HOYER archtop, Whats it worth?

southernGuild

Reaction score
South of South Sydney, New South Wales, AUSTRALIA
Its a HOYER , "EXPO" archtop guitar, German made, approx mid 1960's...acoustic only ( no pick-ups on this model ) blonde ( unstained plywood), chrome hardware, white plastic raised pickguard, plastic pearloid inlay, all original and in good shape. He was given it by a neighbor that no longer wanted it....It plays and sounds great and has a real vintage vibe to it. I like it, and I want to make him a fair and informed offer for it but I am having a hard time finding any real info on its value. Seems about $400-500 US. can be about right , but not sure....could be less ( given its condition and build ), could be More due to collectability.....I dont know. It does not compare to a Guild at all in build and quailty, but still....it IS NICE! IS THERE ANY LIST THAT SHOWS THIS INFO? The GUITAR PRICE GUIDE BOOK ? That should give a good evaluation. Do any of you know about this brand....etc. Anybody have one? seen them? Any info will be appreciated.

marcellis

Reaction score
I can't say what it's worth. Hoyer is a German maker. They made some really fine
guitars back in the 1960's. Maybe they still do. I owned two of their flat-tops
and I loved them.

southernGuild

Reaction score
Thanks Marcellis, yes, they have a cool home site. And they still making guitars....and the old ones are very nice. seems they made from the cheap end on through Mid-priced and on up to some real beauties now. None of my guitar books has info on them at all. This one, whilst very appealing to the eye...has a few light scratches and dents, and the binding is broken off the side of the fretboard of one side. Probably puts it at 'average" to less in ware and condition. NO structural issues however, and the neck seems fine. Judging from the build quality and materials used, compared to their other models, this one is probably their cheapest archtop...no stain, natural, pearloid plastic inlay,etc......but it does have good vibe. The more I play it the more I like it!......so for a cheapie....its a cool cheapie! Just want to make sure of its real value....bookwise. So I can make an informed offer on this one.
Thanks again

geoguy

Reaction score
My copy of an '09 guitar price guide has a brief entry for Hoyer. For 1960's acoustic guitars (archtop or flat-top) it lists a range of $200 to $300 for one in excellent condition.

edit: just noticed a photo of a Hoyer archtop in that same book. White pickguard, venetian-style cutaway, & unusual f-holes (somewhat similar to the cats eye soundholes on some Gretsch Synchromatic models). Nice looking guitar, actually.

southernGuild

Reaction score
THANKS GEOGUY.....That actually seems to be closer to what I think too, Judging by the build quality , pearloid plastic, and hardware on this model, and the '09 guitar price guide is certainly an excelent reference. I have found a few that have sold on ebay, similiar to better condition than this one with cool vintage cases. They sold for $250- $300, and a nice 12 string going for about the same. So, yes, the book is reflecting sales. They do have electrics..and thats where they start to move up into better build and tuners etc...Nice guitar for that price really......but Im wondering if id be better off putting THAT cash toward a Guild archtop in the future, as these are nice but not nearly made as well as the Guilds. Still,...It plays and sounds nice.....has "vintage vibe', and the damage seems to be mainly cosmetic at this point. It would be a nice project to fix her up ......and PLAY.
Thanks for the info Geo....thats a good help, and confirms what ive found by snooping about the web. Ill let you know which way it all goes. Cheers. Southern