Fiddle Build

Steelpickin'

Reaction score
Since I am trying to learn to play the fiddle I thought I could learn more by building one. This is a Stew-Mac Kit.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Kits/Fiddle ... e_Kit.html

Most of the really hard work is done for you..good thing :wink: here are a few thumbnails:

inlayed the purfling on the top and back

glueing top to sides and bottom

glueing on the neck

these kits are pretty easy. basically you just carve/sand the top and back, ( for thickness )carve and fit the bass bar, inlay purfling, cut the mortise joint for the neck and finish....theres a little more to it than that but its a lot of fun and not too hard....I am haveing a blast :)

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Steelpickin' said:
Since I am trying to learn to play the fiddle I thought I could learn more by building one. This is a Stew-Mac Kit.
....I am haveing a blast :)
I think there's a lot to be said/learned by making or working on your musical instruments. You certainly gain a better understanding of how things work and learn to appreciate the people who do this all the time.
Such was my recent experience of converting my F112 to an "F106."

And shouldn't we enjoy ourselves while we're here? :wink:

Take care,
Joe

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
I envy you guys. I'm just not a wood working kinda guy. I built a banjo and a Tele copy, basically all mechanical and electrical assembly, and I had somebody finish both of them for me. In fact, Don painted the guitar for me. :D

I can identify with what Bill Cosby said about his metal shop experience in high school: "No matter what project I started, they always turned out to be an ashtray." :lol: