Guild Thunder 1 Twin Bluebook Value and Dating

adam79

Reaction score
Anyone know the bluebook value of the Guild Thunder 1 Twin amps? They have the original CTS speakers (one of them is missing the CTS sticker). The amp also have Telefunken preamp tubes, and I believe all the other tubes are Telefunken as well.. although they are labeled Guild, they were made in W. Germany (same as the 12ax7s), so I'm assuming Guild placed an order with Telefunken to make the tubes for this amp, which would explain why it just says Guild. The amp is in immaculate condition, pretty much mint, besides the missing CTS sticker.

Also, is there a way to figure out what year my amp was made?

Thanks,
-Adam

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
adam79 said:
Anyone know the bluebook value of the Guild Thunder 1 Twin amps? Also, is there a way to figure out what year my amp was made?
Hi Adam; can't help with a Bluebook value ... honestly not sure there is one. As far as the year it was made, if you open the chassis and shine a flashlight on the pots, there will be a code stamped into the side ... sometimes in ink on the back. Anyway, get the mfr's code and Go Here. This is the same amp you were inquiring about last August isn't it? Did you ever get it repaired/cleaned up? Got any pics you can post of it? The T1 twin version is pretty rare. CJ

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
adam79 said:
capnjuan said:
Got any pics you can post of it? The T1 twin version is pretty rare. CJ
I have it on craigslist. Here's the link: http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/msg/1475556573.html Does anyone have a link to the Ad for this amp? Also, are the Twins 12 or 24 watts? The CTS speakers are 12", right?
Hi Adam; thanks for the link ... nice-looking amp. The twin 6GW8s put out 10-12 watts irrespective of how many speakers are connected. You'd have to measure but my understanding is that they are 12" speakers. At the risk of annoying you, you didn't mention whether you'd had it fixed or not; did you? Good luck with your sale. CJ

adam79

Reaction score
capnjuan said:
At the risk of annoying you, you didn't mention whether you'd had it fixed or not; did you? Good luck with your sale. CJ

It was never broken. I flipped the polarity switch on the back, and it works perfectly; it still has the original 2 prong power cord.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
adam79 said:
capnjuan said:
At the risk of annoying you, you didn't mention whether you'd had it fixed or not; did you? Good luck with your sale. CJ
It was never broken. I flipped the polarity switch on the back, and it works perfectly; it still has the original 2 prong power cord.
There's a stroke of luck; good luck with your sale. CJ

matsickma

Reaction score
Guild released the Thunder 1-Twin in the later part of 1968 where it's intended market was as practice bass amp an it was actually marketed as "The Baby Bass" amp. In 1968 Guild came out with the next evolution of their amps and the T1-Twin was one of them. At that same time Guild issued the new Thunderbird 2-12 amp and the Superbird series. The T1 Twin had a very short life and may only have been offered for about a year. Literature of Guild amps in 1969 don't show it in the inventory. This amp has 2-10" (NOT 2-12") speakers (cts-I think).

The cabinet size is the same size as the larger T1 RTV. The T1-Twin is really the best of the T1 series without including the T1RVT model. However I have only seen two sell on ebay and they sold for less than the smaller T1!? I think that was just a fluke. A T1 Twin in good condition should sell for around $350.

I picked up a T1-Twin many years ago that was in pieces. I eventually mounted a single 15in CTS speaker in it and sold it to a guy in Europe. It sold for somewhere in the $300's.

M

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
matsickma said:
... This amp has 2-10" (NOT 2-12") speakers (cts-I think).
Thanks Mike; would be a matter of an inch or two whether the cabinet would take 12" speakers. J

JazzWest

Reaction score
What keeps the value down on Guild Thunder 1's is the fact you no one makes the 6GW8 power tubes, you only have a choice of old stock (last time I checked they were around $30ea). As supply diminishes what good is the amp? Some have converted to 6BM8's but not the same tone as I understand. People who understand this tube shortage problem won't shell out more than $200 - $250 and even cheaper. I scored a mint '66 Thunder I off my local Craig's list for $110. Greatest amp in it's size/class, like a Princeton with a Voxy tone stack.

If you are clueless and fall in love with the great tone, money is no object until you realize you can't just purchase new power tubes for these :(

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hi Jazzwest and Adam; if you are looking for them, our man Coastie has a sizable stash of 6GW8s. With some experience with both 6GW8s and 6BM8s, I think the 6BM8's tone is warmer and fatter. Since I prefer warmer and fatter, I think it's a better-sounding tube but ... like I said, I prefer Gouda ... others prefer Swiss. :D CJ

adam79

Reaction score
matsickma said:
Captain Bob is selling tube sets for Guild amps. Here is a listing for a Thunder 1. Spending $100 for a set of tubes for a rare vintage amp doesn't strike me as steep in price. I would be suprised if you would ever play that amp enought to ever replace them again.

http://cgi.ebay.com/GUILD-Thunder-1...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item5ad4face7b

M

It's not the tubes, I just had to flip the polarity switch on the back, or plug the cord in the opposite way. The tubes are actually all Telefunkens. The pretubes are definitely tele's, as is says so on the tubes. As far as the other ones, they say Guild, but their also made in W. Germany, so I assume Guild contracted Telefunken to make the tubes for these amps. This amp sounds great.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
adam79 said:
... As far as the other ones, they say Guild, but their also made in W. Germany, so I assume Guild contracted Telefunken to make the tubes for these amps.
Hi Adam; I think the term of tube-art that applies is 're-branding'. There's almost no chance the tubes were manufactured especially for Guild; whoever made them just painted Guild on them instead of etching / painting their own name on them. The 6GW8 and the 6BM8, because they are 'two tubes in the same bottle' offering another tube section but without another socket, were popular in Euro table radios of the 50s and 60s. The Euro makers; Telefunken, Amperex, Mullard, Siemens, Tungsram ... they all competed in the market on the basis of tone and price. In the US, the market for 6GW8s wasn't as strong so the mfrs weren't as responsive ... the point being that the Euro 6GW8s, although more spendy, are often considered the better-sounding tubes. J