, corroded hardware, etc. The body looked in good shape though. Thinking about a project guitar maybe. Any ideas, recommendations, resources, etc?????

alpep

Reaction score
check out the gretsch pages. there are a bunch of cool folks there.
billy zoom posts and that is cool enough for me

FNG

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Pulled the trigger. 500 bucks. Need new binding all around, new frets and a new nut, and the hardware cleaned up. Looks in better conditon on the second look...I'll post some pics up later.

Steelpickin'

Reaction score
I am Green with envy! :mrgreen:
bought one new in 71

Pictures4websitensucMYSTEELPICSANDS.jpg

the only guitar I ever let go that I wish I had not. Those old Filtertron pickups can not be beat!...Pics!!! Pics!!!! Please :D

Steelpickin'

Reaction score
Sweet!! I see it still has the anti-scratch pad, thats Kool alot of them are missing. It will need some TLC but I promise you it will well be worth it in the end. The new ones are made overseas and while they are not too bad...next to an original like yours the are pieces of $#!% !! IMHO of course!!...man, I wish I could find a deal like that!! Good luck and keep us abreast of your progress in her restoration.
Larry

FNG

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Default said:
How's the neckjoint on that Effin? Still solid?

It seems in good shape. No hints of any separation at the joint or any gaps under the fretboad extension.

The hardware cleaned up nicely. Short soak in some vinegar, hit the green areas with a brillo pad. Worked good, didn't bother what remains of the gold plating.

Thinking of using Elderly for the binding repair. Pickups no workee though.

Anyone know where I can find a old Grover Imperial tuner, treble side? Sheared off the key retaining screw taking off the buttons to clean them up.. Grrrr... :roll:

FNG

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Default said:
http://blackriderguitars.com/

I called those guys. They seem brain damaged. :lol:

Since their website says they have a large variety of individual tuners, and to give them a call to see if they have what what you want, I did that. Brain Damaged Guy answers, and says they dont' sell individual tuners, only sets, and they don't have what I want. Seemed like I was harshing his buzz or something by asking all these tough questions.

Think I might have to call again to see if I can get a different response. :lol: :lol:

FNG

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
FNG said:
Default said:
http://blackriderguitars.com/

I called those guys. They seem brain damaged. :lol:

Since their website says they have a large variety of individual tuners, and to give them a call to see if they have what what you want, I did that. Brain Damaged Guy answers, and says they dont' sell individual tuners, only sets, and they don't have what I want. Seemed like I was harshing his buzz or something by asking all these tough questions.

Think I might have to call again to see if I can get a different response. :lol: :lol:

Second call went a little better. :lol: They didn't have one. Couple on ebay though....