Taylor 555, 12 string

taabru45

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
There was this gorgeous jumbo discontinued Taylor at the pawn shop. barely a mark on it, very very nice condition. $1300...I did play it for a couple of minutes...the action was excellent.......but as nice as it was...My guilded ears said, "you know that old F112 you have at home sounds better than this"....Hard to beat a guild, it is! :D Steffan

FNG

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I do think mahogany Taylors earn the tinny reputation. Most I've played seem really shrill to me. Don't get the same vibe from the rosewood or maple guitars...

chazmo

Super Moderator
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I played an all-mahogany 555 a couple of years ago and I was utterly underwhelmed. As you said... Guilded ears!

ac1dt3st

Reaction score
taabru45 said:
There was this gorgeous jumbo discontinued Taylor at the pawn shop. barely a mark on it, very very nice condition. $1300...I did play it for a couple of minutes...the action was excellent.......but as nice as it was...My guilded ears said, "you know that old F112 you have at home sounds better than this"....Hard to beat a guild, it is! :D Steffan
absolutely, and especially a Guild 12-string. nothing compares.

when i bought my F-50R, i walked into Willie's American Guitars, and sat down for about two hours in the acoustic room. i stated by playing a D-55; just felt and sounded so natural. after a while i picked up a vintage Martin dread. meh. so i tried a new Martin dread. meh. atypically, they had a used Taylor around, played that, and wondered what all the fuss is about...? grabbed a few Gibbys, J-45s and the like. just no presence, no "there there".

finally turned to the F-50R, and it just shut everything else down with that big sound, tone and balance. so i bought one. just nothing like a Guild. :D

as someone's signature says: twice the guitar, at half the price. ;)

ac1dt3st

Reaction score
JerryR said:
ac1dt3st said:
as someone's signature says: twice the guitar, at half the price. ;)

Can't think who :D
i kind of thought that was you, but i was too lazy to check in mid-post... :)
i knew that on this board, the record would be set straight sooner rather than later. :D

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
ac1dt3st said:
i knew that on this board, the record would be set straight sooner rather than later. :D
Since we recently raised the veer limit that could still take a while... :D

spiderman

Reaction score
Tried a 355 a little while back, one with the old neck and was extremely impressed by the playability, actually by everything but the sound :)
It was going for $995, without haggling.

Harmony H-173 bought in 1960 (retired), Alvarez AC60S 2008, Eastman AC320ce 2008 "Hybrid", Guild GAD-JF30E(blonde) 2008, Guild JF55 1997, Guild D25M 1974, Martin Grand J35E 2009