know this one Capn'?

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hi Pascal: that's the same as the GA30RV in my siggie. That same amp whiffed here on eBay at $1,000 MIN. Recent sale of a sister model w/ 6L6s and 15" speaker here (except for the upper back panel, an old re-cover). The CL model is being offered at the top of the market but they are exceptional amps ... very 1950s sound but with reverb ... has a choke to stiffen the typical Gibson loosey-goosey power supply and, with the added speaker, it moves noticeably more air than a typical 12" combo ... it's a step up from the standard Gibson grind-boxes of the era. If the CL model had its original speakers, it would help justify the asking price. If you think you might be interested and because it's so close, it'd be worth auditioning. J

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Thanks John,
As much as I would love to go plug a strat in and take a listen, I am going to have to apply the brakes on the "Benjamin forkin'" behaviour, as I just got myself a sweet christmas present in that DV-52 (See ebay thread)....... But man is it tempting! And the proximity,as you mentioned, makes it even harder for me to kick that little person with the red head and the horns on the forehead that keeps telling me "go ahead! you only live once!" followed by an ear piercing nasaly laughter, away. :evil:
I think a good Burgundy might help me settle this conundrum under a more relaxed and pragmatic approach..... :lol:

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
If it weren't in such good condition / seller didn't expect so much, I'd probably be more interested in it. Speaking of wine ... and getting stuff. I may have to have you come back by and check out my GA20T ... some recent tube changes have pushed volume and tone up considerably showing off the 5879 in channel two in its best light ... which is another way of saying that if the GA20T hadn't recently perked up, I'd probably be on this amp.

Can't say enough nice things about the GA30RV especially with good speakers .... I had a Celestion G8L in mine (thanks again Steve :D ) along with the P12N ... a cross between a Pro and a Super Reverb ... but with less headroom which, at the volumes I play at, means almost nothing to me. The guy who bought mine lives out in Wellington ... he's busy alienating his wife with it :wink: J

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Always up for a visit and a good conversation with you John, and check your stuff out....
Yeah that song was appropriate, thanks for the reminder!!! :lol:

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Forgot to mention that the CL amp is missing a few ciggie burns :wink: One of our BBers Valcotone built an 'A/B' amp with a 12AX7 in channel 1 and a Gibson-style 5879 in channel 2; he also owns (owned?) a GA40LP which has 5879s in both channels. His comments were to the effect that it was the 'electronic context' (all the cheap Gibson parts) that gave the 5879-Gibson amps their tone charm. :shock: Anyway, we'll get together soon; you really have to hear the amp; really nothing else like it.