Gretsch 6165 on the way

mad dog

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
It's the "Variety Plus", a valco made (I think) 2x12 from the mid 60s. 30-35 watts, cathode bias, SS rectified I believe. Has Jensen small magnet C12PS speakers, an unearthy, beautiful reverb, plus a tremelo which if it's not actually magnatone type vibrato, sure sounds like it.

I missed the auction; Buyer couldn't pay up, lucky for me!:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Gretsch-6165-Variet ... 4a9cde538d

I let one of these get away years ago. This one looks to be in great condition, though knobs were swapped out. And a reasonable price. Hoping for the best. The one I remember had a rich, warm sound, not much like anything else except maybe the Magnatone 260 a bit.
MD

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hi Michael and congratulations on your new amp. The crowd over on our BBer Valcotone's Chicago 51 Valco BB can answer whether Valco made it or not. Having asked a similar question over there about Sano amps, it seems to go like this; if it's a Gretsch-badged amp and it isn't an accordion amp, Valco made it. If it's a Gretsch-badged accordion amp, Sano made it. A good, knowledgeable bunch of people there who are crazy about their Valcos. J

mad dog

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
John;

I believe it is valco made. The mysterious part is the trem/vibrato. Labelled "vibrato" on the amp. By itself, that means little. Except here, it actually sounds magnatone type vibrato, and was even advertised as such back in the '60s. But the magnatone gurus say it isn't.

Nothing like a little mystery to spice up music. I also like the way the reverb pan sits in it's own compartment, under a shelf at the bottom of the cab, under the lower part of the split chassis. Do any other amps do this? Thanks.

MD