Make heavy metal sound normal?

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Is there a way to listen to Yngwie Malmsteen and process the sound so it's as if he's playing Clapton's strat or Page's Les Paul or Howard Roberts's hollowbody etc? I can't stand that heavy metal sound, but some of those guys sho 'nuff can play.

Juanito?

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Rats. If Johnny Cat ain't got the answere, then it can't be done.

BTW, that ewe tuber is exactly the concert I'm thinking of. As a kid, he practiced until his hands bled. Despite his speed, he is so precise that some of his guitars have the wood between the frets ground down so he can just use the frets themselves for stopping the strings.

stclrob

Reaction score
If you guys think Yngwie sounds bad, try Ulver's Nattens Madrigal. The tone of that album is often compared to chainsaws. :lol: :lol: :lol:

hideglue

Reaction score
Interesting. I haven't heard all of his work (only the early albums), but I always think of Yngwie's tone as pretty straightforward;
Strat/Marshall/Overdrive

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Darryl Hattenhauer said:
Is there a way to listen to Yngwie Malmsteen and process the sound so it's as if he's playing Clapton's strat or Page's Les Paul or Howard Roberts's hollowbody etc?

Have your wisdom teeth removed. Everything sounded mellow and dreamy when I was zoned out on percecet.

stclrob

Reaction score
hideglue said:
Strat/Marshall/Overdrive
DOD 250 pre-amp overdrive. He has a signature pedal now too which is essentially the same pedal. I think he uses Dimarzio single coils in his strat.

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I used to have a Guitar Player with all the info on his rig and some extensive interviews. All lost in the great suburban migration. :(

BluesDan

Reaction score
From Defaults MIA issue of GP:

Scalloped fretboard strat with Dimarzios, Marshall 50 watt heads, Marshall cabs containing Celestion Vintage 30 speakers, a Samson UHF Synth 5 wireless, two Korg D L8000's, a TC Electronic G-force, two Boss NS-2's, a Boss BF2 flanger, OC2 Octave, and DOD Overdrive 250 preamp.

Pedalboard includes Bradshaw switching system, Roland DC10 analog echo, Dunlop crybaby wah, and Roland PK-5 MIDI connected to an E-mu Vintage Keys synth module.

This set-up was for his 2000 tour according to GP, so of course things have most likely changed. The "rig" issues of GP are some of the most interesting.