Guild Superstar Amplifier

wyndworks

Reaction score
Hello LTGites,
I am a newbie here on LTG. I found this site looking for information about my Guild Superstar amp - Serial No. S1117. I may have missed this information on this site somewhere but I am going to ask anyway. Are there any schematics for this amp floating around? Does anyone know how I can date the Superstar? Any information will be greatly appreciated. This amp has been in my basement for several years and used to work. I was cleaning it out yesterday and found out a tube (one of the 12ax7's) was missing and that somehow the cardboard tube cap (I guess it is a cap) was broken where it was screwed into the amp and a solder joint came loose. I will get into fixing those known problems but wanted schematics just in case those fixes don't work. Are parts available? I am not trying to restore this to original, but use it to play with. Any and all advise will be gratefully received. Thank you guys in advance.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hi wyndworks and welcome to LTG. At the bottom of my post is a PM button; hit it and send me a note including your email address; I have a schematic labeled Guild Thunderbird / Superstar and a couple of others I can send you. The most reliable way to date the amp is using the EIA codes stamped into the side, or printed on the back, of the pots. This page will help you ID the mfr and interpret the date coding.

Not sure what you're referring to but the 'cardboard' cap doesn't usually screw into anything. If you're going to mess with it, I suggest you drain the DC out of it first ... uh ... and unplug it too. If you don't have a low value/high rating resistor, take a screwdriver with an insulated handle and short it; touching the tip of the screw driver to the hot post(s) in the center of the cap and the shaft of the screw driver to the lip of the chassis at the same time. Might get a spark ... it's ok if you flinch :wink: hold it there for 30 secs or so.

Got pics? Good luck. CJ

wyndworks

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply CJ. I sent you a PM. I know the amp has been changed a little because some of the knobs are not the same as I saw on a picture of the Superstar. Do you know what years they were produced by Guild?
On another note. I just had the neck re-set on my D-40 and it is the best sounding guitar in the world now that I can play it. My D-35 was the winner in that first position before this one got fixed. I think I may have to have it re-fretted soon too. The D-40 is really beat up 'cause it sat in my sister's closet for about ten years with no case leaning against the wall. Made me want to cry. So I took it from her a few years ago and finally had the money to have it fixed. What a pleasure. As soon as I can figure out how to upload pictures I will do that.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hi Lawrence; email sent with the schematic and a link to instructions on how to upload / download pics; can't paste in or attach files to posts. My best guess on the year/s produced would be '67-'70, but we have another BBer who can maybe confirm or correct. Good luck. CJ

wyndworks

Reaction score
Thank you CJ. I am printing it out as we "speak". I have a friend who fiddles around with buildingn amps and as soon as I can I am taking it to him to look at. He may also be able to shed some light on this amp.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Does it look like this?: The amp in the pic has an 18" speaker, same as yours? Good luck with it! CJ

superstar01.jpg

wyndworks

Reaction score
Looks just like that but it has a 15 inch speaker. The back of the amp is missing another tolex covered board so it is completely open. The speaker has a large, about 6 inch, square magnet but the label is missing. Also the handle on the top is missing but it has the hole and spring on the bottom where a caster set went?

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
My error; the adverlit (barely) says 15" ... I read it as 18". Square magnet ... chances are the speaker is a CTS; do you see a 6-digit EIA code on either the magnet or the lip of the frame with 137 as the three leading digits? Yes; hole in bottom where the caster went.

wyndworks

Reaction score
I have decided to retube the whole amplifier. It will cost about $100.00 for the 8 tubes and I figure the old ones can be spares until I can get them tested. I am really interested in hearing this amp to see what all the hype is about. And I love playing a strat through a 15 inch speaker for some reason. I guess it cuts down on some of the highs. Anyway, I am going to figure out how to post pix later on today.

wyndworks

Reaction score
On another note - Does anyone know if there are originals or reproduction knobs for this amp? See picture above for reference. Thanks!